Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Engine troubles

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Engine troubles

Old 04-13-2006, 12:48 PM
matt407

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine troubles

Hi guys.

right after finaly gettin my boat i have only managed to keep the enigne going for about a minute. and i have to give it revs to keep it going. at first i thourght ok its to lean so i gave it 1/4 a turn rich and it doesnt start. buy not starting it mean it was running but not without the heater on or with out the starter but there was smoke. it has 30% fuel and a macoy9 brand new glow plug. The enigne will keep running if it keet and 1/2 throttle or more and on the leaner seting. i dont know much about nitro engines.

i have arranged to go out tomorrow for it madain voyage. i may have to have it leanand go quick but then i am worried about if the engine gets enough oil.

the engine is a K&B 0.61

any help would be great cheers
Old 04-13-2006, 01:19 PM
330T

Default RE: Engine troubles

did your richen up the low end needle?

I’ve always been told the adjust your low end needle by pinching off the fuel line and the motor should run, then right before it cuts out it should speed up. If it does that its running fine.

If it dies out real fast, almost instantly its running to rich.

If it runs for a long time, and does not speed up briefly before shutting down its running to lean and needs to be made richer.

Also check your idle speed is it to low?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 PM
matt407

hi,

i havent agusted the low speed needle, only the high. I will give that pinch test tomorrow
Old 04-13-2006, 03:36 PM
matt407

if anyone else has some ideas or tips then please let me know. is this normal?? are my settings way off?? and is it the high speed or low speed needle i have to ajust???
Old 04-13-2006, 06:33 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Boat engines almost NEVER run well at low speeds out of the water. They are nearly always run rich and on many you need to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running. On most engines, this is very normal. At 30% you are at the low range of nitro for a McCoy MC-9. You would be better off using a warmer plug such as the MC-59 or even a K&B 1L. Also, you don't want to sit there idling the boat out of the water for long periods. Typically you want to start it, make sure it's running, and launch it. I don't think I ever run one of my engines for a minute without it already being in the water.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:28 AM
matt407

cool. ok then so i should start and keep it running and just bung it in... i will try it it will have to be fast or faster in the water then .lol well i will give it a go.

cheers will let you know how it goes

matt
Old 04-14-2006, 07:48 AM
matt407

RIGHT THATS IT I AM FINISHED WITH THIS HOBBY...

i bourght everything spent hundreds and cant even get it running propley. it is reving up the i throtle back a bit then it gradualy dies. so ok not enough fuel. so the i rich her right up it idles and starts first time great. get it 2 the sea. wont start. ok its flooded glow out upside down and turn it over. not start or glow starter flat. get the other 1 out. not start. run the starter off the car battery. no start. i think i just goin to put it on ebay. its a shame your hobby looks so cool but i guess i am doomed to never to run a nitro boat. i think i will get an electric boat.

i have spent 5days tryin to do it. i give up.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:26 AM
jdoug

Good choice. Go electric or go Gas. I have both and have never had a problem with either. Although I am going to venture into nitro boating this summer with a yet to be built .15 size wild thing.

Have you ever run nitro RC before? I must say, I have been doing it for about ten years now and there is a learning curve and trial and error on how to tune a nitro engine to run right. Keep trying and learn everything you can.

Don't quit the hobby!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:30 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: matt407

RIGHT THATS IT I AM FINISHED WITH THIS HOBBY...

i bourght everything spent hundreds and cant even get it running propley. it is reving up the i throtle back a bit then it gradualy dies. so ok not enough fuel. so the i rich her right up it idles and starts first time great. get it 2 the sea. wont start. ok its flooded glow out upside down and turn it over. not start or glow starter flat. get the other 1 out. not start. run the starter off the car battery. no start. i think i just goin to put it on ebay. its a shame your hobby looks so cool but i guess i am doomed to never to run a nitro boat. i think i will get an electric boat.

i have spent 5days tryin to do it. i give up.
Perhaps it's time to find someone else who runs boats to lend a hand? As much as we can try to help you, sometimes there's no substitute for an experienced helper who can see and hear exactly what's happening. Even if you have to drive a ways, it would be worth it.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:39 PM
matt407

i would like to run it atleast once now i have calmed down (almost through it across the room earlyer) lol. i dont have anyone to help me . BUT i think i may have found a problem the fuel tank seems to be leaking which maybe giving different pressure to the engine. i hope it this and i have finaly found that the engine is a K&B 67 not 61 i discovered this because the 61 has a different style carb. but i think once its goin i will sell and get electric and have 20 batteries packs. lol
Old 04-15-2006, 02:12 PM
t_hedlund
My Feedback: (1)

I'm have a hard time tuning my nitro engine too, i have taken my boat several time to LHS they are so helpful. I would have given up a long time ago with out there help. i have thought of sell my Miss Elam several times but i just can let her go till i see her flying down the backstretch of my local pond, There is nothing like it.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 AM
matt407

hi all,

sucess i managed to find a site on my carb and the idle screw runs though the level for throttle, i returned it to factory setting twecked the high speed needle conected the hose pipe up so nice cooled head and it fired up and now idles for about 5 minutes with out giving it throttle. give it throttle and she goes. perfect. its slightly on the rich side like you guy say it needs to be. will try it this weekend and see what happens. knowing my luck it will go 10foot and stop. but hey i have calmed down now still going to sell because electric looks so much easier ,stress fee and clean.

matt