Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Need advice quickly on a recreational nitro boat!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Need advice quickly on a recreational nitro boat!

Old 04-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Brad24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice quickly on a recreational nitro boat!

I have a limited time-frame on getting this boat so I need some help on whether to buy it or not. I'm looking at a Kyosho Air-Streak 500 GP and cant find too much info on it. I have always liked the kit and would be interested in buying it but I really need some of your opinions! Would it make a good boat just to run for fun on weekends?? I have already read all of the reviews I could find online. . . if you have some more let me know.

What are your opinions on this boat?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Need advice quickly on a recreational nitro boat!

I always though they were ok, that one on ebay right, I looked at it but dont need another nitro that will need upgrades, I PMed you also...
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Vertical3-D

Oh also towerhobbies doesnt even have parts for them anymore, they stopped selling alot of kyosho stuff I believe...anyway just let me know then, also for a sport boat the one I pmed you about has some good to have things....
Old 04-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Brad24

ah, I'm not really into spending a lot of money - Thats what originally attracted me about this boat - I wanted something cheap - If I could get it for under 100 bucks it would be worth it to me. . . I realize that your boat is a killer deal and all but I'm just not into this for more than 100 bucks because I'm really not that into it at all - it just caught my eye. . .

So with that said, I need some opinions!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, well if it goes for under a 100, then its gonna need a radio, then gas, glow starter, and all that, thats why i offered, cuz the prices would prolly even out, you cant really even get into electric for under 100 unless you have some of the stuff, expensive hobby, but once you get into it you start seeing the time and money pay off in performance...thanks anyway, good luck with w/e you decide to go with...
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Vertical3-D

Oh and as an opinion on the boat, i almost bought one, im 19 now, that was when I was like 15-16 and just wanted something gas, before I realized having a gas boat, and having a fast good handling gas boat are two different thing, Its not a bad little boat, Id say if you can get it cheap enough go for it, honestly Id pay maybe 70-80 ish for one of those if that though, so you'll need to decide what your looking for, theres a reason those thing came out then dissapeared in a couple years, I dont see much kyosho stuff around anymore
Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Brad24

Well the reason why this kit interests me (besides the low price) is because I already have a spare radio and two servos (all brand new) just sitting in my closet - I might as well put them to use. . . Have you ever seen one run? I have heard they clock at around 25 stock but with a more agressive prop and tuned pipe i could maybe get up to 30 and that would be good for me. . .
Old 04-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Vertical3-D

Yeah Id say around 25 with the tuned pipe and prop, for props check out www.offshoreelectrics.com and look into Carbon Fiber props, the need no balancing or sharpening and are stronger than stock plastic ones, also they are cheaper than balanced and sharpened metal props by a long shot, then check out www.towerhobbies.com for the pipe, you want the MACS 2.5cc pipe, thats the one for .15 engines, it will need drilled for a pressure tap which is no big deal, looking at around 40-45 bucks for prop and pipe, well worth it, also e-mail steven over at offshore, he can help with prop size, I run a 40mm on my surface dive boat with a .15 in it...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Brad24

Alright man, thank you very much for posting very quickly with excellent information each time - it is very much appreciated! The point of this boat, however, would be to run in saltwater outside of my canal in relatively flat water and sometimes rougher water/ self created boat wakes for some wave jumping - could the Airstreak take this? I would rinse it down well and flush it out after running in saltwater. . . Also, I am partial to this boat since I have liked it for a long time - is it one of the best choices for me or no? This review makes it seem like an excellent boat - take a peek at it and especially read the yellow box on the third page - [link]http://rcboatmodeler.com/reviews/airstreak.asp[/link]
Old 04-10-2006, 01:11 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saltwater aagh just make sure every wire every connection is well waterproofed!! and make sure the engine is cleaned after use saltwater will destroy everything it touches !!.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Vertical3-D

Yeah, long as you flush the engine out and rinse the boat off you'll be alright, another thing with boats, while it does have an autobailer its good to leave the hatch off a couple hours or a day or two after running to let any moisture evaporate out of the boat...also make sure the radio gear is well sealed in the box, bag the reciever also, salt water corrodes alot, as far as handling in that water youd be fine, id say that boats good for around 3 inch chop, thats chop, you could hit bigger waves/wakes, but be sure to hit them head on and not to fast till you know what it will do, also you may wanna have a retieval method, Prolly you have a boat if your on a canal, Im assuming, of a tennis ball and long cord will do, just to get it if it flips or stalls,
Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Brad24

Yeah, I have a 14' Wahoo so I would idle out of my canal and run it right out there - If it stalled or flipped I could just drive over and pick it up. On an RC related thing though, the Air-Streak has no clutch - would it idle low enough to be picked up easily driving by my Wahoo? Like it would idle at like 3 mph right? Ha, as for sealing electronics - I have experience with electronics (electric boat - Kyosho Viper - had it years ago) getting ruined by getting wet so I will seal 'em up good! I have heard that the engine in the Air-Streak is very reliable and low maintanence - this is just what I need. Would this be a fun boat to just play around with for 100 bucks? I would really enjoy building it too. . . I want something that I can make and then use and have fun with so I would actually prefer a kit over a rtr at this point (although this is the only kit that I have found that seems easy to put together). Would 23-25 (as the review i posted earlier states) seem fast on a hull this small (only 20 inches - 24 including the back skeg/rudder assembly)?? Fun enough to keep the user entertained and not get bored?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, It will idle decently slow, id say around 3-7mph somewhere, closer to three most likely, so no problem getting it with a real boat, one thing, dont let any spilled nitro sit on the ABS long though, wipe it up, over time sitting on the ABS it will soften it up...should be easy to put together, and will make that electric you used to have look really slow, a first boat 25mph will keep you interested a long time...yeah I think its an OS or OS knock off maybe, should be a realiable little sport mill. since you have the radio Id go 100 for it, engines worth that alone probablly and with a surface drive, auto bailer, turn fin, seems like a decent boat, Id put a pipe and prop on it, and maybe some trim tabs(adjustable ones, offshoreelectrics has those too)...Oh, prolly need a header to put that pipe on, towerhobbies has them scheap also, but a pipe and prop are well worth the money for those, louder though so if noise is a problem, leave it stock, the pipes sound sweet though, also tune it richer whenever you put a pipe on it...less back pressure and all...anything else let us know...
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Brad24

Nice man, thanks for the informative response! I had quite a few mods in that old electric though. . . It probably went close to 20 - It had a D4 Quad (maybe 12 turn? I dont remember) and an F1 ESC with Reverse. We ran it off crappy 7.2 volt batteries though so I'm sure that cut out a few mph. . . Ha, that was fun although when the battery started dying it got really lame. . . I think the nitro would be fun though if I could get it 30. . . So you say go for it? I just hope it would hold my interest becuase 23 isnt that fast - a pipe should add a good solid 4-5 mph right? and a more agressive prop could get me 1-3. . . I'm just guessing though. . .
Old 04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Vertical3-D

your going a little high on estimates, id say 4-5 from the prop/pipe combo, which will put you near or at 30mph, 30 in a 20 inch boat is fairly fast, so Id say youd have a decen time with it...personally Im getting out of nitro for a little while and going to gas, a little more costly, like 600 is cheap for a decent boat rtr, but i really like gas, start it, it runs 20-30 minutes, doesnt shut off till you kill the engine or run it empty, plus the sound and size is alot cooler, though I like nitro too...the macs pipe sounds nice...
Old 04-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Brad24

You would say its worth buying though? My interests go in spurts and I wasnt even looking for a nitro boat (anymore) when I stumbled across this. I think it would be kinda fun but would it get old fast? How much run time would I get off of the stock tank? I think its 120cc or 150cc (and a .15 engine)?? It would be REALLY cool to drive along side my Wahoo and just cruise around but could I run it at over half throttle for quite a long period of time?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, I dont run mine under half throttle much, prolly around 15-20 minutes a tank, 20 minutes likely unless your at full throttle alot, full in straits and you gotta lift durning most turns, unless they are really wide, generally the hobby is addicting so I doubt it will get old if you find you like it, over time you may find yourself wanting a more powerful boat, and if thats what it came too Id sell the airstreak and just set up one from ground up, boats generally dont need to cool off so you can just stick more fuel in it and off you go, youll also need a glow starter and charger for it, and fuel, but thats all since its a pullstart...youll have to decide whats best for you, but like i said, decent little boat and a nice boat if you just want a sport boat, when you start wanting 40mph you'll need a race boat....which is around 600 to build one(OUCH)
Old 04-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Brad24

Ha, thats why I'm not into a race boat! (now at least ;-)) But I have nitro cars (I have an RC10GT Team and my bro has an HPI MT) so I already have a glow starter and gas (another reason for wanting this boat - ALL I need to buy is this kit. . . oh wait, its an aircraft style tank so I'll need a crank to put gas in it but my neighbor has one I can borrow for the first few times. . .) Also, I just thought of this, is there any way that I can STOP the engine without taking the whole top off and stuff? Like if it gets stuck or somethin happens and I have to kill it quickly is there a way to do it besides running it out of gas?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, now theres something i suggest, the stock pipe prolly has a rubber tip to get it outside the hull, if you go with the tuned pipe, cut that original tubing just longer than the tip on the tuned pipe, this way you can cover the exhuast with your finger without getting burned, normally ppl say pinch the line, that makes it run lean, I always either put a finger over the carb or pipe, this shuts it down instantly...may have to hold it there a few seconds on the pipe, which is why Id suggest a small bit of rubber tubing...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Brad24

Wowwwwwww. . . . . . . . I feel like such an idiot - I have probably done that over 100 times on my RC10GT - I even SAW the rubber tubing on this boat - I just didnt think of that. . . lol Thanks - i forgot about that. . . I think I'll go for it but only if I can get it for like under 80 shipped. . . That would be a steal and even 130 shipped would be a good deal and its not like I cant afford it but I'm too cheap! What do ya think? I was lookin at other nitro boats and the CEN Aqua jet looks cool too and its faster but its more expensive. . . theres so many on the market - is this really a good choice for me?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, the aqua jets are nice, but they are a shallower vee than an airstreak or nitro vee, also one thing thats a plus of a nitro vee is the outdrive if you wanna turn around real tightly, buts its really depends on what your looking to spend, if you pay 130 than put in 40-50 in prop, pipe, manifold and all then it costs as much a modded rtr sportboat...
Old 04-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Brad24

Aqua Jets only come in yellow right? If they do then I definitely wouldnt get one. . . plus they have no auto bailer. . . But speed is key with me - What would you reccommend for a reliable and fast little nitro boat? Kit or RTR is fun but remember it doesnt need to have gas a glow starter a radio, receiver, or servos - I already have all of that stuff. Is there anything you would reccommend over the Air-Streak? Its also going to be run alongside my boat, in shallow water over like a sandbar and wavejumped so its got to take some abuse. The Air-Streak has that kick-up rudder that will help a lot if I run it a little too shallow. . . What would you reccommend though?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Vertical3-D

HMMMM, see, i believe your catching the bug now that you know whats out there, how shallow we talking, I built a 1/4 scale airboat, flat bottom, weedwacker engine on it, dual air rudders, which by design can be moved with any standard servo, heck it even has a pullstart and a clutch so it can sit still in the water, not quiet enough juice to go through grass or anything but it moves out quite well on water, this thing will go through real hallow stuff, it onlly draws about 1 inch when sitting still, when on plane prolly about an 1/8inch if that...yeah those come in yellow only, but they used to make an older on in white, i saw one on ebay a little bit back so maybe sheck there, autobailers are like 5-6 bucks to get one, drill a whole near the bottom, center, of the transom and glue it in... also while that has a fold up rudder thap pops right back, the prop is unprotected, I have had my nitro vee in shallow water when bring it back in, the little skeg on the outsdrive is longer than the prop, so it protects it, also the turn fin can fold back, bvut it you catch the hardware of any boat at a good clip theres gonnaa be slight to severe damage depending on what and how you hit...also if you catch the hull on a rock or something like that hard you could crack it, but same with any hull, kinda like airplanes, hit something and there will be damage of some kind...Im trying to think which ones to suggest, Id cruise ebay and check and if I find anything Ill let you know and give you a link for it...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Brad24

Also, (it seems like you dont mind answering these questions - if you do, let me know and I'll shut up!) would it be loud with the stock muffler on? could I run it in my small and fairly crowded canal (of cool people who PROBABLY wouldnt care but. . .) without annoying everyone? It wouldnt have the high pitched whining of a pipe right? Or would it?

Also, the RCBoatModeler review makes it seem like its faster than lots of RTR boats - is 23 (probably closer to 25 since it was still breaking in when it was clocked) fast for a .15 engined 20 inch boat? Or for any nitro boat within a low price range? It seems like the only thing faster (stock) is the CEN Aqua Jet - is this true?

Oh, and, this is very important - I really wouldn't be able to get any parts for this boat would I? like if the pull starter breaks - then what?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Vertical3-D

No I def. dont mind helping out when I can, yeah seems liek its good performing for a stock .15 boat, the muffler will be quieter than the pipe, sno louder than a rtr .15 car, or a .15 airplane if you have ever heard smaller planes run, no one should mind to much, just be respectful, dont run early morning or later nights...parts wise I dont know, most stuff can get replaced with aftermarket stuff, If it is an OS you should be about the find one that will fit without an issue, theres lots off pullstarts out there so if you found one that fit from another model, then thatd solve that problem, or if the make a tiger drive that fits it, then a cordless drill will start it, so yeah if it goes cheap then Id go for it, It was under 50 still I believe when I checked it last 36 maybe it was, If you got it for 100 total itd be a pretty nice deal,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.