Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

motor stalling

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

motor stalling

Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 PM
themadreefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor stalling

been driving off road rc for some time(have 4 vehicles to be exact).
decided to build a 36" long hydro plane with a traxxas 2.5 engine.
with dumas hardware kit and a prather prop 1.72x2.6. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXDR97
the problem i am having is every time place boat in water motor stalls.
rev motor and place in water and still stalls.
am i using wrong prop?
any ideas for a newbie or should i stick to land vehicles.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 04-07-2006, 03:43 PM
matt407

Default RE: motor stalling

ok this maybe obious to you just checking but have you go a fly wheel on you engine. if not you can buy 1 from preswich. also you may be over proped as you said try a smaller plastic prop (cheap) and see what happens. or you could try giving it more revs when you check it in. when you chuck it in throw it away from you to get some speed up and help in on the plane.

you may have tried these/already know but hey

matt
Old 04-07-2006, 04:34 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: themadreefer

been driving off road rc for some time(have 4 vehicles to be exact).
decided to build a 36" long hydro plane with a traxxas 2.5 engine.
with dumas hardware kit and a prather prop 1.72x2.6. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXDR97
the problem i am having is every time place boat in water motor stalls.
rev motor and place in water and still stalls.
am i using wrong prop?
any ideas for a newbie or should i stick to land vehicles.
NO, NO, NO, don't stick to land vehicles, boats are way more fun!

OK, got that out of the way. I think matt's on the right track about it being over propped. The prop you listed is a Prather 220. This sounds a bit big for a 2.5 cc engine. For reference, my 3.5 cc outboard is really happy with the Prather 215. I don't run a 2.5cc hydro, so I can't say what the right prop will be.

Also, you may have the engine too lean. If it idles and is very responsive to small throttle blips on shore then it's definitely too lean. You want to set the needle so it sounds really rich when on shore. Once you throw it in and give it throttle, it needs that extra fuel.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:23 AM
themadreefer

the motor is too small for my hull, placed a picco .28 in there last night and worked fine when placed in my pool. now off to the park for the big pond.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99886.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	440881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55342.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	440882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32150.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	440883  
Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to give her 3/4 throttle and a hydro needs to be chucked in with a forward toss to help her get up on plane !!thats what ive read and seen just my opinion on this.i dont think the engine was the problem at all maybe too big a prop but you need to give plenty of revs to launch a boat and a froward toss is essential for a lot .placing aboat in will not work you need to give her a forward toss to help get her up on plane from the off .
Old 04-09-2006, 02:26 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the picco have an SG style crank? How did you manage to get that to work?

Ryan
Old 04-09-2006, 02:36 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

you need to give her 3/4 throttle and a hydro needs to be chucked in with a forward toss to help her get up on plane !!thats what ive read and seen just my opinion on this.i dont think the engine was the problem at all maybe too big a prop but you need to give plenty of revs to launch a boat and a froward toss is essential for a lot .placing aboat in will not work you need to give her a forward toss to help get her up on plane from the off .
I'm not trying to start an argument, but 3/4 throttle is way too much to give an engine before the boat is launched. With no load on the engine, this will easily put the RPMs up to the point where one is in danger of destroying the rod.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
themadreefer

should have known better (thanks matt407),
once i made a flywheel and installed, it idles in the water with no problem
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49054.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	442922  
Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm now going to rain on your parade. Seeing how you have the gear layed out, your boat will be VERY suseptible to blowing over. You have all the weight in the rear, meaning the boat will want to lift off due to lack of nose weight, with the danger increasing with every drop of fuel burned off. It also means your prop will have a harder time lifting the rear of the boat, effectively killing any chance of getting to the high speeds a hydro would be able to run. I would move the radio box forward of the engine and relocate the fuel tank to under the right side deck, along side the engine. That will give you a more stable boat with a higher top speed.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:42 PM
themadreefer

i do not think so hdyro junkie, the front end does lift when first starting out but then she planes out quite well. granted i do think i need some
more weight upfront. plan on taking some video tomorrow afternoon
Old 04-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That may be due to the boat being somewhat underpowered for it's size. Your style hull is normally powered with a marine .40 to .45, so with the .32, you won't have near the speed it would normally have. This may be why it seems stable with the rear heavy set up you are running. If you are comfortable with the ride, rather than add weight( a speed killer), try to move your radio box closer to the engine. The effect will be the same as adding weight forward. If you decide later to go with the larger .40/.45 size engine, I strongly recommend following my prior recommendations. Either way, have fun with your boat, that's what it's all about