Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Tuned Pipe .12/.18

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Carbon Fiber Tuned Pipe .12/.18

Old 04-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Tuned Pipe .12/.18

Well here is the first prototype straight out of being post cured. In a nut shell it is a clone of the MAC's 1110 pipe. This one weighs a ton LESS than the aluminum one. I believe the aluminum pipe was around 3 or 4 oz's! The CF pipe weighs less than 1oz if I had to guess. I'll get it on a scale tomorrow.

LAter,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16692.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	442073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72163.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	442074  
Old 04-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Tuned Pipe .12/.18

Nice light wieght ans it looks great, I hope Im not bursting a bubble, but actually the best material to build a pipe out off is steel, now thats to heavy so they use almunium for boats and planes, the CF cools to much and a hot pipe helps a 2-cycle engine run better, also the way the material resonates...good news, in a small boat such as a .12 rigger or something where wieght is very important the wieght saved will outrun the slight loss over an aluminum pipe....so I think marketed to the right crowd you will be able to sell tons of those if thats the intention, if I had a .12 rigger I know I'd get one...
Old 04-09-2006, 10:26 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, looks great. I'd love to have one on my boats as well as cars!

Ryan
Old 04-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Vertical3-D

seriously on a car, fantom works pipe, made from steel, I have one on my T-maxx 3.3 what a huge difference it made, runs awesome, thats the way to go on a car, like I said they are better in specialized areas, like .12 rigger then for sure, or on a tunnel cuz the have enough wieght in the back and dont need a heavy pipe hanging there. but yeah it does look amazingly nice, you ever think of doing any other parts in CF, you seem to have some good talent with it...also that be an awesome addition to all the little airplane engines, anything below .10, thatd be really awesome as well, also maybe post something in the nitro vee thread cuz they are also a boat battling wieght issues...
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Fantom Works pipe weighs a ton also, I've got one somewhere in the workshop. With small displacement boats, you need to lose weight wherever you can. One of my projects that is sitting on the back burner right now is a .12 mono that I want to finish up as a SAW boat to see if I can build a record setter. Mostly it's waiting for the right engine. The Kevlar hull with some wood in it is 31 grams, not too bad.
The Salisbury Power Pipes coming out of Oz are carbon fiber and work very well. Andy Brown says that metal pipes are better but some people are trying to prove him wrong.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Vertical3-D

yeah, thats what I was saying, or said twice, in a small boat or plane the wieght loss outwieghs and performance lost, and in a car the little wieght of the fantom isnt a big deal at all, especially not on a t-maxx 3.3, its upped the power alot, I did richen it for the pipe but its still alot better,