Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Wanting to get into racing...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Wanting to get into racing...

Old 08-12-2006, 05:27 AM
djyox
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to get into racing...

Well I was thinking about getting into racing, and was looking at the local Class "A Open" Where you can run .12 and .15 in a mono, tunnel, and hydros.

I was thinking about taking an electric hull and droping a nitro motor in it. For me its a toss up between a mono, or hydro.

Any tips, links to look at, info I should read?

I figured taking a light weight electirc hull and dropping a nitro in there should help. I plan on building my own boat from a plan, and making it work for my needs. I have a few years in r/c boating, cars, and a little bit of planes. My father was into planes hardcore, and we have a whole room at his house that is full of nothing but plane kits and planes that are ready to go. I however didn't get stuck in that and fell for the boats (my true love is the water). Never been to a race, and never seen a race boat upclose other than pictures on the web.

So what do you guys think? should I just start building something and see where it places me, or what should I do?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:39 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Wanting to get into racing...

Given the choice between a small mono or hydro, a mono will be easier to get running well.

Edit: oops, missed the "local" part! []
Old 08-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First, I'm glad to hear that you have a club that has an "A" class. IMPBA rules say that the limit for the "A" class in .129 cu.in. so I'd build one around that size engine. There usually isn't a big difference in HP and RPM between .12's and .15's anyway.
I would go with a mono also as they are a lot easier to build, set up and will run in rougher conditions than a hydro
I have 2 monos right now that were converted from electric hulls. It took some extra work to do but they turned out well. A third boat was made from a down-sized John Finch Wild Thing plan with a few mods. Check out the thread on that in this forum.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:38 PM
djyox

What would you guys recomend for running gear? I was thinking a Picco motor. Can I get that in a water cooled head?

I remember a few years back when I was thinking about building an electric mono seeing all kinds of running gear on some website... I for the life of me don't know where that is, and the computer I was using is long past gone, and so are all the book marks.

So I think I will be building a wood hull, and I will take your advice and go with a .12. Now its just left up to running gear and electronics...

Any more hull/plans I should look at? there was one I was thinking would be a good one, but the bookmark is at my home computer and I'm stuck at work on a sat! (eww)

Thanks again guys.

EDIT: The hull I was thinking of making is 'The Electrified', maybe streching it out if need be. Plans are on RCstore.com. I also did see the Wild Thing, but I was thinking of trying to get a small hull and jam in more power than its made for, rather than using a hull made for a bigger motor and putting a smaller one in. Am I wrong to think like this?

Any info would help me out, as before I really was just a sport user, not racing. Now that I want to get out as much speed and power to make up for my lack of driving skills that others have over me (I feel that I would do fine, but know that the other drivers would out drive me).
Old 08-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Ron Olson

If you want some nice hardware there is a Solinger strut/rudder combo on www.firefighterboats.com , otherwise use fast electric hardware that can handle 12 cells and up. www.finedesignrc.com has some good stuff.
I don't think that Picco has a water-cooled head for their small-block engines. I am running a Trinity/Picco/Nova Rossi in one of mine, long out of production.
I wish that there were more plans or even finished hulls for .12-.18 boats. Warehouse Hobbies had one briefly that had an offshore look to it, the Mini-Manta Ray that was inexpensive. I was also looking at the new Super-Vee 27 coming out from Aquacraft and thinking that its hardware might be nice for a small nitro mono.

I know what it's like, I work second shift and usually 7 days a week but I'm on vacation this week. I needed this week off BADLY!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:10 PM
djyox

What size drive should I be using with a .12? or would that be left up to what the cup size is on the motor? I would think I could change that size too, but would a smaller shaft be smoother or a bigger shaft?

I can follow plans to the T, but if its not writen down I most likely don't know about it.

Did you want to recomend a motor for me? or would a picco be a good choice? Also maybe an online dealer who sells them as well?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Ron Olson

The flex cable size will be 1/8" diameter but you can get either 1/8" or 3/16" stub shafts for the props. A lower powered engine won't turn a big prop. An O.S. .12 would be a good choice and has enough power to turn a larger prop. If you decide to go with a larger .15 or .18 later on, you're already set. Tower Hobbies carries them or if you have a hobby shop nearby, see what they have.
Keep in mind that you don't want a short shaft or SG style and a rotary carb is easier to set up.