Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

miss budweiser boat problems

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

miss budweiser boat problems

Old 08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
slowstang93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default miss budweiser boat problems

so i bought a boat off a buddy. the boat is ready to run with 45% nitro gas. it has a .21 os max rg motor i believe and a custom pipe. i can get the boat to run pretty well out of the water but once i put the boat in the water it kills the motor almost instantly. i have tried to turn the idle right before i launch the boat, i have also tried to launch it under WOT. i have also tried to push it off, i have tried to set it down in the water slowly. any ideas? is my mixture that far off from when i run it out of the water to in the water? is the motor tired?

i am about to tie the boat to my fishing pole and just cast it out and reel it in, i am tired of not being able to use it!

thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: miss budweiser boat problems

If it's stalling that fast, you are probably that lean. Where is your needle set? Anything less than 2 to 2.5 turns can hurt your engine, not to mention not letting it run in the water.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:53 PM
slowstang93

i am pretty new to boat but i do realize that it is water cooled so i never let it over heat or run long enough to damage it...

i will turn it out 2-2.5 turns...anything else i should look at? should this boat idle in the water or does it need to be part or WOT all the time?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: slowstang93

i am pretty new to boat but i do realize that it is water cooled so i never let it over heat or run long enough to damage it...

i will turn it out 2-2.5 turns...anything else i should look at? should this boat idle in the water or does it need to be part or WOT all the time?
It's not going to idle too well till you get 4 - 5 tanks of fuel through it.

JD
Old 08-07-2006, 05:31 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Here's a link to the manual for the .21 RG-M engine: http://www.osengines.com/manuals/21r...-mx-manual.pdf

As HJ said, it sounds lean. This is one of the most common reasons for an engine to die right after launching. Try opening the needle 2.5 turns. It's possible that there are other problems, but this is the most common, and easiest to solve.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 PM
slowstang93

thanks for all the responces. i used to mess around with gas car years back and i am just getting into the boats.

i am going to adjust the needle app. 2.5 turns out and give it a whirl and let you guys know when i get back. i really think this is a bad ass site. i go on alot of car sites and most people rip apart the rookies.

THANKS EVERYONE!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you just droping the boat in the water or are you giving it a toss?? i usually have to toss my boats to get them going. The miss bud is a nice looking boat huh, i just got mine, will try it out over the weekend. Also like everyone else said, run it a little rich.

good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: slowstang93

thanks for all the responces. i used to mess around with gas car years back and i am just getting into the boats.

i am going to adjust the needle app. 2.5 turns out and give it a whirl and let you guys know when i get back. i really think this is a bad ass site. i go on alot of car sites and most people rip apart the rookies.

THANKS EVERYONE!
You're quite welcome, and btw, welcome to RCU! I think you'll find boaters to be a bit more polite than the car guys. As far as ripping aparty the rookies, at some point, we were all new. Embarrassing newcomers does nothing to grow the sport. If anyone gets ripped apart, it's usually us old farts!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

Who's an "old fart"? Are you refering to Ron, Jerry, yourself or me?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Who's an "old fart"? Are you refering to Ron, Jerrry, yourself or me?
PLEASE!!! The correct term is "Mature Flatulence."

JD
Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
misshydro

Hi, Can you send me pic of your boat? I'd got a Miss Budwiser boat and got ripped on that deal.The motor froze up on first try. I do have a .21Leo brand new that I'd got a supper deal on it. I would love to see how your boat was set up. Because I'm haveing proublems with mine.Plus my boat hull had cracks the the guy didnt tell me about and I'd fixed it plus pored resion and swished it around to give it a coat in side.But it made the hull alittle heavy.That why I'd would love to run a big block. If I was you I'd would run a thunder tiger pro or sts .28 They both have high RPMs 40.000 that would make your boat fly and them some. That what I'm going to do..But I'd would love to see your boat set up Please. Thankyou very much and have a nice day. Oh your boat proublem you should tune it out of the water.Conect a garden hose with a smaller hose to the water inlet on the boat then run your boat and readjust your carb.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:42 AM
slowstang93

i just wrote a whole story on my night...i am going to make a small outline and hit the sac. its almost 4 am and i need to be at work at 7 am

my friend came over, messed with the boat. he talked me into going to a local pond at 1am

he drives the boat straight away from us and it dies out.

i spend 20 min casting and coming within inches of the boat and nothing

boat starts to sink

my friend goes in for a swim at 2am to get the boat. i am sure he will chim in tomorrow and give some more details.

here is a lil video of the return swim, i used my phone and it was pitch black out. there is some swearing so it might be NWS...

this is the funniest sh*t i have been involved with in a looooonnnggg time.

[link=http://profileracecraft.com/video/021.3g2]http://profileracecraft.com/video/021.3g2[/link]

not i am going to bed and i will post some pics of the boat some the guy above can see how the motor and everything was set up and also convert the video to mpeg and brighten it up alot.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Who's an "old fart"? Are you refering to Ron, Jerry, yourself or me?
I can only speak for myself, but I know I'm younger than Ron and Jerry.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
slowstang93

here are some pics for misshydro....if you want some of something more spefic just ask

Old 08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
mazur50

You know that is one heavy boat at 2am when it is FULL of water, what a bad idea. O well it was fun at least i got to swim.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Which part was the bad idea, running at 0-dark-30 or swimming for the boat? To be realistic, both ARE bad ideas. You can't see any of the stuff that might be in the water, which can result in a destroyed/sunk boat. You also can end up dead, like a few others have this year. As you found out, a boat full of water is a tough item to push and keep yourself up at the same time. You can both consider yourselves lucky you still have your life and the boat. Sorry if I sound like I'm on a soapbox, but I would hate to read about another person dying trying to retreive an R/C boat.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:06 PM
mazur50

next time i am going to let it sink or get a electric boat.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:31 PM
skymortar

my father always told me"nothing good happens outside after midnight"be careful fellas
Old 08-10-2006, 01:15 AM
slowstang93

i agree with you 100%

we where 4 people total and grown up around this lake/pond. i was kinding joking but i think next time if anyone goes swimming they will wear a life jacket!!!

i will also never run a boat at night...
Old 08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
slowstang93

man is that true!!!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Massey

I still have the stock engine in my Miss Elam (same boat only newer) and the first few times I put it in the water it killed the engine right away. I was not too lean I was actually running rich for break in. There is alot of load on the prop when it hits the water and that is likely what caused the stalls. Check your drivetrain as well to make sure that it is not binding that will only make the addition of water that much more. I found that staying on the throttle is the best way to launch the boat. I dont throw mine into the water, I just make sure that I am revving up the engine at the time the prop enters the water. Your boat looks like it has had some magor modifications but it looks good.

Massey
Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
misshydro

Hi Thanks for the pic.My motor wouldnt work because my cooling head is to big for it.The head makes my motor look like a mushroom.I'm hopeing to get my hands on a supper tiger pro.21 for it. I might know your proublem. your carb isnt straght,it cockedide. I'd cut off some off the adjuster screw off of my .21Leo to have the carb strait and linkage alined right. As it looks in you pic your linkage is croket angle,it might be binding up on you. On cutting your adjuster screw,just cut at the skinnypart before the big end of your top metaltab end.Then you can straiten your carb. I'm temperary using a Plastic speed storm that was electric to nitro. I'm hopeing to run this nexted week.I pray to God this works. When I get this done and working plus repaint to I'll post pic up for your guys to check it out. Oh by cutting of some of your adjuster screw it wont hurt the proformance of your motor,somebody else told me to do that too. I'm also a newbe at nitro too but I'm a fast learner too. If nitro doesnt work out with me I'm going to electric to!!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
slowstang93

now i am at the point where i can get the boat to launch and drive...it never plans out. it seems like it runs at half speed or something. i checked to make sure the carb is open all the way and it is... now i am still a lil worried taking the boat out far so i usaully just go along the shore. i was wonder how well this boats are supposed to turn and also what i can do to check to see if the motor is worn out? any ideas?

thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 12:08 AM
slowstang93

i forgot to add. i redid the line that goes from the header to the gas tank and put it farther back in the muffler and also replaced the peice of rubber that connects the 2 since the orginal one had a decent size tear in it...

here are a few pics

Old 08-12-2006, 02:11 AM
misshydro

Hi.join the club! My boat took a dump at my friend pond.ThankGod it was stranded a quarter way in.But he's got a boat their.His pond is small but a good test pond and can test my boat out anytime. I'd got My boat ready now and hopeing to try it out this tue.I'd got a post about breakins. Now to your boat.I was told that the .21/big block would be to heavy for it.It will cause her not to plane right. I'd try a tub float and push test.The bud boat sat down more and seam the boat will drag alittle/plow.Now the speed storm floated good and pushed good=I hopeing she should plane.Plus she plastic and plastic seam to float better.If you motor doesnt work,try OS .18 or theVx-18 the rpms is 4500 to 40.000 thats good a their on ebay store for 65 dollars that includes shipping.also the aqua marine .18 that whats in the Miss Lasvagas boat.