Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Atlas Van Lines with K&B .40 question

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Atlas Van Lines with K&B .40 question

Old 04-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlas Van Lines with K&B .40 question

Here I go again wiht another question for my boat.. I finally got it running now and when I get it in the water the right side of the boat seems like it wants to dig into the water.. I think it's from the torque of the prop but I don't know... Also I can't get it going fast because every time I start going and it's picking up speed, it cavitates... Do I need a different size prop or do I need to adjust how much it's in the water? I am launching it correctly and doing everything right as far as I'm concerned
Old 04-15-2006, 02:05 PM
t_hedlund
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Atlas Van Lines with K&B .40 question

Can you move any weight to the left side? As far as the prop which one are you using? I have no clue what prop you should be using , but hopefully some one on the board will help in that area.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:19 PM
doucette

how are you launching? If you're not giving it the "Hydro Heave" it may be tough to get it on step from a dead stop

Tom
Old 04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Love2FlyMN

I'm launching it correctly, I'm not sure what prop I'm using, it's an old plastic one, maybe I should step up to something a little more firm?? Also, how heavy should this boat be?? I painted it myself and there's quite a few coats of spray paint on it and it's pretty old and heavy.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull the prop off and there sholud be some numbers on the hub facing the prop nut. A piece of advice though, ditch the plastic prop as they're not safe.
You're working an old heavy boat and what is now considered a sport engine so with the weight and a lack of power, don't expect much. They may have been good in their day but that day was over 20 years ago.
My ex brother-in-law had an old Dumas 1/8 scale and his problem was just the opposite, his right side lifted once it started to get up to speed.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I built one of those many years ago, so I can bet the hull EMPTY is probably in the area of 8 or 9 pounds, if it was built per the plans. That means no lightening holes anywhere, so here is another possible problem. IF the right sponson isn't water tight, you could have a compartment full of water, causing the sponson to be heavier. Your boat probably also has all Dumas hardware, which isn't good for any kind of speed. Here are what I would recommend:
1) Ditch the plastic prop and replace it with a metal one. The plastic ones twist and flex, probably causing your cavitation problem
2) Check the depth of the prop. A good starting place is matching the prop to the depth of the sponson transoms.
3) If your boat has the skid fin on the inside of the sponson, you need to move it to the rear of the sponson. This means taking off part of the sponson bottom, installing a doubler inside the sponson transom and mounting a new skid fin with blind nuts. Otherwise, you won't be able to take a corner with any kind of speed without rolling the boat over
4) Switch the .40 for a high performance .45. Otherwise, speed isn't an option.
5) Replace the Dumas hardware with a good quality performance type, preferably with a flex shaft.