Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

prop q's pls..

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

prop q's pls..

Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 PM
wave waker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop q's pls..

i'm in the process of getting props for my 4 boats and want to know more info. or any experience with Octura vs Prather and Bronze vs Stainless[sm=confused.gif]...thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 04:13 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: prop q's pls..

I was talking to a long time boater last week about props. He said he feels that the Prather props are copies of Octura, so he prefers to buy the originals. Take this info for what it's worth, I have Octura, Prather, and ABC props. I tend to buy props that others have found to work well on one of my boats.

I've got a few stainless props, but most are the traditional copper beryllium. I like the fact that the stainless are more durable, but being made of a harder material, they are more difficult to sharpen.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I know, I find whatever prop that my boat likes, not what brand.
Supposedly Prather props are constant pitch props where Octura's are progressive pitch props.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:18 PM
wave waker

[sm=thumbup.gif]thanks guys, at least got an idea from u guys.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 AM
jdoug

Having worked both prop materials (stainless, beryllium copper)...I would go with beryllium copper, as previous stated, they are much easier to sharpen and balance because they require less elbow grease to take material away.

I like the look of stainless better but since I work my own props - most are beryllium copper. Yes, stainless is stronger (more durable). But I think either prop will become toast if you hit something with it.

If you aren't working your own props...get stainless if they cost the same.

I with Ron as far as brands go. Use whatever your boat likes. Get suggestions from people with similar boats.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

A prop is a prop ( unless it is ALREADY modded by one of the better known prop benders ).
So ... I get my hands on whatever is cheapest around and try to stock them up . Not because they get ruined , but , so you have different selections of sizes and pitch.
personally , I try to avoid the SS ones because they are a MUTHA to work with ( sharpen , balance , cup, back cut , etc )
The BC props are also a little more plentiful and found easier then the SS versions ( especially in you LHS )
Old 04-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Thompy

I wish I had a hobby shop that would carry props period. Let alone a selection of copper/SS, Octura/Prather. They told me the last time I was in there, which its an hour drive there in the first place, no one runs boats around here so we don't carry parts. Oh and BTW, I live on the mighty Ohio River, and there's bookoo small lakes around. Go figure?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Ron Olson

Thompy, I know what you mean. Around here we have plenty of lakes and ponds yet hardly any boaters. I've got 3 places to run within 2 miles of my house but it's rare to see another boater. hobby Shops will only carry what they can sell, and one local shop bought a bunch of boats recently but not a spare part to be found in the store except for a couple of props and shafts for Zig-Zag Racers. Another one in town has one small plastic box with a lot of outdated parts.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stainless can be thinned out more than a copper and still be as strong, but yes much harder material to work with.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:56 AM
wave waker

guys, what do u use to sharpen stainless prop?..a file, sand paper, what grade? does dremel will work?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Ron Olson

All of the above. I was working on a P-270 last week and resorted to using a contour sander, mainly because I bought it a long time ago and haven't used it but had used most of what you mentioned to try to get an edge on it.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: wave waker

guys, what do u use to sharpen stainless prop?..a file, sand paper, what grade? does dremel will work?
I use mostly files while sharpening and balancing and then sandpaper at the very end to get rid of any remaining file marks. I only use the dremel in extreme cases, I always worry I'll take off too much.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:24 AM
jdoug

When I sharpened my SS P275, I used most of what you mentioned. I only use the dremel for polishing. What worked well for me was a bench top belt sander.

I use this one with the 120 grit belt. It works very well to get an even edge all along the length of the sharpened edge.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2485

You know not to file and grind on the push side (towards transom) of the prop right? Unless you are polishing the whole thing.
Just a tip, to let know.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
wave waker

great responses! i'll take ur advices guys....i think i'm ready and confident to do my own props...thanks a lot and i'll let u know the end product.

jul
Old 04-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Ron Olson

If you need some more online help with props, see the FAQ that is pinned to the top of the page.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 PM
330T

i test with BC props once i find the right prop i get it on SS...