Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

tuned pipe = more speed?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

tuned pipe = more speed?

Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Jesus C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuned pipe = more speed?

I am going to get the Cen NT-18 formy Aqua Jet. I am thinking of replacing my stock exhaust with the tuned pipe found on the Grey Thunder. I looked at it, & is it a real tuned pipe that will give me more speed?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: tuned pipe = more speed?

may as well just buy a real (metal) tuned pipe from macs...yeah they do help out some, and sound so much better, the right pipe can make or break a setup...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Skiddz

How do you determine the proper installation length of the pipe? Trial and error?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The CEN Racing tuned pipe really isn't anything much more than a fancy looking muffler. If you look inside it you'll see what I mean. Plastic isn't the best material in the world to make a tuned pipe out of as what a pipe is made out of is very important also as sound waves also play a role in how well one works, just like a musical instrument.
A pipe that isn't set to a proper length is also not much more than a muffler, like trying to get certain notes out of a trombone without sliding it.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Jesus C

What pipes would you recommend? Also how long should it be? Also if I add a tuned pipe how much more speed will I gain? The only problem is that I dont know if the tuned pipe will fit in the hull
Old 04-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not a good fit with whatever pipe that you go with as they won't fit under the hatch. Some have used the header from an Associated R/C on-road car, a TC-3 I think.
How much help it will be, I can't say but I wouldn't expect a lot as it is only considered a sport engine.
The pipe length should be about 8-1/2 to 9 inches from the glow plug to the widest part of the pipe following the path of the exhaust.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Jesus C

thanks for all your help. I think I will stick to the stock exaust cuz theres no way i can fit a tuned pipe in the hull. The only reason I want to fix my boat up is to race with some of my freinds 4 fun. One of them has the miss lumar & I want to run laps around him.