Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Top Fuel

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Traxxas Top Fuel

Old 04-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Jesus C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Top Fuel

Is that a good brand of fuel for marine engines?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Traxxas Top Fuel

I have run it in my nitro vee with great success, but Id let some other answer you for, it says on the container not for boats or airplanes, but I dont buy it, its 33% i was running by the way, smells awesome when it burns, like race fuel in a go-cart or a 250 micro sprint...
Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How it smells and the pretty picture on the can has nothing to do with the proper fuel for a marine engine. Oil content is primary. The fuel should have no less than 16% oil by volume, Preferably 18% total lube content with 20% of that being castor oil. The castor oil is for corrosion control and lube capability if you run lean and overheat the engine. Nitro content is secondary. If you are just playing around on the neighborhood puddle, then 30% is the most you will need and even that's a stretch. Competition engines in racing will use higher nitro content and will pay ($$$$$$) dearly for it.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah I know about the contents and all, It is the factory recomended fuel for traxxas engines, which I was stating its in the pro.15, also the engine is much more reliable with 33% than it was on .15, It idles more smoothly, I did richen it a bit for the hotter fuel, and the head was cool enough to grab after a run...
Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if Exxon/Mobil made cars what do you think they'd recommend for fuel? As I said, oil content is of primary importance. Do you know what the oil content is? If you don't, I'd suggest you find out or find a fuel that reveals the ingrediants in the fuel they produce.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Vertical3-D

I get where your comming from, to get an answer I bypassed traxxas and went directly to powermaster, I emailed them about this as they produce traxxas's fuels...That way we will all know once and for all whats in that stuff, If they tell me, I dont see why the wouldnt...
Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually for cars, we run 8-12% oil. The reason for this is because a car needs to have a crisp acceleration as they are always accelerating out of corners.

My guess on oil content Traxxas uses, is somewhere between 14-16% oil. But I would never use Traxxas fuels as they never provide a detailed description of their fuels.

Since boats are ran full stick for the most part, oil content is very important to provide adequate lubrication at high temperatures and RPM's.

Ryan