Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

team infinity 18 marine engine

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

team infinity 18 marine engine

Old 07-31-2006, 08:03 AM
narn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default team infinity 18 marine engine

I am looking for a first nitro boat ( i already have an electric one) and am looking at the nimbus volvo b-24. I was just wondering is the .18 team infinity engine in it is any good (or if the boat itself is good). I already have a cen nitro car so i know the basics of nitro engines. ( I know that there is a cen version but i have had bad experiences with nt-16s)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: team infinity 18 marine engine

I've talked to someone who bought their Miss Bud look alike boat and he had nothing but trouble with the engine and boat.
I'm surprised that you had problems with the CEN engine. I had one of the .16's and it was the best starting and running engines that I've owned. It would usually start on the first pull. It's not a powerhouse but dependable.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
narn

My first nt-16 was given to me by a friend in a fun factor who had run a tank in it until the plastic exhaust came loose and go melted by the manifold. they couldnt nderstand why it would fly off as soon as it started, so they got bored and left it to me. It turned out that the idle was set at half throttle! i got th needles to the break in settings and it ran well. then it started getting hot and losing power suddenly, no matter how rich it was. CEN customer service said there was an air leak, and also suspected that the piston and sleeve were damaged. I saw the engine swap program, so got a new engine then instead of spending the same amount on parts. the second one never ran well- it started and starts easily, but would die if you put too much throttle on, and this got worse until now when you can hardly give it any throttle, even with the wheels off the ground. I replaced the fuel tubing+pressure line, checked the tank for leaks and took the engine out an ran it under zero load, and it only got slightly better.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 PM
ianboichat

Well for what its worth I've just bought one of these with the 18 engine which despite many attempts refuses to even start, the boat itself looks good, if i actually manage to get it started I'll let you know how it goes. any advice on starting it appreciated. (begining to think an electric one might have been a better idea) but I have had experience with nitro engines before only they used electric starters not the pull cord on this one.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
gofast53

I have one of these boats and it runs great. My motor has Infinity VX .18 on it and which has nothing to do with Team Infinity. Infinity motors are made in China and Team Infinity are Japan!
Recheck you motor casing and you may find that it is indeed not a Team Infinity, as they only make motors for cars.
One thing to be weary of is that the quality of the paint job is not that great as if you spill glow fuel on it and do not clean it off straight away it appears to eat into the paint!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
gofast53

Forgot to mention, if it is the Infinity motor then yep they sure are difficult to start when new. My piston and sleeve were really tight and I ended up breaking the pull cord twice from flooding it!
Took motor out of boat, fitted a prop and spinner and used my electric starter. Life suddenlt becam so much easier and was then able to run a few tanks through it before reinstalling into boat. Motor now starts within a few pulls of the cord!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:57 AM
narn

thanks carimali, are the engine instuctions good, because as i said both of my nitro engines so far have ended up almost useless.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 AM
narn

thanks carimali, are the engine instuctions good, because as i said both of my nitro engines so far have ended up almost useless.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM
ianboichat

ok carilmali so looks like you were right on the infinity branding, still can't get it to start, have tried loosening off the glo plug, is there any way of checking that my glo starter is working properly, I don't know should the top of the glo plug get hot? would kinda like to get it going without having to take it apart, the whole point of buying a RTR boat! Bit of a newbie I'm afraid. Also wondered if I do get it going obviously am going to need to run it in, does it need to be on the water or will it just overheat if run on the stand.

Glad to here it will run well when I can get it started
Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 PM
gofast53

I am no expert on nitro engines but I have learnt some tips from my off-road car days and also through trial and error!

In regards to checking your glow plug and driver, best thing to do is to remove glow plug from engine and test on your glow driver to ensure glow plug element glows red. Yes it will get hot on top if left on the glow driver too long.

I found that my Infinity engine was very tight when turning over and that if you were not careful when pulling on the starter cord, you risked either snapping the cord or twisting the flimsy rubber motor mounts (which ou do not want to do otherwise they will break!).

That is why I ended up taking the motor out of the boat and running on a test bench. If you are unable to do this then I suggest the following:
-first put some after run oil through the engine for lubrication
-check that all screws are tight on engine. Especially check screws on coupler (connects between engine and prop shaft) and also screws at prop.
-open throttle fully and put a few drops of fuel down carbi throat.
-close throttle but leave it open enough so that there is approx. a 1mm gap.
-Loosen glow plug slightly ((approx. 1/2 a turn)
-connect glow driver and start yanking on starter cord.
-once engine starts tighten glow plug. Do not run for too long otherwise you risk overheating motor and definitely do not give it full throttle. One trick when testing out of the water is to use a plastic 1.5 litr Coke bottle full with water and connect to inlet side of engine water cooler head using a tube. This will enable you to run the engine for longer periods.

With my engine, factory settings were pretty much spot on for breaking engine in (high speed 3.5 turns out from fully closed, low speed needle- flush). Once you can start the engine easily on the bench and keep it running, breaking in the engine should be done in the water. As you need to put a load on it as well as have the correct cooling. Boat needs to be moving in the water for correct cooling!

Unfortunately I did not get any instructions with my engine, but the basics for getting it started and for tuning are pretty much the same for all engines.
In the early stages you just want to get it running and then keep it running for break-in before you even look at tuning. These engines like to run a lot richer compared to a car engine.

I am on my fifth tank and still tuning to get more power as running too rich. It all takes time as engine may run great out of water but may be opposite when in water!

Good luck, once you get through all the initial frustration I am sure you will find this boat and engine are a lot of fun!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 AM
ianboichat

Thanks for all the advice, will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

You might have guessed but I didn't get any instructions with the boat/engine at all!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:58 PM
gofast53

A few things I forgot to mention, try opening throttle fully and remove tank pressure vent tube from exhaust manifold nipple. Gently blow down vent tube and you should see fuel squirt from the jet located inside the carbi. If not check for blockage in fuel line or even in carbi. I found that dirt particles had blocked my carbi (most likely from being in storage in model shop), so I had to remove carbi from motor and then unscrew and remove both high speed and low speed needles so that I could blow out with an air gun. Reassembled, reset needles and did above test and all was OK.

If fuel is getting to motor and you have sufficient glow at the plug there should be no reason for the motor to not at least fire up, even for just a short burst!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 AM
narn

cheers guys
Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 AM
narn

Just making sure - this is the boat we're talking about, isnt it - http://www.storacingproducts.com/cgi...prod_NBNB5011S
Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 AM
ianboichat

Well it looks the same although the measurements are slightly different - I got this one
http://www.********.co.uk/4GPFY328.htm

Old 08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
gofast53

Hi gents, yes same boat in one! One last warning replace the crappy plastic prop with a descent metal one as my original plastic one flew apart after hitting something in the water.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:25 AM
ianboichat

yippe - got the boat started (several times now) and had my first run on the water - thanks for all the help. I now have a quick (and probably typical newbie) question which is how do I slow it down!!!! seems to have 2 speeds, fast and faster, also when i pull the trigger on the controller it slows down whereas everything else I've used before worked the other way round!

Got to get the braking sorted though or will end up crashing big time.

Happy boating
Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Jesus C

How fast dose your Boat go at idle? You may have the servo reverse switch the wrong way. That happend to me when my little 4 yr old cousin took my transmitter. When I pulled the trigger for throttle it would slow down & when I tried to turn off the engine it would speed up. I was confsued until I looked at the transmitter.[:@]
Old 08-04-2006, 03:01 PM
ianboichat

sounds the likely answer if I knew where the servo reverse switch was - any ideas anyone?

I also wondered why the boat turns right far better than it turns left and if there was anything I could do about it - I'm guessing it has something to do with the offset rudder. But v. impressed with the boat in the water - drew a few crowds on the local canal!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Jesus C

The servo reverse switch should be on the transmitter. Post a pic up so I can show you where it is since I dont know what transmitter you have. Boats tend to turn one way better than the other.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
ianboichat

its a rebadged futaba 3pm, have downloaded a pdf of the instructions so I think I have found the sub menu for rev servos now - will test tomorrow and see if it works. As for my further thoughts on the boat - its tempermental but v fast, I'm hoping as the engine gets worn in and once a few other tweaks made should be great. I have had to make several trips out in the rescue dinghy today!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 AM
narn

from what youre saying i suppose that you dont get a transmitter with it. am i right?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:58 AM
narn

I saw on the wbsite that ianboichat posted that it comes with a futaba trigger-type transmitter. I have only ever used twin sticks so i could use my sanwa transmitter i suppose
Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 AM
narn

ORIGINAL: CARIMALI

Hi gents, yes same boat in one! One last warning replace the crappy plastic prop with a descent metal one as my original plastic one flew apart after hitting something in the water.
which prop would you use?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:25 PM
gofast53

ionboichat...good to hear you finally got it on the water! Sounds like you need to adjust your servo reverse switch on your transmitter. Once engine has been run in, when it is at idle you want to adjust idle screw too decrease engine revs to a point just before engine stalls. But while breaking engine in it pays to have higher revs at idle as you want to keep the engine running and not stalling, otherwise boat will spend more time sitting in the middle of the pond that actually driving around!
One thing to be weary of that caught me out...... normally you set your transmitter up so that pulling trigger fully towards you fully opens throttle barrel, obviously trigger at stationary point is idle and pushing trigger fully closes throttle. In initial break in stages and while you are getting use to handling boat, I set transmitter up so that full throttle and idle positions are as stated above, but adjusted one of my end points and throttle stop screw on engine so that when pushing trigger forward this had no affect. Reason being that if you are not use to using this type of transmitter, you will get into a nasty habit of pushing the trigger forward to slow boat down without thinking, resulting in engine shutting down and boat standed in middle of pond!
Engine performance will improve once it has been run in, just don't run it at full throttle for too long, just short bursts until you have run engine in. It all takes patience in the initial stages, as my engine ran very eratic for the first few tanks. I just keep it close to shore as I did not have a rescue boat!
Standard package includes a generic futaba transmitter with servo reverse switches and end point adjustements.
Suggeted prop Prather S-215 (stainless).....I have tried several and have found this one to be fine.
.........sorry guys for the long winded story!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.