Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Will this mess up my boat?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Will this mess up my boat?

Old 04-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Jesus C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this mess up my boat?

I was runing my aqua jet & I forgot to turn on the RX. I thew the boat in the water I was lucky cuz it only was going at idle speed. It was headed towards a boat(real one) & the wake tunred it toward the shore. When it hit the shore the engine stopped. i figured that that was a good way to stop the boat & I would stop it like that. Would that mess up or bend thh shaft?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Will this mess up my boat?

No worries! If it was just at idle. Look at the prop and make sure it didn't get bent, broken, cracked etc. Check you rudder too.

Later,
Tim
Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
tadracket
My Feedback: (1)

I would also land fire the boat and look for vibration in the prop (after making sure of no dents, dings, bends, breaks, cracks, or shakes).
Old 04-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

heres what the first thought i had, would you stop a real boat by running aground in gear, keep to getting it while its running and shutting it down, or what I do alot on boats and always in planes and helis, adjust the idle screw, so that while the trigger is neutral its at idle, then when you push reverse is will close the throttle, shutting your boat down, I had a tunnel and had it like that so I could shut it off a few feet out heading in, that way I didnt ding the prop or come in fast...hope that helps you out...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Gorgok

Nobody would intentionally run aground to kill the engine, i hope; but thats also not what happened to him. Without the Rx he had no control and luckily it ran aground to stop instead of doing some damage. Nitro car engines can be stopped by putting your shoe on the flywheel (effectively running aground while in gear; without the gear taking damage). As long as the mechanics didn't take damage i don't think the engine would either.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Vertical3-D

i figured that that was a good way to stop the boat & I would stop it like that.
He would have asked do you think this messed up my boat, past tense, if he only had it happen once, he is asking if he can do that to stop it by the way its wordered, which no you shouldnt stop it like that weather or not it gets damage, there are proper ways to stop it, blocking exhuast or intake is preffered, pinching the line is second but pushes it lean...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:58 PM
iowapiper_rcp

I do belive he is asking if it would have hurt the boat, because if you read it, he says he forgot to turn on his Rx, and it ran into the shore at idle. To me, that would sak if it damaged it from that, not if it is ok to stop it htat way, anyhow as long as it was at idle, I dont see why id would have hurt it. I saw a kid this weekend running his brand new Llumar hydro, didnt follow our advise and put the electronics in a balloon, about 2 minutes out there, and off it goes at wide open throttle, took off across the pond and luckily hit th eonly sand bar on that end of the pond, the sand bar is probably only 10 ft wide, so he got darned lucky. The rest of the bank is lined with rocks. Anyhow, this is another thing to make sure you have done, make sure the radio box is as water proof as possible, and make sure yoru electronics are in bags or baloon, and SEALED up.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah I get that, but he has it worded like hes asking if its ok to do and will it break things, why would the thread have been something like "did this mess up my boat" "did this hurt me boat" "do you think this damaged the boat" not WILL this hutr my boat, I know on eway to fix this, Haveing the starter of the thread actually reply to it...then it will be resolved...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 PM
iowapiper_rcp

I do agree, sorry if yout ook it as me tryign to argue, that wasnt the case. Anyhow, mayb he should chime in and tell us what he was really tryign to ask eh? Sounds like a good idear to me!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Vertical3-D

Nah I know you and I were both just callin it as we saw it, sorry If it seemed like i was jumpin on what you had said...so now all thats left is for him to check on his own thread and we can get him helped and on his way back to running...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Jesus C

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I ment was Is running your boat ashore a good way to kill the engine or will that break or bend the shaft. The place where I would run it ashore was a sand bed. I cheaked thte prop & rudder & there was no damage.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Vertical3-D

in sand you might be ok, though i wouldnt advise it, i thought thats what you ment, always that oddbal rock in the sand that will really ruin the day for you...
Old 04-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Jesus C

The only reason that I would run it into the sand was cuz I didn't know that you could kill the engine by pulling back the throttle with the remote & I was scared that the prop could cut me.(It had already cut me before when I turned it on & put my hand too close to the prop). I only ran it ashore about 3 times & by accident I found the way with the remote.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Thompy

If these boats have flex shafts then I don't see why you wouldn't be in trouble. If the shaft isn't broken, and it was greased properly it shouldn't be bent, seeing is how these are made to bend. If it was a gear driven boat, such a real one, you might be in trouble. If the gears are suddenly stopped they are likely to strip, if the rubber prop hub is damaged by the impact or bad to begin with. You'll see many boaters, espically fisherman in bass boats that run in shallow water, throw props but not damage gears because of the rubber hub. If they can do this at 60+ MPH I don't see why you would be in trouble going 5 MPH.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Vertical3-D

i dunno if it has a flex cable, but its nothign like an outdrive or outboard, metal drive dog right to the prop, yeah thats why i like the clutcch on my nitro vee, but it still spins till is in the water sometimes, but if you got the throttle method to work good Id go with that, i dunno how your launching it, I would think you would need a toss to get an AJ on plane, so maybe you'll run less rish by gently placing it isn if you arnt doing that now, then accelerating gradually onto plane. and lie i said on thing with sand, never know when theres something in it that could hit hard and do some damage...
Old 04-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Jesus C

Ok, Thanks. Yeah I figured out that the remote method is wuch better. When I launch it I gently lanch it then accselerate to get it up on plane.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 PM
tadracket

I like the old stick type radios and my boat always had idle with the stick all the way back and WOT with the stick all the way forward. Then when I wanted to kill the engine, I would pull the stick back THEN pull the trim back and that would kill it.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Jesus C

I use the pistol grip type. I now have it so if you pull the trigger back it kills the engine
Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah, my planes i have i always do it with the trim like that, works nicely, that way you dont accidently do it while flying...
Old 04-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To hell with the toy boat! What are you doing running in water with full size boats in the area. Fortunately you were at idle. If you had hit the full size boat, it's likely you wouldn't have done much damage. At speed, there is a possibility you could hole the big boat and it would take on water. A big black eye for the model boat hobby in general. To many good model boat sites are being lost due to irresponsible activity. That would be another nail in the coffin. Maybe I'm appearing a little extreme but wouldn't the media love a story about a model boat sinking a pleasure boat and the 3 year old, out with the family for an afternoon ride is drowned because the parents were not smart enough to put a PFD on the kid. Consider joining the IMPBA or NAMBA and read their rule boots relating to safety with model boats. At least look them up on their web sites and read the rule books there. With membership, you also get secondary insurance for boating incidents. Sounds like you need it.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:10 PM
jdoug

No offense John...and I agree with you completely, but some of us do not have the luxury of a "Model Boating Pond". In fact, I live in the Boise area, and all ponds and parks were shut down to RC vehicles of any kind just before I moved here from the Seattle area. It is because of the bird watchers. "the boats are scaring away the ducks." ...and so on. RC appealed at City Hall and lost big time.

I have to compete with full size boat traffic if I want to run any boat. I usually find a secluded cove where its smooth and nobody is around. I've asked around to the guys at hobby shops and they all "used" to run boats when they had somewhere to go.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Square Nozzle

I understand where you are coming from. The general public unfortunately see's some yahoo chasing ducks with a model boat and every one looses. Please be careful, pick your times and turn on the reciever. I always do a function check just before launching my boats. I do the same with my airplanes. By the way, say hello to my nephew Rick Budwee if you cross his path. He's a Financial Advisor in the Boise area.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Vertical3-D

I also agree with whats said completely, and am not contesting anyone here, but seriously an aquajet putting a hole in a real boat, that would have to be one POS of a real boat to take damage from alittle ABS boat, now a gasser on the other hand cout easily take out a real boat....but yeah agreed just check that reciever, I always wiggle thge controls before and after firing the engine and walk about 25-50 feet away with the tx antenna down for a range check on it, as was said no all of us have model boat clubs that have a pond to have control of, so just be careful and you'll do alright...
Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Square Nozzle

All that's important is that I got my point across. Be safe and have fun guys ------- and girls.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Jesus C

I agree with all of you but the only place that I am able to run them are lakes with real boats. I run them in the no wake zone & never past that. The rangers at the lakes I run, never say anything. The only times I run my boat is when we go camping with my family. We have jet skis, so if my boat had not hit that wake I would have just followed it until it ran out of gas.