Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Spektrum and Nitro boats?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Spektrum and Nitro boats?

Old 07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Matts maxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum and Nitro boats?

I have heard mixed opinions about using a spektrum system on a boat. I would like to know what you guys think about this, I like the radio's but I want to be sure that it will work well. By the way it's going in my new TS2 [sm=thumbup.gif]

Thanks for the help,
Matt
Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Cracker Box

Default RE: Spektrum and Nitro boats?

I have run mine in two boats and have not had any problems.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

I don't feel like complaining about it right now, but I think ron olson will be around later to chime in him, wave waker, and OB nut saw first hand how bad it is. range is horrid. No good at all. FM all the way!!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM
LtDoc

Matt ,
Everything has problems of some sort, at one time or another, and the 'Spektrum' radio won't be an exception. So far, I haven't had any problems with my 'DX6'. I know the range is more than I'll ever need, don't care if it's ~only~ something like 1/2 mile! I couldn't see my boats at that distance any way - lol.
The 'DX6' is really sort of more radio than most boaters need. The no crystals needed, and the mixing options are kind'a handy. So is the individual memory set up for each boat (and the six channels). Not everyone needs them though. It is a viable choice.
- 'Doc

I don't use them but it has the only receiver I've ever seen that was small enough to cram inside a baloon!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Cracker Box

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

I don't feel like complaining about it right now, but I think ron olson will be around later to chime in him, wave waker, and OB nut saw first hand how bad it is. range is horrid. No good at all. FM all the way!!!!

Have you had problems, or are you just repeating what others have said? The original stubby cell phone like antennas had range problems, but Horizon says that has been cleared up. I believe some people have experimented with increasing the length of the wire antenna that comes with the updated receivers in an attempt to gain even more range. The boats I have run with my Spectrum are a 24 inch crackerbox and a Dumas Hawk 3.5. Both have the antenna extended as far above the boat as it can be. Some people have said that they have a problem when the tuned pipe comes between the radio and the antenna. Both of my boats run that way with no problem. Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ding dong! DodamissC brought his boats up here and yes, he did have a lot of problems with his. Extending the antenna length didn't help much at all yet he still only had a range of only maybe 200 feet. fortunately his failsafe kept kicking in otherwise we'd be chasing it across the lake. He's not the first to have problems with his. I've seen too many posts where people complained about them. From what I've heard the fliers aren't using them either now as they're not getting any distance. Some clubs have outlawed them at their fields.
Some of the early runs were found to have the circuit boards cracking as the components were hitting the top of the reciever case.
If you have had luck with yours, fine, as you are one of the few. One of these days there may be a problem as cordless phones are on the same frequencies. Some of these have a range of up to 2 miles. I worry about being on 27 Mhz also as we have CBer's that have there radios tweaked just a little. One neighbor pushes enough wattage to come through my computers speakers!