Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Building Timber

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Building Timber

Old 04-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Hirns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Timber

If I were to build a 18 to 20" nitro vee boat, then what type and thickness of timber would you guys recomend for the hull and deck surface? Four bulkheads and the stern should do the trick latterally, again what timber and thickness? Would I get away with ply sringer engine mounts and balsa for the hull and deck if it has been doped (is it still a common term?) ??? If not what about ply stringers, balsa hull and deck which as been fibreglassed? Many thanks!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Building Timber

hi hirns id stay away from balsa for a nitro engine its just not strong enough.id say use 1/8 ply for the stringers and bulkheads double up on the transome for attaching your rudder etc.use 1/16 thick ply for the hull and deck.if you cant find 1/16 you can go all 1/8 ply then all you do is get some slow set epoxy i use 3hr and using a credit card or similar spread a thin coat over the whole hull sanding between coats ,two should do it.inside use an old brush and you can use a bit of cloth on the seems for added strength.then shes ready for some paint!!..for that size boat id say a size 15 to 20 engine would be a good choice.if its a sports engine you want theres lots of cheap ones about if its a higher performance engine you want id say try the os 20 ive heard good things about it using a flexi shaft and surface drive using octura parts.i think ron olson has a good example of one somewhere if you ask him.i have some plans for a mono hull if you want em its for a gas mono [img][/img]48 " long but you can scale them down i did mine 36 for a size 60 sc plane engine i converted to marine use using a simple cooling coil i made myself i just bought a fly wheel to fit and she starts easy .heres a pic of mine shes still not been run yet but when i get some time i will post some pics and a review of it hopefully soon!!mines a submerged drive set up as i found it more cost efective for me.by the way only use marine ply or birch ply it is expensive but unless you know what to look for its the only way to go.i used outdoor grade ply but you get some rubbish with voids in it and unless you know what to look for its best to play safe and get the best stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92516.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	436953  
Old 04-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Even if you're putting that .10 in there you're going to find out that 18-20" is going to be a squeeze once you try to put everything in. A 24" hull gives you a lot more room.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:02 AM
Hirns

Thanks for the replies.

Some further questions.

I've found a source for timber here in Aus.

What do you know of North Eastern Timber? Birch sheet is available in 1/16 for the hull, but not 1/8. Could I glue it grain diagonally double thickness to make bulkheads?

Here's the site so you know what I've got at hand: http://www.hobbyco.com.au/category.php
When you talk about apoxy to seal it do you mean fiberglass resin or aladite type resin?

Ron if I go to say 24" will I win or loose top end speed with the extra flotation, but extra drag? I rather a tight fit than a reduction in top end speed.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:37 AM
martno1fan

two part epoxy is the stuff we use the same stuff you need to glue the hull together. go to your loacal model shop or shop online.there are lots of diff ones but any that they sell will do just make sure its 3 hr stuff that means its touch dry in 3 hrs but it takes 24 hrs to fully set.you get about 45 mins working time with it so plenty of time to line things up.for sealing the hull you can also use resin but the epoxy is just as good my tip is warm it up slightly before you mix it i just sit the bottles somewhere warm for a bit 9in the sun or in a bowl of warm not hot water to make it more runny so it spreads easyer).yes you can double up the thickness of the 1/16 i wouldnt bother doing it cross grain so to speak just glue two pieces together .you wont lose any noticable top speed if you ask me . it would be very tight.bye all means do a mock up in card board and try it if you like.just tape the card together and it will give you a good idea of the build and how everything will fit!!.send me an email ill send you those plans if you like .its a simple build and looks great!!.just remember for the transome you will need 4 pieces glued together to bring it to 1/4 thickness.thats an outer transome of 1/8 and an inner of 1/8 .
Old 04-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Hirns

Thanks for the advice. Still procrastinating over which way to go as the timber olone here will be about the same cost as an imported Dumas kit. You have sent me the plans earlier, thanks again.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:13 PM
martno1fan

good god is the timber that expensive?,why dont you try marine ply instead of birch ply its a little cheaper.not sure where you will get it there but im sure if you do a search on the net you will come up with somewhere!!.or you could try a local boat yard they might sell you some ,its worth a try.as for buying a hull its certainly easyer than building one but not nearly as satisfying.glad you got the plans my memory must be playing tricks lol.i actually use outdoor grade ply you need to be carefull cos a lot of it has voids in the centre as you cut it it ends up hollow which means its useless but i had mine cut at the shop for free and it had none so i bought it,if id seen any voids id have said no thanks lol.you could try it but unless you know what your looking at i wouldnt advise it.as long as it has no voids and you cover it in epoxy inside and out it will be no problem.i know some guys will slag me off for saying it but thats what i used and its well sealed and the glue its made from is weather resistant as its used for outdoor use.if you seal it well its not gonna see any water anyway .its your choice mate good luck.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Back to your first post, 1/8" is WAY too heavy in a boat that small with the possible exception of bulkheads. You're only going to need 1/32" to skin the boat with.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm in favor of the 1/16th ply for the frames, 1/8th for engine rails, 1/16th for the bottom and 1/32nd for the sides. The 1/4 transom is almost a given for any nitro boat
Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 AM
cheeseclip

use 3-4mm custom wood. light and strong. make sure to seal it good tho
Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Hirns

Custom wood?? Please elaborate.

Hirns.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:57 PM
cheeseclip

like powder wood except its in sheets and heaps stronger than other stuff and very flexible but only if you want it flexible. yay 400th post
Old 04-17-2006, 06:28 PM
martno1fan

powder wood? whats that? hope you dont mean hardboard lol you have to use good wood ie marine ply or birch ply or at least a good quallity ply and seal it well.you cant just use any old rubbish .