Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

what speed with this engine???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

what speed with this engine???

Old 03-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what speed with this engine???

Ok ill lay it out quick, aeromarine titan .21, speedmaster drive, what speeds can I get with this engine and what props to start with on it....thanks, a link to the page also[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000023058&I=LXALL8&P=K]O.S. .21[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52575.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	436794  
Old 04-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: what speed with this engine???

Warp 9.3! It should be a good mid to high 40's engine. There are so many variables that get in our way that it's hard to give you a solid number.
The factors that we have to deal with start at nitro percentage, the right prop, proper tuned pipe length, the weather and too many other things to think of.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Vertical3-D

Awesome, these are cheap at 140 buck i believe it is, I would run a mac tuned pipe(3.5cc of course) Propwise I dunno what boat like this usually run, so a suggestion will help out, last piece of the puzzel, Ill go with this OS .21 because If it does that speed and I know an OS will be a sweet running engine...thanks again Ron, I should be able to build it fairly soon since then engine wont cost me so much now, Prolly start in the next week or two ordering the stuff,
Old 04-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The good old Octura X-440/3 is usually a good place to start. They do now have the 2-blade and the M-440 (the M is a factory modded prop with some tounge area removed) or a Prather 215. From there you can figure out if the boat is happy with that one or wants more or less prop.
On my .21 mono I've probably tried 6-8 props to find the one that the boat liked. Find one that works and get a second one for those "Just in case" times. Work on getting the basic setup dialed in before messing too much with props.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Vertical3-D

Ill try the X-440/3 first, cant pass up the look or the 3 blade as a starting point, they are 42 bucks balenced and sharpened at offshoreelectrics
Old 04-01-2006, 06:59 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest balancing the prop yourself to save the money. It is very easy to do. I have also heard there is a nice sticky on prop sharpening.

EDIT: It is in this forum

Ryan
Old 04-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Vertical3-D

Yeah I may try, But IM building a high end boat and at those speeds and RPM I was figuring Id just let someone who is good at it do it, Plus I dont have the tools I should have to do that properly..