Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

fuel proofing

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

fuel proofing

Old 08-18-2006, 10:44 PM
miss vegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel proofing

i have noticed while reading these threads that people are talking about putting a epoxy coating down on the hull. what is the reason for this. and could you give me a specific name brand to use and where to get it at. oh and also how do i go about applying it. do i have to pull everything out of the boat? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: fuel proofing

Where to put it depends on what boat you're discussing. On the Miss Vegas, there are wooden engine mounts and these appear to have places where the wood isn't sealed. These areas should get some epoxy. I've seen others suggest sealing the entire inside of the boat. I don't know if it's technically necessary, but I do know a smooth finish is easier to clean than rough. The amount of stuff you have to remove depends on how much you're going to seal.

There are several epoxy possibilities. For sealing, you can even buy one of the finishing eopxies from your local home improvement store. These are thinner than the adhesive type epoxy, so they'll be easier to apply. I usually use a disposable brush to apply epoxy. Something to remember is that epoxy adds weight. Don't get so carried away sealing that you end up with a boat in need of a diet!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:53 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

The main reason for using epoxy on a wood boat is to seal the wood before paint. I use West Systems epoxy only for sealing. Mix as per instructions, apply with a foam brush. After sitting for a hour or so, scrap off the excess. This can be done multiple ways - wet paper towel, old / fake CC card, squeege, etc. Main item is to get the excess off before harding. Once this is done and the epoxy cures, it's an easy sand job before applying primer/paint/clear coat..

Hope this helps...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck
Don't get so carried away sealing that you end up with a boat in need of a diet!
Chuck,

The boat that held the B Mod Tunnel SAW record for 10+ years was over 6lbs.. Most racers keep their B tunnels in the 4lb range.. Weight is not always a bad factor..
Old 08-18-2006, 11:23 PM
miss vegas

it is a miss vegas boat. do you have any specific names of epoxy or is there epoxy thats made just for fiber glass i am a total newb to the world of rc boating so if i seem dumb thats why. i go from playing paintball at a semi pro level to total newb in no time flat. had to give up paintball until next year do to a problem with one of my lungs. should be fine by the end of the year. i always wanted to get into rc stuff and boats were it because i live right next to a lake.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The hardware store epoxy will work like Dev-Con. A lot of hobby shops will sell a generic epoxy that will have the stores name on it. That stuff is OK but not great.
You can do it outside with this warm weather that we're having but it may set up faster so you want an at least 45 minute epoxy for more working time but I wouldn't go for the 24 hour stuff.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:18 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ob nut

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck
Don't get so carried away sealing that you end up with a boat in need of a diet!
Chuck,

The boat that held the B Mod Tunnel SAW record for 10+ years was over 6lbs.. Most racers keep their B tunnels in the 4lb range.. Weight is not always a bad factor..
I agree, weight is not always a bad thing, but it's also often not a good thing!
Old 08-19-2006, 04:47 PM
1outlaw

I got epoxy today and want to paint the inside of the hull at the same time.....Question i have is what kind of paint???....
Man this site is great lots of info....
Old 08-19-2006, 09:12 PM
misshydro

Hi, Use auto paint!! they hold up better and it's more durable.I use auto paints that you use a spray gun to paint with.Once you see a boat that was sprayed with a paint gun you'll never want to use a spray can ever again!! If you spray paint use Dupli-Color!!!there good auto touch up spray paint! After you put your gelcoat sand it with 120 or 180 grit sand paper then prime it good. You want to get two colors of primers! I would sudjest you first prime with gray after that you use red,but just spray sprinkel it/dye coat it! Buy doing this when you sand it,it will show you where the imperfection are at.If you see the redoxied primer in some area it's a low spot or you see any pin holes you can fix them with spot puddy.When you sand the primer use 400 to 600 wet sand paper and I'd would water sand it.It will be easer then dry sanding plus you save on sand paper too. I'd would base coat clear coat it.I'd would use 3 to 4 coats of clear. If you need anymore advice on painting I can help you out. Ive been painting real autos and boats for along time. Go look in rc boat general discussion to vspeer1 and our page nitro to sekwah275 and check out the advice I'd gave them. As for your sealing I'd would used por15 gas tank sealer it drys like glass and its a lot lighter then epoxie.This is what you use inside your boat. Out side use epoxie.I'd did two of my friends nitros boat and it's realy works well.But one small drawback its has a 72 hrs cure time,But it's worth it.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know about using Dupli-color. I painted a boat stand with it and the fuel quickly ate it off.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 PM
skymortar

for an epoxy i would use ppg dp system.you spray it so their wont be a big weight factor.the epoxy,i dont remember which is which but they come in a few colors,it will be like dp40lf.dp41lf and so on.lf stands for lead free.the catalyst is dp 401.you can buy them both buy the quart.mix only what you need because you only have about an hour pot life.if you dont have access to spray equipment you can use one of those baby bottlle aerosol deals.use a really good resperator because this is some real evil stuff.with the health issue you may want to consider someone else to spray it.but all in all this product is bulletproof.hope this helps
Old 08-19-2006, 11:40 PM
misshydro

Hi,I would agree with skymortar ppg is the winner.I'd used dp40 it's black epoxie primer/sealer.But if you dont want black they do make others color dp epoxie primer/sealers too. As for Mr Ron Olson, I'd said if you use any spray paints use Dupli-color auto touch up. And also said I'd spray my boats and others stuff with automotive paint that you use a spraygun on!!!!!!! I'd would strongly recondmend you to ask your local body shop what they would charge to paint it.I'd just done two off them and charged 30 dollars.Some shops are a little bit more look prob about under 50 dollars.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:01 AM
skymortar

i could be mistaken but i think mr. olson uses ppg clear
Old 08-20-2006, 12:19 AM
miss vegas

lets keep the ideas rolling. i can't say this enough you guys are like 1 big happy family here. this site rocks.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 AM
toyotatruckin

I used poly resin to smooth the inside of my hull and to add a little glass to a couple known problem spots Ive seen epoxy turn colors after a while nasty ugly color at that, as for painting a boat DuPont, PPG, etc. base clear. If you check around your local body shops for paint they have leftover from jobs or mixed wrong you just might get your base color free or at least real cheap they toss it out anyway..Just make sure you get the right additives for it at the store. As for painting the inside in my opinion its a waste of time and material only reason for it is to make it look different and a vegas has a cowl on it anyway..
Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 PM
misshydro

Well if your fuel is leaking in side your boat and you dont want it to leak out side the boat.Like I'd said before,Use por 15 its' a special paint that seals gas tanks for leaks.Its dries like glass and its lighter then epoxie reson and will resist gas.I'd did two nitro boats that had leaky tanks.It does work. check out you local autobody shop store and they should have it.If not heres their web sight.www.por15.com . The paints I use is cross fire paint system that NAPA store sells and it awsome. As for PPG I love the stuff but they dont carry it arwound here anymore and as for DU pont,Dont care for it.Back in the late 80s and early 90s dupont had a bad problems with their clears pealing badly and I dont care for Jeff Gorden either I'm not buying dupont to suppert him and the bad clear either.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:32 PM
miss vegas

Fans

Against

Gordon

that about sums it up in a nut shell[sm=punching.gif]
Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 PM
waterbug

West Systems recommends warming your boat up in the oven on its’ lowest setting before applying the sealing epoxy. This will do two things, make the epoxy flow better since it’s viscosity is reduced when it is warm, and the air in the pores contracts as it cools pulling in the epoxy. You want to just keep brushing it in the spots where the open grain is showing until everything is plugged up. A very slow setting epoxy is the best, I use West System finishing epoxy. You have over an hour window with it.

It is my opinion that if you want the hull sealed well so that it will not absorb water, that brushing is the only way to go. It will push the sealer down into the holes that you are trying to plug up and wipe of the excess on the high spots. Spraying does just the opposite, it keeps building up on the parts that are already sealed and tends to repel around the holes.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
misshydro

Watch it on using epoxy on the inside of your boat. I did that to my Miss Bud hydro and it make my boat to heavy!!! Thats why I'm getting another hull!! I'd brushed it and the hard to get places.I'd pored alittle in and swished around and pored the rest out.These boat are supposed to way less then 4 1/2 pounds! Miss Vegs is 4.6 pounds. I'd wade my boat after that and it wade 5 3/4 pounds. Thats why I'd recondmend Por15 it's like paint and lighter then epoxy. You'll be sorry when you epoxy the hole inside you boat.It's going to way like the titanic. Oh did I struck a nerve about Gordon! He to cocky and to ergant and he better watch him self,there two drivers are going to kiss his butt!.I'm a Richard Petty fan, The real king of NASCAR.I root for any Dodge's that cross the finish line first![:'(]
Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 PM
miss vegas

no i hate gordon(jeff)to. i route for robbie gordon. i know people probably think he sucks but i heard him on the scanner and he has a mouth like a truck driver. his radio frequency should be rated R for foul language.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:08 AM
waterbug

Excess sealer is heavy, but the fuel and water that an unsealed hull will absorb adds mass as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:36 PM
misshydro

Yes, but you dont want a heavy turd eather and a heavy turd can harm your motor over work it=blowing it up or shorting the motor life. I'd done two deep v that had fuel prob and I'd used por15 it works and it didnt hardly add much at all on the wait eather. like epoxy will make your boat realy heavy.I'd leard the hard way on this and now I'd got another hull because I'd put reson on the inside of my boat. Like I'd said before the Miss Vagas should way 4.6 pounds that what I'd saw on this on the web about hydro boats.[8D]
Old 08-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You guys are all missing the point on sealing a boat. Misshydro, you have added over a pound of epoxy!!!!!!!!!! That's more than all the epoxy I used for building and sealing in my 1/8th scale hydro I'm scratch building. Sealing has to be done with care, not to mention caution. Too much epoxy and your boat is garbage, as you have discovered. I think your pouring in epoxy was a lesson in what not to do. As far as paint goes, either use a fuel proof paint or a color coat/clear coat type of system. Most of the boat builders I know use PPG an/or Imron paints and clears quite successfully. I wouldn't use any spray can paints that don't say "FUEL PROOF"
Old 08-27-2006, 09:53 PM
skymortar

acrylic urethane.done deal
Old 08-27-2006, 10:30 PM
misshydro

I'd brushed it and the hard places I'd poored and swished it around and poored the extra out of the boat!! I'd never say spray paint the in side of the boat! Get glass and read more carefuly in what I'd wrote. Por15 is a special tank sealer paint,That come in a quart can!! you can brush it or poor it in and swish it around and poor the rest back in the can or you can use a spray gun to do it![8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.