Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

I-net RC purchases, The good,bad,and ugly!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

I-net RC purchases, The good,bad,and ugly!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 PM
toyotatruckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-net RC purchases, The good,bad,and ugly!

Well I bought this from ebay for 104$ including shipping came with rudder strut and a couple other things, The adds pictures were not as good as mine, not kidding! I have to say that this is one of the worst paint jobs ive seen in a long time, I cant even count the runs in the clear, bad over spray on the yellow, the fade was splatered, the top was cleared so thick there is an edge as thick as a pop can tab most of the way around..! Thats ok I was going to paint it anyway just didnt figure on having to use a grinder to remove an inch of crap! On a good note there is a good base to work with.. Ill post my progress with this hull,
If you have one of those great,?, internet finds or stories post them here, there always fun to read..

Not cutting the guy down that I bought the boat from, They did say it was a back up boat...
Almost forgot to add that over the stickers that say racing on the side was clear packing tape , Im not sure but the way it looked it was used to mask the top with!LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83277.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	489899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80879.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	489900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98331.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	489901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84265.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	489902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63180.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	489903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28534.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	489904  
Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: I-net RC purchases, The good,bad,and ugly!

It sounds like someone on eBay that was imfamous for putting in pictures that could have been shot in a coal mine at midnight without a flash. People would complain about the boats once they got them but he would come back saying that you got what was in the shots and should have seen any defects!
All is not lost as you didn't get it stuck to you that bad as the Microburst hull is a good one although it was messed up with the crappy paint and so-called decals.
Strip all of the junky paint off to see what's underneath it.
My 'burst is the same basic color, the hull and radio box cost me $210.00 new.
Depending on the paint, I've stripped other hulls down using ethyl acetate which I get a 5-finger discount at work, it does the job quickly.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
skymortar

if they used spray paint it will be an easy,though messy job getting it off but if RO says its a good boat im inclined to believe him
Old 07-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Ron Olson

Mine. I bought it after watching other boats in its class race.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:26 AM
toyotatruckin

Well The stickers are gone lots of rubbing and thinner, Im gonna hit it with good ol' 320 work my way up from there the hull has one small patch in it and it was done well, all in all the hull itself is in good shape just need to fill some hardware holes in the back if you notice there has been a couple changes in hardware back there but nothing a little fiberglass resin jelly cant fix..Im thinking on painting it ducati red but im gonna hit up the body shops around and grab up some paint..Im gonna start airbrushing again, its been a while but that is how I used to support my rc hobby and boats will be easier to paint than lexan car bodies, I might start doing that again to..Not sure how the market is for bodies anymore but when I was doing it they all came clear, now from what Ive seen most of the RTR'S come painted.
Nice looking boat ron! What motor is in it?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Ron Olson

Picco .45 with an Irwin muffled pipe.
I used to paint buggy and truck bodies myself when I raced them. I'd bash up a body just so that I could do another one! I'm a rattle can painter but used to do some good work with them and the liquid masking.
I got out of doing trick paint jobs on my boats as it would make things harder to fix when I would get hit by another boat at a race. Custom paint jobs seem to draw other boats to them. Keep a boat butt ugly and it won't get touched.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:21 AM
toyotatruckin

If other boats stay away from ugly ones, Then id bet the markers would move for this one!!!LMAO
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 PM
toyotatruckin

Update the 320G was not corse enough to get through all the clear so down to 80G and with the rough sanding its smoother than it was before! Hay ron it started its life out the same color as yours,LOL. The transom is almost level again and not looking like the water it rides on, holes that I dont have hardware for are filled with with jelly resin, next if you can see in the pictures around the opening there are 3 weak spots so Im gonna glass under them and and fix that problem! Ill post as I get more done! Mabey this thread will help someone who hasnt done any repair work or painting before!

Name:	Ge96594.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	490252   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44710.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	490253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32179.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	490254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67486.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	490255  
Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Ron Olson

Let me know if you need more shots of my boat and I can shoot some for you. That shot was ob nut's photo of mine and I lost a bunch when my 'puter crashed and didn't have it backed up.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Brother_Dust

lol I say just go get some aircraft paint stripper and it'll take the old crap right off. isn't neuspeed a performance company for like volkswagen or something?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:22 AM
toyotatruckin

finnaly got the pictures to upload! And yes neuspeed is the Maker of high performance parts for Volkswagen/Audi and Honda/Acura. You said that so I had to look it up! Makes me wonder if there was ever a tiny little coffee can muffler on it?!LOL
Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 AM
toyotatruckin

Well this boat is going slow to many irons on the fire! After the 80g I fixed the little bit of glass work that needed to be done a little light weight filler and sanded down good with 320g. Primer used was a dupont filler-primer and yep next is going to be more sanding. I know sanding sucks But if you want a good paint job you can not skimp on it, small scratches will show when you shoot your paint. After I sand it down with 400G Ill shoot a very light white paint over it, this is called a tracer coat and will show you if there are any spots you have missed and again more sanding, very light though! here is the primed boat.. oh and if any one has a paint code for a nice tangerine let me know!

Name:	Hf98364.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	491992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19492.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	491993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21199.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	491994  
Old 07-16-2006, 07:14 AM
CadillacDTS2001

that looks pretty nice , is it just primer grey ?
id hate to be on dial up ![&:]
Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 AM
toyotatruckin

yep its filler primer, pic's fixed!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:47 PM
toyotatruckin

Well she is painted and the pictures are still wet!LOL, ok the boat is, Anyway paint used was Dupont all the way from filler to clear coat I was going to paint it Lime green even bought the base(paint) but after looking it seemed like every other boat out there that was painted is green..So to the paint books I went, after flipping through a few I came to this one in an old book, results are a great matalic paint job that, In my opinion set this hull off!
And of corse I cant up load pic's to RCU right now.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Ron Olson

I don't know what's up with this site as I could finally upload pix. Trying uploading into your gallery or a photo site then link to the image using the button above your reply.
What I did when choosing a color is when I was driving around, I'd chack out the cars on cars and trucks and think if that would look good on my boat. I did this with my Sport 40 as I wanted a bright yellow. The color that I found was Ford Titanium Yellow although I saw almost the same color on a Monte Carlo.
Some old colors are now hot ones, colors that you normally wouldn't see on a boat like silver and Champagne. Mixed with another color for highlights like tribal striping or something currently on the cool list can make for one bad-ass looking boat.
Reds, greens, and yellows are all too common nowadays so a boat of a really different color will stand out from the crowd.
Now that you have it in your gallery, let's see if I can put it in here. It sure is shiny!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:43 AM
toyotatruckin

LOL, Hay ron thanks for uploading my picture as i still cant! Gotta love that 180$ a gallon ChromaClear from dupont! The picture doesnt do it justice in life its between orange and red with matelic! You can get a gel-coat to look that good to If you spray it with clear, only thing better about gel-coat is it is tuff stuff it just doesnt shine like clear!

Name:	Jh15158.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	495420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64001.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	495421