Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

What is a good starter boat a CAt or Deep Vee???

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

What is a good starter boat a CAt or Deep Vee???

Old 08-27-2006, 08:27 PM
bowhuntre74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good starter boat a CAt or Deep Vee???

What type of boat would be a good starter both handleing and speed wise a Cat (which i perfer) or a Deep Vee? And any brand or types that would be better than another? a RTR would be a great way as well.. Thank guys
Old 08-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: What is a good starter boat a CAt or Deep Vee???

If you prefer a Cat over a mono, go for it! You are the one who has to be happy with what you buy as there is no use in buying a boat that you really didn't want.
Now for the other questions to help you pick one out.
What size are you looking for?
What price range would you like to stay within?
Strike the last one as if you have a wife, we don't tell them how much we spend anyway!
Is the boat for messing around or racing?

In the RTR category you might want to look at the Thunder-Cat 31 from Horizon/ProBoat. We've got a huge thread in here on it to give you the pro's and con's of it.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:18 PM
bowhuntre74

price range the thundercat fits nicely.. just wondering if it'll handle a rough chop on the water or not and if so what would be about max chop for it? tell my wife they just give them out free for everything so never know hows much or less i spend drives her nuts.. Also is there a larger cat on the market that runs good that bout $ 500?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Ron Olson

Shop around on eBay, there is one seller than includes a nic accessory kit that goes along with it for the same price as what other dealers sell for the same price as the kit alone.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Raylon

I have the TC31 and it can handle a good amount of chop. I've flipped it twice now, and it holds up well to them. The only two times it has flipped so far are with an aftermarket prop and not the stock. Stock it is an awesome handling boat and will probably fit your needs well. Even though it will probably make you go blind, read the entire thread. Take some nots also on a scratch peice of paper while you are going through. I wish I had done that when I read through it. I couldn't remeber stuff that I had read 20 pages earlier. Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 PM
bowhuntre74

is there one have to have hop up or upgrade for the thundercat to make it very reilable? is there a fairly minimal cost to make it race ready? or is it more of a fun cruise boat?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
misshydro

Hi,Take Ron's advice,go for the cat!! Go on Ebay!!You'll find alot of them!! I'd find what I'd need there too!Plus I'm a Ebay junkie too.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Ron Olson

Number one is to replace the stock flex cable with one from another manufacturer as that is the most complained about piece.
What we have to look at is that there is no perfect RTR boat as they all seem to have flaws or things that people would have done differently if they had designed them. Most of the flaws are cheap fixes. If we compare boats to the 4-wheelers, we're actually not doing too bad when you consider that I've seen aftermarket parts out before the cars or trucks themselves have hit the shelves. I used to race R/C trucks and parts would break right away yet no one seemed to gripe much, they'd just go buy the titanium part to replace the cheap steel piece. You get what you pay for and manufacturers of RTR boats are trying to keep the street prices low so they have to cut some corners.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:24 PM
kuperman

I purchased a Thundercat about a month ago. I had no problems out of the box. This past weekend was my first problem, which can happen with any boat, I hit something in the water and broke the rudder off. Got a new one and attempted to put it on today, only to find that when it broke off, it must have damaged the rudder arm, the set screw will not hold the rudder in place. So I ordered one today three dollars. Also I bought mine from ebay, got the nitro starter kit and a small bottle of fuel, everything u need to get started for the same price as anywhere. 350.00
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 PM
kuperman

oops I forgot I did have a problem with the hatch. The plastic tabs on the front broke off. To fix this problem, I screwed some body post to the boat itself and drilled two holes just big enough for the body post in the hatch. Now it works just like an r/c truck u put the hatch on then place a pin through the holes in the post, works great.