Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New to the RC boat scene - need some advice.....

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New to the RC boat scene - need some advice.....

Old 07-28-2006, 03:04 AM
mdemetri2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the RC boat scene - need some advice.....

Hi there all

I am new to the RC boats scene (used to be with nitro cars), and have a few questions as a beginner:

I'm wanting to with nitro as I'm used to playing around with it previously, but what are the advantages over electric powered boats?
Can the nitro powered boats go on sea water?
What nitro boat would you recommend?
Do they have a fail safe feature - what happens if it runs or cuts out while out in the middle of a lake or something……..

Answers much appreciated…………

Dem
Old 07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: New to the RC boat scene - need some advice.....

Okay, here we go:
1) No recharge waiting time, just refuel it, start it and launch it. No matching ESCs to motors and battery pack capacity
2) With proper cleaning and maintenance, yes they can be run on salt water. If you don't clean it properly, you'll have a rusted mess.
3) We will need more info from you on that one. Water conditions, boat size and type, etc.
4) Fail safes are available for any radio system, which is where it would be located. Some computer radios have the fail safe programmed in the software(the Futaba 9C, for example)
5) If the boat stalls, you:
A) take a chase boat and go get it
B) wait for the wind to blow it in
C) have an electric boat to push it in
D) have a tennis ball on a fishing line and hope it's close enough to throw/cast to
E) YOU DO NOT SWIM FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Basically the same advantages/disadvantages as nitro or electric powered cars and trucks.
If the boat is big enough or if you plan on running on calm or in swells will dictate how big to go.
Are you looking at a RTR or putting one togehter for your first boat and how much you want to spend. If you still have radio gear or other things left over from your 4-wheeler days, some of this can be used.
Of course I agree with HJ, especially on his last line, even more if you run in the ocean as you have the undertows to worry about. We've already had several drownings this year on this side of Lake Michigan because of them.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Raylon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way I would swim to get it is if you are in a private lake and know everything about the lake and are positive theres no way you can get injured. I swim to get my boat when it stalls because there are never any other boats around, I have been there 10 years and have never seen another RC boat. And I am a good swimmer and just push the boat in front of me as I swim. I always put a life jacket on though jsut incase something happens.