Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Budweiser Q & A

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Budweiser Q & A

Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Miss Budweiser Q & A

Ok here is the story i have a miss budweiser that my wife bought me well over a year ago it has bein sitting in its box brand new since then ive taken it out a few times to look at it and notice all the lil details and since i have no where that i could show it off i always put in back in the box and leave it there in my closet i have tho old style shaft drive one (was this one better than the flex shaft or are they pretty much the same thing???) i know a great deal about tuneing engine and working with nitro so i know the in's and out's of things but ive never gone on water (as u can see from my signature i have a few onroads/offroads) so i still have a few questions since im steping into someting new

1) I have to break in the engine i wan't to take the engine out of the boat and run at least 4 or 5 tank thru it so i dont have an insue with the engine flaiming out in mid water (i have raft just in case) ive heard about alotof people cracking there hauls when first staring there boats since the pinch is so tight is this true?? do you recomend takeing the engine out to break it in???

2) I looked at the servos and saw they are some JR regular ones i em goin to put a high torque one in later in life but i wanted to know can this servo actually handle the boat or should i rip it out and get another on before dropping it the water???? id like to get tha hange of driveing it before dropping cash into it u think the stock will hold up for now?? also what do u recomend when i change servos???

3) When i took it out of the box today i decided to test out the radio,reciver, and servos i had never even put battery's in it!!!! when i was playing with the servos i noticed that the throutle servo when u go and move it towars the close carb posion in moves upward and when i stuck my fingure in to see i notice the servo is only bein held by one side??? is this normal???( see pic's and notice how the servo lifts)

4) HOW THEY HELL DO YOU TAKE THE SERVOS OUT??!?!?! I SEE GLUE IN THERE!!!! WHATS GOIN ON HERE LOL

5) After i get the hang of driveing the boat i wanna OFCOURSE get a better engine i was looking at the OS .18 CV-RM you think that will be my best bet???? id luv to use the TZ instead but they dont make a marine version for it!!!!!!

6) Should i leave the stock PROP for now?? or should i change it right out of the box??? that plastic doesnt look to sturdy???

7) When i tested the rudder servo i saw its on there pretty good with no movement but when i turn the rudder to the right the huld buldges up about a 1MM or 2MM is this normal???(i didn't take a pic of that)

8) I bought a set of hex tools so i can take the engine out since the L shaped hexs wouldnt work (at least the ones i have) i bought some brand there and can u belive they dont work??? would it have someting to do with the ones i got are balled shapped at the end??? what do u use???

For now it is competly stock the only thing i added was a OFNA fail safe ( i set it so if goes out of range or someting the engine will cut off) any suggestions what so i will gladly take with gratutude!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! i know i asked alot of question if u dont feel like answering everything but if u can answer 1 or 2 id still love to here your answers!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46064.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	513230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66301.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	513231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17004.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	513232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16550.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	513233  
Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Miss Budweiser Q & A EVERYONE PLEASE READ

We've got a huge thread in here in the Miss Bud/LLumar/Elam boats so you might want to look it up.
1) It's a water-cooled engine and it's best if you do the break-in on the water.
2) The standard servo will do, it's the linkage that is weak.
3) It will work, it's a cheap way of hooking up the linkage.
4)Remove the 4 screws holding it in. I'm assuming that it may be stuck in place with something to keep it from sliding out of its spot.
5)The TZ could be used with a little work. Open up the scoop by removing the plastic insert. You may have to remove part of the heat sink head to get it to fit under the cowling.
6) You can use the supplied prop but plan on getting a replacement soon.
7) You must be overthrowing the steering if the hull is warping. It's a thin hull anyway but it shouldn't be doing that unless it's moving too far or something is hanging up on the rudder.
8) Finally! I don't know what you did.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 PM
ob nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to check out one of the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2799689/tm.htm]Ms Budweiser [/link] links for answers..
Old 08-26-2006, 12:00 AM
MiamizFinest

Thanks for the link to the forum i had read it before but could not find it!!!! thanks!!! also i em goin to break in the engine out of the boat and out of the water i already made a lil ridge so the engine will still be have water flowing threw the head i forgot to mention that!! lol u sayed to expect to change the prop soon any suggestions???

PS i did remove the 4 screws............ and nothing happen!!!!!!!!!!! i think the servo is just glued to the hull have u ever heard of this???
Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Ron Olson

I never got that far into a Miss Bud but have worked on a couple of them. One where the owner couldn't get the carb to work. He somehow got the idle speed screw through the barrel of the carb and wondered why it wasn't working. The other was a new local boater who wanted a hand in getting his going for the first time.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 AM
misshydro

Hi,I have a Miss Bud hydro and I'd got another one on it's way. Your servos are heat glued in.Just take small screwdriver and carefuly pry the bottom of your servos,it should pop out. As for your wrences get the flat head ones. I'd bench broke mine in but I was told by the guys here not to do it.just run your boat and tune it at the pond.By doing this ,this way will put drag on your motor and you can tune it in better with water drag. As for your cooling,Like Ron Olson said remove the plastic tinted cover off your cowl it will provied you more air flow. I did that plus I'd customized my like the last gen Bud hydro.My scoop is longer and it's goes over the cockpit like the last miss bud.This realy provieds more super air flow. As for your props I was told by the guys here run brass props.Plastic props flexs and were out and break too.Heres some props you might check on. x440 x440/3,x1440,m440. The x440/3 is a good prop to start with or the m440. When you see a three by the prop number,It means three blades.[8D]
Old 08-26-2006, 08:20 AM
MiamizFinest

OHHHH!!! i was thinking about breaking it in at home so it wouldnt flame out in mid water..............still a bad idea???i was planning on tuneing it on the water also what kinda of heat glue is it??? ive only seen the clear one and the yellow one but this one is white??? what is it called??? can i use any others???? what do u sujest i do about the hull flexing??? if there anyway to make it stiffer???
Old 08-26-2006, 08:38 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please break it in on the water. Use the heat cycling method. There is a nice thread about it in the car engine forum, read what Fuelman has posted if you haven't already. This method works for ANY ABC engine.

As far as putting the TZ in, I would do it. Most car and plane engines receive very little air flow and require very little airflow, whether they are burried in a cowl or body.

If you do decide to switch props I would go with a 2 bladed prop for more top end speed IMO. It is a hydro!

Ryan
Old 08-26-2006, 09:57 AM
misshydro

If you put another set of servos use a dab of clear silicine it will work plus you have the wood holding it down to.The servos that are in your boat are strong.My fist bud boat I'd bought used and got burnt on that deal.So I have a speed storm hydro thats look just like the bud boat and its red.I'd converted it over to nitro witha .21Leo.I'd took all the part from the bud boat and put it in the speed storm and the servos too.They are strong and I had to make a new linkage for the throtel to.I'd used a peace of lawn mower throtel cabel for it and it's stronger too.I've got a friend who has a small pond,prefict to do test in.That way I dont have far to swim plus they got a small boat I can use too. When you get this boat running You might consiter in getting .18 motor.alot of guys are putting in their bud boats.Stay away fron the infinity motor their not that great to me. I'm getting the Chang Yang VX-18 it has 4000-40.000 rpms.Thats more then the OS and the Team Infinity motor to. You can find them at ebay store new for 65 dollars thats includes shipping too.[8D]
Old 08-26-2006, 11:19 AM
MiamizFinest

65 BUCKS HOLY CRAP THATS CHEAP!!!! lol ill look at it and see if i like it ok im goin to break in the engine in the water my friend has a HUGE LAKE IN HIS BACK YARD and he has a jet ski so if it flames out recovery will be more fun than actually driveing miss bud LOL ok if i mount the TZ in how would i do it?? it is a rear exuaste engine what header would i use??? is this even a good idea?? its not to much power for the lil bud??? how about a .21 has anyone put that in the miss bud??? and experance any one could share with that???
Old 08-26-2006, 12:04 PM
MiamizFinest

i looked at the 65 dollar engine and it looks kinda cheapo if it perforums as it says it does its not a bad deal even if it lasts 2 or 3 gallons for the price its not bad but do u you think those specs are true u cant always belive what you read has any one ever used it or is there any articals on it???? i dout it since china made anyone got any info on it???
Old 08-26-2006, 02:18 PM
misshydro

Their are some guys here are running it havent heard any bad reports on it. It look like that because it dont have any crome or red or blue heads on it. When I get my second Miss BudWiser this week I'm going to sometime up a .21 in it. I do have a .21 Leo that has 3000-30.000 rpms and it's a screamer!! But I'm getting Leo .21-ZP it has 2.3 hp and 4000 to 40.000 rpm!! You can check their web at www.leoengines.com idam#7220m-21-ZP it's 60 dollars that shipping included too!! Oh they do have small blocks check them out too and see what they have![8D]
Old 08-26-2006, 07:34 PM
ryan_t888

I would not trust that 65 dollar engine. My 7.5cc OB says 3000-25 000RPM and I am not even getting 20 000RPM from it. You will be lucky, in most cases, if you are able to reach the RPM where the engine makes maximum horsepower. My point is hp figures mean very little and same with RPM ranges.

Also at 40 000 RPM and only 1.8hp or w/e, you are going to have to spin a tiny prop. This may not be the ideal solution for this boat. I would look into something like this:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP7&P=ML

It may be more money but it is well worth it and this engine is well know for it's quality. Also a truck load of torque.

Have fun and keep it real.

Ryan
Old 08-26-2006, 09:50 PM
misshydro

I hate to tell you this, theres two of you guy and I have a friend who has that motor.It's kick ass!!!!! Plus small block and the .21-28 will have the high rpms!! your 7.5 wont have that. It's like a real car motor. let's take a example Small block chevys if built right has a red line of 9000-10.000 rpms.Big block like 427-454 rpms is 6500-7500rpms. it's the same with these boat motors Small blocks can take the high rpms and big blocks can't!!!! Small block are built for high rpms and big blocks are built for big tork!! Some of use dont have money to burn like you guys have!! It's like you guys buy the Cadillac when you can get a chevy cairpriece.They both have the same options but the one is cheaper then the other one .your paying for the name!Snap-on-tools when you can get Maco tools.Both do the same things but your paying for the name. What wrong with the jap-china-tyawan motors?! These guy developed the two stroke motors before us.So they should know there ****!![:'(]
Old 08-26-2006, 10:22 PM
ryan_t888

You completely missed the point here, I simply compared specs with actual output of the SAME engine. I did not compare any two engines with each other. I simply stated most engines will not reach the specified RPM range and horsepower figures are not at a general standard.

Also boat engines (.15-.45 small to big block) rev at about the same RPM's, most commonly around 25 000RPM. This gives you the torque need to spin a prop. Where as most car engines spin over 27 000RPM because they go through gearing to multiply torque. It is very easy to make any single cylinder engine rev to the moon but there are also preferences depending on what is needed. You can't compare car engines to boat engines in that respect.

Here is an example of a .15 small block boat engine for claimed RPM ranges
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBY88&P=7
and .46
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBY94&P=0

Ryan
Old 08-27-2006, 03:08 AM
toxic 2U

I've found the brass/copper Octura Y-535 prop to be the best prop you can use for the stock Dynamite motor.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:23 AM
misshydro

The heck you can!!! All motor have the same princible to model car,boat, planes to REAL CARS,BOATS,PLANES!!! SMALL BLOCKS can take/made for high RPMs BIG BLOCKS are make for low end tork/hp!!![:'(] As for tower hobbie on the motor specks they couldnt give motor specks on 3/4 of the motor they have listed!!=because they dont know form their hole from their A[:'(]S! And most common rpm is 28.000 but on .21-.28 thier 30.000 to 42.000 rpms with good hp!![:'(]. On .32 and bigger you wont get the high rpms but low end tork.The only way you can get a big block to go fast is to put a gear box to it.[8D]
Old 08-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Ron Olson

Misshydro, the problem with HP and RPM numbers is coming from the manufacturers, not the distributors. They were fudging the numbers asx there are too many engines being made for the car-truck segment of the hobby/sport. It seemed that they were all trying to one-up the others. Traxxas was advertising that their engines could crank out 50,000 RPM. Yeah, right......... . This is why you now see "Claimed" HP and RPM in ads as even the magazines got tired of all of the outrageous claims.
The problem is that they aren't telling how they achieved those numbers, what pipe, fuel and dyno was used to get their results. All of those things can greatly affect what they got out of any engine. OS is one of the few that have real world numbers.
The same thing holds true with RTR boat speed claims. If Theoretical Boats says that their does 35 MPH out of the box yet nobody can get more than 26, wouldn't you like to know how they got their 35 out of it or are they blowing smoke?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 AM
engine geek

ORIGINAL: misshydro

The heck you can!!! All motor have the same princible to model car,boat, planes to REAL CARS,BOATS,PLANES!!! SMALL BLOCKS can take/made for high RPMs BIG BLOCKS are make for low end tork/hp!!![:'(] As for tower hobbie on the motor specks they couldnt give motor specks on 3/4 of the motor they have listed!!=because they dont know form their hole from their A[:'(]S! And most common rpm is 28.000 but on .21-.28 thier 30.000 to 42.000 rpms with good hp!![:'(]. On .32 and bigger you wont get the high rpms but low end tork.The only way you can get a big block to go fast is to put a gear box to it.[8D]
Just for the record I have been building V8's for the past 41 years now. You can not compare V8's with any single cylinder engine. It is possible to get any single cylinder engine to rev high. Just as ryan stated you can not compare nitro boat engines with nitro car engines because they were designed for 2 completely different purposes.

Here, I will post 2 comparisons with bigger and smaller block engines. These will both be standard sport engines.
This one is a comparison for boat engines:
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBY94&P=7].46 larger block engine[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBY98&P=ML].21 smaller block engine[/link]

Car engine comparison:
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBZ15&P=ML].12 small block[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLU03&P=ML].21 big block[/link]

In both cases the larger of the two engines spin MORE RPM. Both engines were os and just standard sport engines.

I also do not believe the $65 engine would spin even 30 000RPM with a prop. These numbers are most likely just advertisement specs and do not relate to actual output.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 PM
misshydro

Hay I didnt compare car and boats motor!!! I'd compared the Rc motor to a real car and boat motors If you'd would read my statement right!! And If you been building real car motor for 41 years as you say!!!! They have the same princable as real car and boats do!!! Small block can take a higher rpm and build more energy.Big block are more for big hp and low end tork! Why do you think NASCAR are running small blocks and not big blocks!! The red line on a small blocks are alot more higher then a big blocks. Small blocks have a shorter stroke,Thats why they can take higher rpms.Big blocks have a long stroke thats why they cant rev that high! As for what you posted You posted the wrong motor DuHHHH!! You were comparing a .21 out board to a big block in board!!Get the right .21 inboard This is the OS.21 practical rpm 3000-40.000 Power output [email protected] That a heck of lot more then the .46OS you'd posted!!!! A super Tiger pro .21 puts out 3500-38.000hp3.4 And the Nova Rossie sts.28 4000-42.000 hp3.8 !!These are small blocks boat motors!!That more power the the 4.6 big blocks!![:'(]
Old 08-27-2006, 02:06 PM
1outlaw

Miss Hydro you are wrong in your thinking comparing big blocks and small blocks.
We can build motors to do whatever we want them to do irregardless of what you think....You can stroke anything, you can make compression what ever you want.....The list goes on and on.....I own a automotive repair business and have been working on cars my whole life.....Believe me i know what im talking about.....I have seen big blocks turn some seriouse RPM.

Just to take the theory alittle further..My expensive hobby is bass fishing and true high performance boats.
You can buy Merc 225 EFI which hits the limiter at about 6200 RPM or you can buy a 225 Promax and the limiter is close to 8000 and it makes peak power at those high RPM bands.
Merc just released the new Big block 300XS do you know how they got it to 300???...They stroked a 250XS...Its all about what you want and make it that way.....

Oh yeah Nascar doesnt use big blocks for weight and size reasons....Has nothing to do with torque or H.P......
Old 08-27-2006, 02:07 PM
engine geek

Dude, How old are you? ([:'(][:'(][:'(]) - ????? torque is not spelled tork

First off this is not even ryan's point here. I am not going to discuss this matter as you CAN NOT compare single cylinder two stroke engines to any V-8.

Let's bring it back to his original point.
I would not trust that 65 dollar engine. My 7.5cc OB says 3000-25 000RPM and I am not even getting 20 000RPM from it. You will be lucky, in most cases, if you are able to reach the RPM where the engine makes maximum horsepower. My point is hp figures mean very little and same with RPM ranges.

Also at 40 000 RPM and only 1.8hp or w/e, you are going to have to spin a tiny prop. This may not be the ideal solution for this boat. I would look into something like this:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP7&P=ML

It may be more money but it is well worth it and this engine is well know for it's quality. Also a truck load of torque.

Have fun and keep it real.

Ryan
Read this a LOT more carefully. I don't even understand how you brought Big/Small block engines in to this.

Little Correction

A super Tiger pro .21 puts out 3500-38.000hp3.4 And the Nova Rossie sts.28 4000-42.000 hp3.8 !!These are Big Block Car engines!! That more power the the .46 big blocks!!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Ron Olson

Ok, any more and I'll toss the whole thread.
NASCAR used to run up to 427 cu.in. engines but don't any more mostly because people can't buy them for their own cars. Thanks to high gas prices and what was at that time the end of the muscle-car era the big-blocks from manufacturers were almost non-existant. You can't sell on Monday what they racedc on Sunday, no more 426 Hemi's, 426 SOHC's or 427 Chevy's.
Yes, I used to fish bass tournies myself every Saturday morning. That kind of looks like a Gambler boat.
Niitro is a slow-burning fuel as fuels go so it is more efficient in smaller engines, this is why a .21 can at times make more power per cubic inch than it's bigger brother.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:53 PM
1outlaw

Sorry Ron.....I was talkin todays Nascar....Could you imagine a Bigblock Hemi in todays race cars??....LOL...Just couldnt see it besides its completely not neccesary with the power there puttin out....Them boys think there pushin in the corners now wait till they stick a big block in that baby...lol

And yes its a Gambler.....Mildly modded 2.5 EFI merc...

Check this out for alittle fun....These are some friends runnin.....The blue and yellow Stroker is a 100% Kevlar boat.....Boat runs consistent 106-107 with 2 people aboard ready to fish...[8D]
I have been in the boat at 104....Nice ride for sure.... http://home.comcast.net/~corywurst/jasper05.wmv

Ron i wasnt comparing Nitro motors at all JFYI i dont know enough about them to go that way.
I was only stating about the Big block small block theory in todays automobiles......We can build anything we want and make it produce it with the right know how and equipment..
Old 08-27-2006, 04:07 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

never mind

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.