Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

What about the "Tiger Shark" boat?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

What about the "Tiger Shark" boat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 AM
xism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the "Tiger Shark" boat?

Looks nice, http://www.rc-tradingpost.com/nitroboattigershark.html

here's another boat, claims 50 mph lol... http://www.hobbytron.com/DolphinNitr...SportBoat.html
Old 07-25-2006, 04:16 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: What about the "Tiger Shark" boat?

The only way a 3 foot long (1 meter) boat that's powered by a .15 size nitro engine is going to do 40 mph is in the trunk of your car, or if you drop it from a high place.
here's another boat, claims 50 mph lol... http://www.hobbytron.com/DolphinNitr...SportBoat.html
Yup, the claims in the Dolphin ads are a constant source of entertainment! A month or so ago someone posted a link to an eBay ad from a not so happy Dolphin purchaser.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
xism

yes, 40 sounds to much. but it doesnt need to be crap.... i mean, the traxxas nitro boat doesnt have so much bigger engine than a .15, and thats a fast boat
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, and I estimate my boats going faster than they really do! A radar gun proved me wrong.
The Dolphin is a joke. Both of the boats that you mention are former ABC Hobby boats.
Do a search for the Dolphin in here and you'll find plenty of info on it including a link that I provided to a disgruntled owner of one.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:13 PM
xism

Ok! but check out this video; http://www.new-concord-toys.com/8801.htm
Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
NJ NETS FAN
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: xism

yes, 40 sounds to much. but it doesnt need to be crap.... i mean, the traxxas nitro boat doesnt have so much bigger engine than a .15, and thats a fast boat
Wow if you think a traxxas boat is fast try a Proboat Shockwave or Thundercat. Those 2 are atleast 15mph faster than a ttraxxas nitro boat.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:23 PM
xism

yeah, or a jet stream 1000!
but your telling me the Proboat Shockwave(35mph) is 15mph is faster than the traxxas nitro vee?
then the nitro vee is only around 20... thats only 1-2 mph faster than a villain ex...

right?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Ron Olson

I did and only saw a boat going maybe 20 MPH. A better prop would certainly help as it's wasting a lot of power there. The music and engine noise make you think that it's going faster than it is.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
NJ NETS FAN

Yea, my shockwave with a handheld gps has gone 34.3mph and ppl with thundercats have hit 40mph. I have seen a traxxas nitro run and they do nothing for me. No offense, but they are way to slow for me and am glad I have a Shockwave. I have had the Shockwave for over a year now and have never stalled out in the middle of a lake. The only thing traxxas has is a return to shore thing, but like I said, I've never had to retrieve my boat. If your looking for a new nitro get a thundercat. Oh yea, that chinese boat that had the video was maybe doing 20mph(if that) in that video.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
xism

an interesting question, is your shockwave faster than a jet stream 1000?
(stock vs stock)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 PM
NJ NETS FAN

I have never seen a jet stream 1000 run so I can't answer that question. I'm not a big fan of Kyosho. I did a search on the web of the boat and found that it has it's share of problems but could not find any info on top speed. Do you know the top speed of a kyosho jet stream?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 PM
xism

no i dont... therefor i was asking u :P
i own a jet stream 1000, have run it alot the last days is a very nice boat! my father and a friend was estimated the speed to around 30-40 mph... but thats just that "estimating". if u ask me, i would guess... 40 :P

I, on the other hand... is a big fan of kyosho, and tamiya(cars)
Old 07-25-2006, 04:07 PM
NJ NETS FAN

Well if you want to know the answer go strap a handheld gps on or have a cop with a radar gun radar your boat. There's a guy on ebay selling a jet stream and he says they run 30-35 mph. My guess would be it would be a close race but I think the shockwave would be the winner because it has a tuned pipe and could probably get up to speed quicker that that muffler exhaust the jet stream uses. Now with the thundercat, I think the thundercat would win over the jet stream by a bigger margin because of the hull design. These are all my opinions.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: xism
but your telling me the Proboat Shockwave(35mph) is 15mph is faster than the traxxas nitro vee?
then the nitro vee is only around 20... thats only 1-2 mph faster than a villain ex...
The nitro vee, in my opinion suffers from many disadvantages.
1) weighs a ton 3.5lbs
2) very big 32"
3) weak Traxxas engine

It is more of a slow sport boat. Not only is it powered by a weak .15, it carries a RTS electric motor, RTS drive system and battery pack.

There is no reason to have a RTS (Return to shore) system, for someone looking for speed.

Ryan
Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 PM
wave waker

TIGER SHARK!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]..it swim in salt water but i don't think so in fresh water??just kidding man...the speed claim is hard to believe....
Old 07-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Ron Olson

What you're going to find out that anything on water appears faster than on land. Compare a full-sized boat to a full-sized car. 70 doesn't feel that fast on the highway but get in a boat and you're scootin'!
I ran one day with a group out of the Grand Rapids area and one of the guys had a Stalker radar gun. My little .12 mono wasn't dialed on and hit 33. There was a Jetstream there and he wasn't faster than me but ran pretty well for a Kyosho boat.
Anyway, back to the subject, where we're supposed to be. This is how I look at the boat. It could use some help but most RTR's do need some tweaking that the companies didn't bother with. What happens if you need parts? It's a long way to China. Warranty? Yeah, right.