Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

SOME QEUSTIONS ABOUT 42" ABC FREEDOM .12 PLEASE MOVE THIS TO NITRO BOATS

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

SOME QEUSTIONS ABOUT 42" ABC FREEDOM .12 PLEASE MOVE THIS TO NITRO BOATS

Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 PM
TRAXXASS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOME QEUSTIONS ABOUT 42" ABC FREEDOM .12 PLEASE MOVE THIS TO NITRO BOATS

I just picked up this complete boat at a garage sale and have some questions about it.It is an ABC freedom rz it measures 42" it has a dynamite .12r outboard belt drive motor on it, it doesnt seem to be a large enough motor for a boat this size, has anyone bolted up a bigger motor to this outboard unit? or modded the hull for an inboard? also the hull has a small crack in the stern, what are your recomendations for fixing that?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:56 PM
TRAXXASS

Default RE: SOME QEUSTIONS ABOUT 42" ABC FREEDOM .12

oops! moderator can you move this to the nitro boat topic?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: SOME QEUSTIONS ABOUT 42" ABC FREEDOM .12 PLEASE MOVE THIS TO NITRO BOATS

Moved.
The engine on there is a "sport" engine, not exactly a speed demon but the boat is made for the beginning boater. ABC Hobby has closed up shop but the molds are now in Asia somewhere so you'll see their stuff on eBay. The other thing that the engine was hung on was the Laserline tunnel boat, now known as the Dolphin. You should be able to bolt on a better engine if you wanted to but I wouldn't go overboard on upgrades.
If it is only a crack, you may be able to fix it with some CA glue. If it's in a stress area then you should make a patch to help strengthen it.
Oh yeah, if you see the eBay ads and it shows that the boat is capable of 55-65 MPH, don't believe it.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:35 PM
TRAXXASS

Default RE: SOME QEUSTIONS ABOUT 42" ABC FREEDOM .12 PLEASE MOVE THIS TO NITRO BOATS

Thanks Ron![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-08-2006, 03:19 PM
TRAXXASS

Still need more info please.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

fix it and run it, have a blast, when your ready for a faster boat move up to a new setup, dont dump loads of cash into it and then not be happy with it, rather just get so,ething you'll really like when that time comes...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:21 PM
floon

I know this is an old forum, but I'm annoyed at what other people have said. I have two of these ABC Hobby Freedom RZ's and they are capable of a lot of up grades.

First of all, ABC Hobby was never in US. They have always been a Japan based company, and Horizon Hobby was their US distrubutor. All thier stuff is made in Japan. Horizon Hobby simply dropped ABC and now you can only get ABC stuff through ebay or directly through ABC's direct line or e-mail. I actually just ordered a Super Hawaii kit through them 2 weeks ago.

My first Freedom still has the stock out drive but with a .21 O.S. nitro.
The first upgrad was a simple motor swap and nothing else. I used the .15 Traxxas marine, and the Freedom jumped up from 21mph to 29mph on juggs gun. Now with the .21 it runs 36mph on the radar, and would be faster if it didn't have the stock out drive. The belt in front of the prop causes crazy amounts of cavitation and the boat doesn't perform like it's capable of. I of course had to re-inforce the transom with fiber glass when I went to the .21, and then I pumped some "great stuff" foam insulation in the bow for both weight and anti sink. Without the weight it would get airborne and flip around 30mph.

I wouldn't try to mod this boat for an inboard, the radio tray is in a wierd spot, and you'd basically destroy it.. Unless you're great with fiber glass, just stick to out boards, and here's why...

My second Freedom has Dual O.S. MAX-21XMs on it. Those are the engines with the outdrive already assembled. The boat runs 73mph on radar, and did require a ton of mods. I drilled 4 holes in the side of the boat and pumped it full of resin, and while it was still wet I lined the skegs with balsa wood. Then I filled up the entire hull with Great stuff, and patched my holes up with fiberglass. The transom was double fiber glassed as well. The boat sits nice in the water and handles great. I've got about $500 invested including the boat, and it's a real blast running it.

Don't listen to these people that say "don't pour tons of money into it". If you know what you're doing, and you really like the boat, do whatever you want!

fLoOn

Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: floon
My second Freedom has Dual O.S. MAX-21XMs on it. Those are the engines with the outdrive already assembled. The boat runs 73mph on radar...
My only comment on the above is it would be interesting to see how this boat does on a measured course with certified timing equipment. Alternatively, with a properly calibrated, accurate radar gun...
Old 08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Chuck, I just went in and looked at the IMPBA records for classes that the boat could possibly fit in and found that it would be just under the records by about 3 MPH IF it could actually run those speeds.
I want to buy the radar gun!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:18 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Yup, IF. I saw a very well setup twin tunnel with .21 XMs at the Charleston tunnel race this spring. It was impressive, but was nowhere near the quoted speeds. Two of these engines won't put anywhere near the HP to the prop that a single .45 inboard would.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:13 PM
floon

Lmao, typical noise.
The boat not only gets to "those speeds" on a properly tuned radar, but also carried a GPS unit that fast. I never said the boat was race ready and could keep up in corners at those speeds. Just that it sticks to the water good and is pretty much a drag boat. Anything over 45mph in the corner and it gets really finky. The hull is extremely light and HOLLOW ABS plastic, and the added weight to the bottom of the boat just keeps it from flipping over all the time. Speed is nothing more than a simple ratio having to do with Prop RPM and boat weight.

Secondly, if you ever looked at a Freedom RZ you would agree to not bother with an inboard set up on this boat. The top deck has a molded servo tray that sits very high in the boat and wouldn't be able fit an engine. Even if you got one in there you'd need a funky drive shaft or gear box to drop down and penetrate the transom lower. The only other option would be to rip the top deck off of the hull and build something inside with mounts. But again, you'd basically have to destroy and rebuild the boat to do that.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Gee guys, I guess you moderators don't know anything[sm=lol.gif]
I myself would love to see a video of his boat running between the traps so we could see a documented speed on it
Old 08-13-2006, 09:11 AM
floon

Of course you would. But again, I'm not one of these typical dweebz that is out to prove the world of my greatness. Tell me, for what reason would I need to actually LIE about this boats performance? I know people on this website are used to the dozens of people out there that need to make up for their specific lackings by claiming falsehoods over such irrelevant crap such as R/C boats. But again, if I were going to lie about something, I would do it over something worth lying about, not “oh look how fast my little r/c boat goes”. 73mph is an impressive speed, but my life’s concerns are anything but what you guys think of me and whether or not I have impressed you with my imagination. The next time I have the time to take this boat out on the lake, I will take a video of it and post on here. You will be able to tell that it is going well over 60mph. Until then, find better things to do than trying to call out whom you believe to be liars. Life is short and shouldn't be spent doing that. But hey, it’s your life and your time, and who am I to tell people what they should and shouldn’t do.