Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Just got my Miss Vegas! w/ some ?'s

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Just got my Miss Vegas! w/ some ?'s

Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 PM
supermotoxaustin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my Miss Vegas! w/ some ?'s

Ive read and heard a lot about the miss Vegas and i just got it in today and i was wondering about the silicone extension for the exhaust pipe that goes under water. Does a lot of oil come out of it? or does very little oil come out and it just stays on the silicone? Since i have to go to a lake to use it i wanted to break it in in my pool which is large but i was wondering if it would make the water very dirty or will the chlorine take care of it?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Just got my Miss Vegas! w/ some ?'s

It's typically not possible to get a nitro boat up to an adequate break in speed in a pool, unless it's a really slow boat, or a REALLY big pool. Holding the boat still to break in the engine is not advised since it's dangerous and it places too much load on the engine. So, the bottom line is it doesn't matter whether the oil would or would not effect the pool water, you shouldn't try running the boat in the pool.

Note that breaking it in on land with some method of supplying water to cool it is also not advised. Running an engine at high RPMs with no load is a good way to destroy the rod.

It's understandable to want to get your boat running soon, but the engine will last much longer if you wait until you can get it to a pond. Also remember to keep it on the rich side. Lean runs can significantly shorten the life of the engine.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:55 PM
supermotoxaustin

thanks, i guess the only thing i really want to do in the pool is to make sure everything is working properly before i go to a pond to brake it in, not really run it at full speeds, but will it still be bad for the water?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:08 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

The days before a race I typically prep 3-4 boats. My usual routine is to put the engines back in, check out the radio, confirm there are no loose bolts, install the shafts, etc. I know the boats were ok the last time at the pond, if not they would have been repaired not long after the last outing, but have no idea whether they will be ok this time. After doing this bunches of times, what I've found is that if I prep them against a known standard, things will be fine when they get to the water.

So, how does this apply to your new boat? The folks at Aquacraft have done a great job with the manual that comes with your boat. Follow the instructions for prepping it. Double check that all the linkages are ok, radio works, needle is set appropriately for break in, etc. Read through the maintenance information, that some people ignore until AFTER they've run the boat the first time. Study the directions for starting it and running the first few times. Do all these things and everything will be fine when you get it to the pond for the first time.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:15 PM
toyotatruckin

here is a simple reply for you Yes oil will get in your pool and mabey grease from your flexshaft to and on that note Dont forget to grease the shaft!