Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

need help starting an o.s. .21 xm outboard

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

need help starting an o.s. .21 xm outboard

Old 04-09-2006, 09:19 AM
lelandhild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help starting an o.s. .21 xm outboard

I dont know to much about this stuff and was wondering if anybody could tell me how to start my o.s. .21 xm outboard engine. also when i heat my glowplug it only glows about half way up the coil, is this normal or should it glow all the way to the top of the coil.I have set my carbeurator to where you can only stick the point of a toothpick in it but it does not get nitro to the carb unless i hold my finger over it, plus when i open the throttle all the way up the carb only opens about half way. any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:58 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: need help starting an o.s. .21 xm outboard

It sounds like the ignitor you're using isn't quite strong enough. Is it fully charged? It still should start with it just glowing half way.

You may have the carb too far closed for starting. You should have it open a bit more, perhaps 1/5 to 1/4, to start the engine. This is especially true when the engine is new and you have it set lean. Once the engine starts, you will need to keep blipping the throttle a little to keep the engine from dying. You want the engine to sound rich when it's on the shore. Don't rev it really high, this can damage the engine.

It's normal to need to choke the engine a bit to draw fuel to the carb. If the carb won't open all the way, you need to adjust the linkage. Before you do this, make sure you have the endpoint adjustment (called EPA or ATV depending on the radio), if your radio has it, set to 100%. To add more throw, move the connector to a hole that is farther out on the servo or closer in on the carb arm. When you do this, you will probably need to adjust the idle setting. I usually set the carb so it's open all the way at full throttle, at the starting position when not touching the trrottle, and then closed all the way when I push on the throttle trigger.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing to keep in mind if you're new to OB's or those of us that run or have ran both inboards and outboards is that the starter wires have to be reversed as the spin in the opposite direction.
Over on that other OB thread I told of a way that I used to set up my throttle linkage on my boats.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:17 PM
lelandhild

how do you know if a glowplug is bad
Old 04-13-2006, 01:11 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lelandhild

how do you know if a glowplug is bad
The coils are discolored, squished, mangled or gone. Take a new plug out and put the ignitor on it. If it only glows slightly, then the problem is the ignitor, not the plug.