Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

O.S. .21 XM flex shaft problems

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

O.S. .21 XM flex shaft problems

Old 08-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Matts maxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. .21 XM flex shaft problems

As some of you may know, I recently put the XM on my ts2. Today I brought it to our club "race" (not really a race) to start tunning it out. It ran so well until I threw the flex shaft. I don't really understand how this happened since I didn't hit any thing and the motor is so new... All i did was give it gas and it started revving and not moving.. At first we though i spun the prop but after pulling it out we found the end of the flex shaft shredded. A couple guys I run with said I should call up O.S. about this because it happened right after break in. What do you guys think and is this a normal break?
Keep in mind this motor has less than a gallon through it.

Thanks for you ongoing help,
Matt
Old 08-12-2006, 07:22 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: O.S. .21 XM flex shaft problems

Breaking shafts is part of outboard life. I always try to keep at least one spare. I have yet to break one on my OS, but the original one showed a bit of a kink fairly early on, so I replaced it. This second has yet to show any signs of fatigue, but I do have another new one just in case.

Some things to help ensure long life of a shaft.
1) Always remove it and lube at the end of the day. While it has been getting oil from the exhaust, it also gets wet.
2) Don't rev the engine up high right before launching. If you do this, when the prop hits the water, it places a huge stress on the shaft. Instead, just rev it a bit and wait until it's in the water to apply throttle. If it cavitates, back of the throttle a bit to let the prop bite.
3) You probably know this, but don't try turning the engine over by the prop.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Matts maxx

Ok, thanks Chuck. I knew most of those but #2 was one I dumbly didn't consider[:-]. I will order a few to have on hand.
Thanks for the help,
Matt
Old 08-13-2006, 07:50 AM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Matts maxx

Ok, thanks Chuck. I knew most of those but #2 was one I dumbly didn't consider[:-]. I will order a few to have on hand.
Thanks for the help,
Matt
i broke mine many times but i figure it up, coz sometimes engine started in reverse and that's the start of flexshaft kink....
when ordering don't forget to include extra flexshaft tubing coz sometimes when the flexshaft break it ate up the tubing..
Old 08-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Matts maxx

Well wave waker you figured it out, yes my engine did start in reverse once[:-], I even put it in the water. That has to be what did it. Thank for the help man,
Matt