Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:40 PM
rtayloria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Jerry/Ron,
Thanks for the info! I just ordered 2 sharpened/balanced y535's and one M435/3 (to test) Hopefully this will improve my pitfalls. Now to the next issue I could use some help on. If sharpened would you stick with the factory rudder? and also any input on setting up the side blade (do not know what this is called) as I am going to sharpen it to a razors edge, but am not sure if this would be better served tilted more towards the hull or parallel as possible? When all add ons are recieved I will add a video of this boat tearing up the Tennessee River!!

I am new to Nitro boats (if you cant tell by now) and the MissVegas came with very few flaws that I could spot out of the box. The front of the radio box where the screw goes in was busted so I only use the back and some absorbant paper towels inside, the starbord side rear lockdown would not latch as the glass was too thick to secure, but I sanded it down and it is working fine, and lastly the radio box power switch had been overtightened with the two small screws which has caused the plastic casing to crack, but I think I can purchase and replace with a like switch. My question is, what is the ETA on replacement parts for this boat? I would love to replace the entire control box and switch ASAP. Thanks for your help.

LRT
Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Jerry Dunlap

If you call Tower Hobbies they can probably tell you when replacement parts will be available.

The side blade is called a turn fin. A good upgrade would be to order the Grim Racer fin for the boat. Check the accessories on the AquaCraft website. With the turn fin supplied with the boat, be sure it is perpendicular with the back of the sponson or even slightly tilted towards the back of the boat. You will want to angle the fin slightly towards the hull.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Tower Hobbies does have a few replacement parts in stock according to their site. The switch should be a standard Futaba part.
Sharpening is one of the things that Russ talks about but you don't want to change the angle as on hydro's, it can make a big difference in handling. On the larger ones like Sport 40 and 1/8 scale boats, the rudder's bottom is flat which acts like another running surface. Rounding it off takes away the lifting can you can get from it.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 PM
rtayloria

Thanks very much!! Will give my run report hopefully with video attached in the next couple of days... One last thing, how do you explain the sunburn after calling out of work sick?? Thanks for all your help guys.

LRT
Old 06-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Bruce Frost

Russ / anyone
First of all, GO ILLINI!!

I just purchased the Miss Vegas because a friend bought one and I liked it very much. He had a problem I wanted to know if this is something I should be proactive about. He had his motor mounts came loose from the boat which disabled the boat. Is this something that you have heard happens with several boats or was this a fluke? He epoxied the mounts back down which seemed to work well and I wondered if I should epoxy mine before I even start it up.
Do you have any other recommendations I should do to get the most out of my boat out of the box? I want reliability and a bunch of speed.
Thanks
Bruce
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM
redneckUSCG

try a metal prop,y-535 x-435

sand the botom of the hull with 600 grit sand paper, sharpen and polish your rudder and strut, replace turn fin.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:45 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

FYI, Tower's Scratch and dent list shows 2 Miss Vegas boats. They're listed as "box damage only" and are priced at $238. When you factor in the current discount, that's only $213! I keep thinking of buying one, but I'm building 3 boats, have several others that require regular maintenance and storage space, and nobody in my club races sport 20. Someone buy these boats before my willpower runs out!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Ron Olson

Chuck, there always has to be a first one, why not you?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:04 PM
TwistedLiquid
Banned

Hello Miss Vegas Fans!!!

My name is James Barringer from Twisted Liquid Racing of Wichita, Kansas. I seen alot of post about my favorite boat the Miss Vegas, so I thought I would pass out my experiences with the Vegas. We took on the Miss Vegas as a recommendation from store owner of Finley's Hobbies in Wichita. Plus I liked the look of the Miss Vegas, as our newest Hydro race boat. We took our first boat home, after some sponsorship talk with the store owner... So I head home with our first Finely's Hobbies sponsored Miss Vegas. Immediately after opening the Miss Vegas. I notice a big difference in quality from our Miss Bud's and Miss LLamar's. Racing Hydro's for many years, I see many issues with the quality and engineering of the Miss Vegas, that I am sure AquaCraft will correct in the future. Please note the Miss Vegas is our first boat from !QUOT!AquaCraft!QUOT!. Below I list these issues, but please read more to hear the super out come of this boat. Miss Vegas Rocks!!!

1.) Paint job on boat...the paint job could be a bit more clean. It carried runs in paint, places were the fiberglass pinholes were not filled in. I also think that AquaCraft should consider using a flex additive in the paint...to reduce the number of stress crack we received from testing this rocket... The paint scheme is very cool, we are fond of the white and orange. Also the engine room should get a extra coat of resin to smooth up the interior for good easy cleaning after running. Lower maintenance is a plus.

2.) Engine....OK it kick's butt!!! We run 65%. Two thumbs up AquaCraft. But we seen issues during testing that can be avoided for only a few dollars. First was the engine bed. At first look I seen what I thought was not enough glass on engine bed blocks. This prove to be true after less then 8 tanks the engine came loose from the boat. I blame this on 3 flaws in design. the engine stand blocks do not have enough fiberglass to hold to boat under extreme conditions. So we added glass to beef up. Second is the driveshaft coupling. Holy Christmas...is it big enough Big and easy to get out of alignment when replacing the drive shaft after maintenance, causing a slight wobble...we believe this is the main cause for the engine coming loose. We order a new smaller coupling like the ones on the Miss Bud...slimmer and stainless... Last but not least...no rubber on engine to take out vibration. So we took the 18 AquaCraft and put her on rubber. Hey it's safe for sex right? Wow what a difference in the boat after this upgrade.

3.) Cockpit Air Flow....First off, the foam in the canopy should be moved to the sides of the canopy, because the way it is installed, it blocks air flow to engine compartment. So we removed. We also cut out the rear of the jet exhaust to open up the boat and we cut out the lower vents in the front off the cockpit to force air to go lower in engine room...helps cool that massive exhaust. We noticed after this the boat ran cooler and did'nt seem to have a air lock in the canopy anymore...caused the boat to cut the air better.

4.) Fuel pick-up and tank....Ok flip top lid...trash it...it leaks and is not really all that convenient. I am thinking it I can't unscrew a cap..boy what am I doing in boats...90% is screwing right...Ok to the gas tank. The pick-up hose was to long and the brass pick-up was flattening out on the bottom of the tank causing the boat to lose fuel...so we fix by making hose 1/4 longer and placing it on it side in the outside corner. Also we went off Flyers comment on the rubber band theory of holding the lid closed...cool it works, but new tank on the way...

5.) Exhaust....nice job AquaCraft!!!! only one issue here...the exhaust resting bracket behind the exhaust. again the vibration issue arised. So we did'nt cut the pipe or move the block...we killed the attacker...VIBRATION from engine. once we re-glued the block and rubbed the engine..she has held...

During test and tune of the Miss Vegas we experienced the above issues, besides the typical tuning you have to do with the boat riding right. We love AquaCraft for giving so many options to change the performance compared to water conditions. like the tail fin and the good hardware by GrimRacer. Hey that rudder took a 40 mph hit by trash in water and didn't break...only cracked the transom...Nice work GrimGacer. For our prop we chose a left hand Octura 535...he he same as our Miss LLamar....shoots a three foot rooster-tail and has excellent hole response. This boat is a head turner for sure...we have clocked her at 47 mph...we are pushing for 50. I have video I am getting produced now to show our testing and racing other hydro's. Below I have enclose some shots of our improvements and of course the finish 2006 Finley's Hobbies Sponsored Miss Vegas, By Aquacraft.

Thanks and nice to meet you all here!!

James,
Twisted Liquid Racing
Wichita, Kansas

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89779.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	482442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70493.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	482443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44911.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	482444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33820.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	482445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35527.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	482446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23593.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	482447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89219.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	482448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10034.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	482449  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47502.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	482450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91917.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	482451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67671.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	482452   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97184.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	482453  
Old 06-25-2006, 12:43 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Chuck, there always has to be a first one, why not you?
I'm already blazing too many new trails with this club. Since I joined them I've managed to get add two new classes (Sport 20 tunnel and 40 mono) to the club schedule. A few other guys have added 20 mono and the smaller ones you commented on one time. As it is I'm having to prep a minimum of 3 boats for club races and I usually enter at least 4 classes. I've reached saturation and find myself having to decide which boats have to stay home. For the sake of being able to get in a decent number of rounds, and my sanity of not having yet another boat to maintain, I'm really trying to avoid another class. That's why I'm hoping someone buys them before I give in to temptation.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:03 PM
t munn
My Feedback: (2)

is this the turn fin recommended for the boat.

AQUB9516
Old 06-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Ron Olson

Yup, that's it. I've got one of Mike's turn fins from his old company, it's probably the same thing, just anodized.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 AM
t munn

Russ or Jerry,

Any update on the availability of other colors. I have a couple on back order order and was just wondering if there was a new ETA.

Thanks
Terry
Old 06-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Ron Olson

You probably won't be hearing from Russ or Jerry for a few days at least. They were at the IMPBA Internat's last week and are heading to the NAMBA Nat's next.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:59 PM
t munn

guys,

we have had a lot of issues with the exhaust couplers burning off our nitro hammers is this the case with the miss vegas and if so what are you using instead of the original couplers...
Old 06-26-2006, 08:52 PM
TwistedLiquid
Banned

As a note about your reciever box in the Vegas....The switch cover was to tight on our boat also....so what we did was took the switch out and place the rubber cover on the inside of the lid... with a small amount of silicone...then put switch in the rubber boot and replaced the screws...doesnt leak and is waterproof...as far as the box..we sanded it and coated it with resin...then we put a "thin" layer of silicone in the groove of seal for box...be sure to let the silicone dry before placing the lid...makes a dry silicone seal...It's perfect and dry...oh ya also..put some of your drive shaft grease in the two boots...it seals them....not alot..but place in the outside end..

Hope It Helps
Old 06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
TwistedLiquid
Banned

Have not seen it yet.....no burn offs here
Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 AM
rtayloria

t munn,
I have had this problem of late. I have been replacing these after each run as the heat is overwhelming even when running extremely rich. Anyone else have this issue, or a remedy?

Thanks,
LRT
Old 06-27-2006, 11:03 AM
TwistedLiquid
Banned

Am I reading it right? You burning up the silicone pipe connector everytime you run? If so you got a serious heat issue that should not be there if the motor is tuned right. You must be runnig a bit rich loading the motor up or running lean can starve the engine of oil it needs to stay cooler. what amount of fuel are you using in the time you run....are you burnig a full tank in five minutes? Just for the record..have you increase the airflow thru the hull and engine compartment? Our Vegas airflow was restricted by floatation foam.."We Removed"

Below are pics of the mod...we removed the foam from canopy "CAUTION!!!...This will let the canopy sink if it comes off" but worth the airflow. Also we cut the lower vent holes out, and removed the rear jet exhaust....Making the airflow 100% better.

Name:	Lj21481.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	483641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13675.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	483642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15382.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	483643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67466.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	483644  
Old 06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Re: burnt couplers

Burning up a coupler a run is definitely not "the norm." After setting up and racing 6 "Miss Vegas" boats in numerous heats at the 2006 IMPBA Internats, we had 2 couplers fail. I would recommend ungrading the coupler to one of the r/c car couplers. Exhaust couplers are going to burn out on nitro powered boats. 50% O'Donnell's fuel was used.

Re: metal prop

For the Champions' Challenge part of the AquaCraft Challenge race, we gave each of the four qualifiers, Ernie LeFleur, Jerry Crowther, John Brown, and Chris Wood, an Octura metal Y535. They could balance, sharpen, repitch, rework the prop anyway they wanted. Jerry Crowther won all three rounds with a prop that was balanced and sharpened. John Brown had the nicest appearing prop. There is an increase in performance with the metal prop. After the third and final round, Jerry, Chris, and Ernie engaged in a serious "Grudge Match." That was fun to watch.

Not once in all the testing and racing did a "Miss Vegas" blow off the water. It did take some time to "dial in" all 6 boats to perform nearly equal. There were a couple of "racing incidents" causing minor hull damage. I was able to repair all the damage with either CA glues or 5 minute epoxy.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Re: Availability of Other Colors

Just got off the phone with a Tower rep. The red, yellow, and white hull are now correctly being listed as back orders. She could not provide a shipping date. Russ Williamson, AquaCraft Product Manager, told me the different colored hulls should be available within the next 30 days.

I just ordered(maybe is should say back ordered) a white hull(AQUB 3264) using my Super Savers Club and a $25 discount on an order over $199. That brought the cost down to $250 and with Super Savers I get free shipping.

I've been in this hobby for 42 years and that is the best deal I've ever seen on a RTR model boat that runs dang decently. Of course I'll admit I'm rather biased.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
TwistedLiquid
Banned

WOW!!!! 6 Vegas boats in one place...sweet!!!!

Y535 Prop: We found with the Y535 we shaved it alot to make it not drag down our engine....she is thin and like a razor blade. We are going to replace the plumbing drive shaft coupler, this should lift weight of the engine to...

Name:	Cz79662.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	483671  
Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Ron Olson

Jerry has to order a boat![sm=lol.gif] Somehow I do find that funny that you have to go through Tower to get a boat that you designed and tested, you'd think that Russ should give you a better deal!

That flex cable coupler is HUGE. One from Octura or (ugh!) a Miss Bud/LLumar/Elam would be smaller and lighter.

I know that somebody has to have some shots of the Vegas boat races, I want to see some. Jerry Crowther pretty much cleaned up in just about every class that he ran in.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM
TwistedLiquid
Banned

He He I was thinking samething.....He should have a garage full of Vegas boats....

the Miss LLamar drive shaft coupler is on the vegas....lol sweet!!!!

TEST TIME......

I have video of race with a pro boat...I smoked him...I am waiting on the video producer to complete the file for internet..

Old 06-27-2006, 03:00 PM
rtayloria

Hey gang,
I am going to put on the Octura S&B y535 this weekend and test to see if the boat runs better (I am sure it will). As for the heat issue I am burning a header coupling after several hours (3-5) of running, not per tank. I am presently using an RC automotive silicone coupler from hobbytown, but still on a quest to find a heat resistant tube that will last a long time for the boat.
I plan to remove the foam from the top and in its stead put smaller pieces of a cut swim noodle to keep it floating (Have already blown the top of and wont feel comfortable without flotation). I am very anxious to get the metal prop on as I am restricted at to how lean I can run due to the plastic factory prop (Which I own 4 of). I am only running 20% in the boat at present time, and running with the factory prop I have the needle valve set at 2 turns from closed on the needle.
The issue is now that the motor will run for short busts like a demon, and then miss a bit, and then run great and the miss until it finally dies. I have a feeling that this is a sign that the header coupler once again has a pinhole or is burnt enough on the lower side that it is allowing air in and my air pressure to the fuel tank is being reduced. I am going to change the coupler today and test after work and will report back.

LRT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.