Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Prather 31" OB deep-v

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Prather 31" OB deep-v

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:14 PM
sowega flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prather 31" OB deep-v

I just got a great deal on an unfinished one with all the parts. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for this boat? It came with an unused 3.5 K&B so that is the engine I will be running. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (pics too- if ya got em) Thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 PM
oldlugs

Default RE: Prather 31" OB deep-v

My idea is to cut the deck off, and make the hull lower profile, then install motor mount rails for an inboard... Use the outboard on a different boat, and get an inboard for the Prather vee hull.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:44 PM
sowega flyer

Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
sowega flyer

Hmmm....well, oldlugs, that was waaaayyyy more work (and money) than I wanted to do with this boat, but I guess that by the lack of response to this thread that may be everybodies sentiment on this hull. Is the Prather really that bad?? I dont want a race boat, as a matter of fact, I dont know anyone else around here that is interested in r/c boats. I just wanted a boat that I can have some fun with....
Old 08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: sowega flyer

Hmmm....well, oldlugs, that was waaaayyyy more work (and money) than I wanted to do with this boat, but I guess that by the lack of response to this thread that may be everybodies sentiment on this hull. Is the Prather really that bad?? I dont want a race boat, as a matter of fact, I dont know anyone else around here that is interested in r/c boats. I just wanted a boat that I can have some fun with....
The Prather is a good hull for an inboard. Outboard model deep vees are not all that popular because they don't run all that well.

JD

Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 AM
sowega flyer

Are they unstable or just slow? Or both? I have never had a vee hull r/c boat. I had a hotshot .21 twenty years ago, and enjoyed the simplicity of the outboard. I dont know anything about inboards , but they seem to be complicated to set up right.
Maybe I'll just scrap the prather and get another tunnel- no wonder I got such a good deal on this one!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 AM
oldlugs

The Prather is a good hull, as JD says. Once upon a time, Prather hulls were very competititive racers, but that was 15+ years ago. They're still a sweet running 'sport' hull in stock form, just not as fast or stable at 50+ mph speeds that some current 21 monos run. The thing is, that it's an older hull with a more 'scale' appearance, and not low profile and aerodynamic, like more modern race hulls. The epoxy-glass construction does make it light weight and fairly strong, so I suggested cutting and lowering it... If the inside of the hull hasn't been painted, or soaked with oil, it may not be that hard to install mount rails for an inboard... I'm not an outboard kind of guy, so the inboard is what I'd do with it.

Duane
Old 08-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Prather 31" Deep-Vee's were made for either inboard or outboard use but if you're notr going to race it, just follow the instructions if you have them. They required the radio box to be mounted further forward so to not have all of the weight in the rear.
JD was working on an outboard mono back a few years ago but don't remember how it was going. I do though remeber that he was using a tunnel hull canopy on it.
For some reason, R/C boats just don't handle like their full-sized counterparts. If you decided to finish the boat up and race it, you'd get smoked as you wolud have to run against much faster engines.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 PM
sowega flyer

Racing is pretty much out of the question, as there are no events within 200 miles of me, and I dont have that much time to devote to it. I also have to keep up the domestic relations (my wife) who would not understand why i need to spend so much money on airplanes AND boats! If there was a club down the road, well....who knows! Anyway, I have always maintained an interest in r/c boats and thought that this would be a good project as a fun boat to kick around with. As I said in my first post, I got a great deal on this one as an unfinished project, and the instructions were included. along with everything else so I just need to set it up to run. Im starting to think, though that if OB deep vees arent that much fun....maybe a TS2 might be the way to go. If I can find a way to have the UPS guy wait until my wife leaves for work before he delivers it
Old 08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
skymortar

just ran an 11cc prather,i dont know,maybe 39-41""what a a blast.turned well and ran super straight. my inboard which is longer and alot heavier would still bust its tail but the ob was still a heck of alot of fun
Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 PM
sowega flyer

I just got back from the lake and I might be hooked on boating!! I ran my boat for the first time today and with everything I have learned in this forum, I had a blast! I set my boat up as the instructions called for plus a little weight up front (maybe a little too much) but the boat runs great! I'm running a prather 220 prop. and 33% nitro. I know this isn't a very popular boat around here, but it is my first boat after a long time away, so I'm happy with it- will post pics if anyone wants to see.
Thanks for all the info available in here- y'all are the best!