Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Pro boat Blackjack 26

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Pro boat Blackjack 26

Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 AM
wake racer85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro boat Blackjack 26

What do you guys think about the new Blackjack 26 Pro Boat is releasing? I'm aware Pro Boat has their larger Cat out right now, but i like the Blackjack's more scaled looks and smaller price tag. I've had an Aeromarine's Mean Machine on hold at my LHS about a year ago, but I decided to cancell my order do to their inability to stick to their release date. After reading the Mean Machine's posts I'm glad i did, as it sounds like a real ***. All in all, i want to know if you guys think this boat is worth waiting on, let alone getting excited about and if is a better value than the Mean Machine. I'm not particularly fond of its plastic drive/rudder assembly and i don't see a need for its skid fins, but I know every RTR is going to have its faults.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Raylon

Default RE: Pro boat Blackjack 26

Well, I have the TC31 and I love it. But, it has its faults, and it looks as if they have made some improvements on this one from the TC31. First thing I noticed was that the throttle linkage finally does not have a bend in it and has a proper link on it. Other thing I noticed was the orange seal on the exhaust pressurization from the header. It is a constant pain on mine sometimes not getting it sealed since it broke loose after about a day of running, and now it should fit tighty and seal properly. The header looks like it also has a rubber gasket. I also like that it has a steerable prop. I looked at it and couldn't find the rudder, and turns out that it turns using steerable drive system. Plastic though. I see them breaking real easy if they come into contact with something on the water. Still has the T drive system which hasn't been bad for me yet, but have heard some bad things about it. Has only one screw in a better location to secure the cowling in my opinion. The TC31 has it right in back above the prop and sometimes I worry I will drop it onto prop and have it rocket off into the air while destroying a prop. Still has the radio box with 9 screws or whatever it is. That is my biggest complaint about the TC. Takes 10 minutes to take the screws out and ge them back in. I wonder if the graphics are paint of stickers? It is a good looking boat I have to give them that. Let's see what kind of problems arise when it starts getting used. Not a bad buy by the looks of it so far. Maybe an expert can share their opinion.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Jesus C

Can you get a pic? I've never heard of it & really want to see it
Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
jdoug

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Phot...ctCode=PRB2800

Old 08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
330T

that drive system has to go.

and whats up with the two tirn fins?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Jesus C

thanks jdoug. The outdrive really has to go. They should just use the strut & rudder like the TC31, but I guess that they dont want to deal with the problems they have had. What size engine will it have?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
wake racer85

Thanks for the feedback fellas. J.C, it uses the Dynamite .15 engine; the same one used in their miss bud/ llumar/ elam etc. I also agree with you guys on the plastic steerable/ drive system, it has to go, but believe it or not Pro Boat claims this boat will do 30 MPH! If this is the case, I'm sure removal of the unnecessary skid fins and an O.S .18 engine upgrade will make this thing fly. I'd really like to see the looks on peoples' faces when they see a 2 foot boat screaming across the water at the speed of some full sized boats.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:43 PM
flatbottem

what about puting the hardwere from the miss lumar on the black jack like the rudder and all that
Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM
wake racer85

I was thinking more along the lines of the Mean Machine's running gear. I'm sure that hardware could be fairly easy to put on this boat. Now tell me this boat with the aforementioned running gear, an O.S .18 engine, and a Octura metal prop wouldn't take the cake. I'm sure with a little more work you could propably even get an O.S. .21 in this thing.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2 (and more) cents on it. I just looked at it on the Horizon Hobby site.
First, it looks like it rides really wet, notice the spray so far forward on the hull, even at speed.
Turn fins? No decent Cat hull should need them.
Steerable outdrives, never been a fan of them and never will be on R/C boats.
The header and pipe need just a little more gap to avoid radio interference.
It does look like they redid the exhaust flange for this boat so the engine may breathe a little better.
November delivery time. OK if you want one for Christmas but if you live where it snows, bad news for taking it out to run.
30 MPH, we'll see.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:23 PM
flatbottem

should i just stick with the thunder cat or shoud i consider the black jack im mean does the thunder acat have more potential
Old 08-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Ron Olson

There is more potential in any RTR boat. This is one where if it were mine, I'd drop a .21 in it and ditch the outdrive.
Do you want to wait until November?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:16 PM
flatbottem

i work for hobbytownusa and i can get it right now but ditch what out drive and also what brand of paint can i use to paint the thunder cat of black jack
Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM
flatbottem

yea but wich one has more petential i just wonna get the one i can make fastest
Old 08-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Raylon

I would say the TC31 may have more potential because of it's larger size, but who knows.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
wake racer85

I personally feel the Blackjack has more potential because if you were to drop a .21 in it, just as Ron and I suggested, it would haul some serious behind. Considering it's almost a half foot shorter than the TCat i'm shure it weighs quite a bit less.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:17 PM
wake racer85

Ron how hard do you think it would be to convert this thing into a .21 powered boat?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 PM
flatbottem

i got a old kyosho gx-21 that might be able to put in it but i need to know what else i would have to do
for that mod
Old 08-07-2006, 10:47 PM
jelly bean

well im no expert... but i think change it to a strut and rudder. am i right Ron?
LOL
i thing looks pretty sweet. i might put it on my list for santa to deliver my stuff i want.!. only problem is like Ron said. we get snow here! LOL and lots of it. nice thing is it could be snow one day in michigan, and the next its 90 degrees with sunshine.
just my .02 or more cents
Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 AM
flatbottem

so how fast r we talking
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Raylon

It may be easier to put a larger motor in the TC31 though, because of how much space it has. The BJ26 looks kinda cramped. BTW, the TC31 overall length is 36 inches, so its 10 inches shorter. Putting a 40 or larger sized motor in the TC31 and it would serious haul some behind. We've had some approach 40 on the TC31 with some slight modification. I bet 50 would easily be acheived with the TC31 with a larger motor, I don't think anyone has tried it yet. The 26 would be a better candidate for electric conversion because of it's size though.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Ron Olson

Both boats have the same problem with putting some hotter engines in them, the radio boxes are in the way.
If I were going to upgrade the new Cat with a hot .21 then the rest of the driveline would need a total upgrade to make it really scoot! The motor mount could be saved and widened for a .21 but I'd go with 3/16" flex cable and some nice hardware for the transom.
The othewr usual up dates would be needed for a .21 also like a larger fuel tank without a screw-on or flip-top one.
I can see why they went with the plastic prop as it may be thie Octura purple prop, no sharpening or balancing needed, possibly something they learned when they were using Prather props that were neither out of the box. The skeg on the outdrive would help to prevent breakage but I can't see running plastic props on any boats any more as they simply aren't made for the power that todays engines are putting out, even sport engines.
We have ot keep in mind that the majority of ProBoat boats are made mostly for first-time boaters so there are compromises made for them. Once they learn the ropes then they can start doing some serious tweaking.
In the meantime I'll take the wait and see attitude until they start putting them in the hands of those interested in one.
I'm still waiting for them to put out a boat that is class legal for the sanctioning bodies so they should either go smaller with a .12 or go up to .21's or in the case of their other boats, a .45 instead of the .32's.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 AM
flatbottem

well im 14 i think the thunder cat would be perfect for my first boat.it would haul some a** if i put that .21 turbo in it also whats the quality on the radio
Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Ron Olson

The radio for the T-Cat is pretty basic. The JR Python is OK as far as low-dollar systems go. I have one sitting in the workshop but what turned me off was trying to adjust the trims, especially if your hands get oily from fuel. Some people pull the trim knobs out a little to make them easier to use.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 AM
flatbottem

so do u think it would go fast if i put the os.turbo .21

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.