Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Boat Wipe outs and Flips.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Boat Wipe outs and Flips.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 PM
supermotoxaustin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Wipe outs and Flips.

Does anyone have any recomendations of things to do to a Miss Vegas to lessen Flips and wipe outs at high speeds also if you can add a turn fin on the left side for better left turns?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:47 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Boat Wipe outs and Flips.

Hydros are generally setup to turn right. While they can be made to behave a bit better in a left turn, they are still happiest turning right. You might want to look through this thread, there are quite a few setup and performance improvement suggestions: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4361937/tm.htm
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Jerry Dunlap

There are two after market turn fins that will improve the cornering of the Miss Vegas:

1. The Grim Racer Miss Vegas turn fin from AquaCraft(Tower Hobbies)

2. The fin from *******************.com

Chuck is correct about model hydroplanes making left turns. The reason is the torque of the propeller is working against the boat when it makes a left turn.

JD
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, the placement of the turn (skid) fin on the right sponson is usually canted in to help hold the right sponson down in a right turn. Turning left causes the boat to ride up on the turn fin (lifts the right sponson) and the boat airs out and flips. R/C hydros don't turn left any better than a full size hydro will turn right!
Old 07-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Grimracer

Supermoto

The fin that comes with the boat is a hand full to drive for sure. Feel free to change to an upgrade fin.

Points to remember.

Angle: Any angle in the fin can make the boat lift. Rolls and or bends low on the fin make for a much stabler ride. To sum it up, an angled fins angle (for lack of a better set of words) enters and exits the water at an angle as the boat operates.. not good...

Rake: The fin should have lots of rake. Again this as a stability issue and helps eliminate any issues with fin flex.

I have taken a GrimRacer fin and made full course left hand turns on the pond and it just makes a nice smooth turn.. No tripping at all.

Good luck and have fun.

Grimracer

Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Grimracer

O yea something i forgot to mention.. The GrimRacer sport 18 turn fin fits the Proboat hydros as well.. the bracket was designed to fit both boats.

Grimracer
Old 07-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Bradmph
My Feedback: (2)

If I had a boat wiping out, especially on a turn...I would put a small curl at the very bottom edge of the skeg fin.
For example, create a few new fins to test and roll a small curl about the diameter of a sharpee pen and pitch the curl little by little to see if you like the reaction. Try to angle the curl decent, so it pulls the boat against the water surface ever so slightly, BUT not to much. Remember the basics of Hydroplane water flight is all in the last 1/32 of an inch of the sponsons. Take that staight edge and make sure them things are as sharp as a knife edge like this "L", excessive paint can play havoc, Look at the sanded bottoms of real race boat, after a fancy paint job. Most the time you don't notice until they flip and reveal the straight edging from about 6 to 12 inches from transom forward.