Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Your help/advice needed...inherited boat.

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Your help/advice needed...inherited boat.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 AM
61 Bubbletop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your help/advice needed...inherited boat.

Hi guys,

My name is Jeff, and I live in Oxford, MI. I am looking for some help. While I have quite a bit of experience with nitro trucks and electric cars, I am a boating novice, I inherited my fathers 1/8 Dumas Miller American. He had completed about 80% of it before he passed away, I want to finish it for myself and my son to enjoy now. No racing, just blasting around my pond out back. The boat is painted, he was in the process of wet sanding it. I also have a .67 K&B inboard..Radio, high torque servo etc.. he has everything trial fit, holes drilled etc.... I have pretty much figured out where everything goes, I ordered new instructions from Dumas, as I couldn't find them. The main questions I have are:

(BTW, I have read all of the Dumas threads I could find....)

1. The fuel tank appears to be a sullivan slant tank rigidly mounted under the cockpit forward of the engine, there really is no option to move things so I am stuck with what I have. That being said, There is the pressure line and the feed line to the carb...The "cockpit" on top of the tank is solid, and the cap where the lines run through is not very accessible and I am wondering about filling the fuel tank, do you fill through the pressure line? I would think it would just push out the other line into the carb. Like I said, I am green to boats, but not to nitro engines and I am kind of baffled on this one. I am sure it is simple, (believe me, I feel like an idiot asking this one) and someone will point out the obvious...but I can't see it!

2. Does anyone have a picture of the turn fin mounted on a Dumas hydro, the one from thier hardware kit? It appears to slant back under the boat, I just am having trouble figuring out which brackets mount it.

3. The canopy basically sits on top of the boat....I cannot see any mounting points, these may shown in the instructions when I get them, but I cannot see how I can mount it cleanly? Any suggestions or pictures would be great.

4. The only hardware I appear to need for the running gear is a tuned pipe. Any suggestions for a k&b .67? I assume the end of the pipe should be at a minimum flush with the "turbine pipe" at the exit, the header off of the motor is only about 1.5" long....there is a fair amount of real estate to cover from the exhaust exit to the rear of the boat. I can't have 4" of coupler hose, ao I am assuming there are longer header pipes available for this engine?

5. If anyone has any pictures of a completed Dumas 1/8 Miller\Circus Circus boat, I would be very grateful for some detailed pictures...you can e-mail them direct if you don't want to have the hassle of posting.

6. My 5 year old and I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.[sm=regular_smile.gif]

Jeff

EDIT: I will get of pictures of the boat tonight and post them..maybe it will be helpful.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:11 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Your help/advice needed...inherited boat.

pics of the boat would be nice jeff... i have a 49.5 inch dumas dauntless. i believe we run the same hardware for it. yes the canopy/s do sit there. other then that i cannot say anymore about it , but it sure is a nice boat.

btw do a google search on images for your boat... type in dumas then the name of your boat.. you'll get some pics that way.... i did and i have finished pics of the dauntless...
Old 08-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

How far along is this boat? I have some questions about what he did under the deck.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, I will attempt to get through this before my two fingers fall off.

The tank with the two lines has been set up to use pressure from the tuned pipe. A fitting is typically inserted at the "wide" point of the pipe. That is where the divergent and convergent cones meet. You typically fill the tank through the line that goes to the carb since it goes to the bottom of the tank. The pressure line should just penetrate the top of the tank. If you were to fill through thr pressure line, the fuel would immediately come out of the feed line to the carburetor.

Tuned Pipe - There are many choices but for your purposes a muffled tuned pipe sized for the .67 from Macs Products will suffice. When you visit the site, all will become clear. The pipe length is established by setting a distance from the engine center (typically the glow plug) to the high point of the pipe ( Approximately 12"). If that results in the pipe sticking out the turbine pipe, then so be it. I would not recommend using a jumper tube from the engine header to the pipe. The jumper is not going to resist the exhaust heat and will blow out. Ideally the pipe should slide over the end of the header and that junction is sealed with an outer silicone tube.

The turn fin will mount to the "transom" of the right sponson and yes it does lean inboard and also to the rear to some extent. That is a feature that will require some trimming to get the boat to ride correctly and turn. By the way. The boat is designed to turn right. Left turns will be difficult and may result in putting the boat on it's back.

This "pond" you refer to, I hope it is at least 500 feet long and 100 feet wide. A good running hydro will eat up realestate very fast.

The canopy should be attached in the manner of your choosing otherwise it will blow off. And for those unplanned events, be sure the canopy floats. Some added foam flotation is recommended such as pool noodles.

Pictures I will have to leave to someone else.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:23 PM
61 Bubbletop

Wow Guys what a great site!,

That is some excellent information!....Thanks! I appreciate the trauma your 2 fingers went through!..

Nitro, I have googled, yahoo'd, MSN searched etc...I really was looking for a shot of the turn fin mounted, got several pretty low quality ones of the boat..and Dumas' website really sucks when it comes to detail shots of thier finished products.

John,

Ahh, The CARB line feeds the tank...understood...I knew it would be obvious!..

Thanks for the reference to MAC products, I will check them out., and thanks for the info on the turn fin. If a typical tuned pipe is about 12", it most likely won't reach the end of the "turbine tube" if installed right on the header of my motor....I can't imagine that would be a problem if it were a few inches short?

HJ, I will get some pictures for you..but basically, the boat itself is pretty much done. I have read many of your posts referring to the less than stellar materials used in the Dumas kit...It is possible he changed some things, but I doubt it....He was a very accomplished wood worker, with a full shop etc...mosty decoys and that sort of thing...It appears to be very well constructed at least to my eyes...but you are correct that it is definitely heavy. I will get some pics and show you where it is at....all of the hardware has been pre-mounted/installed before paint..so all really all I need to do is finish wetsanding the paint, clear it, apply decals and assemble it. Speaking of which, is normal laquer or enamel clear acceptable for the hull? or is there a better water resistant product that is preferred out there?

I am still scratching my head in regards to mounting the canopy...is there a preferred method, thumbscrews etc...that still looks good?

Thanks again,

J.T.

P.S. Yes, the pond is just about 100" across and quite long...perfect for high speed blasts...I'm sure the neighbors won't mind

UPDATE: I did find this good picture of the turn fin on a Circus Circus (same boat different cowl), This is exactly what I have (except mine is on the other side)...My question is, there is only one mounting screw at the forward position shown here and my fin only has this one mounting hole...does the fin actually pivot? os should it be rigid mounted? Possible the shape of the fin butts it up against the mounting bracket eliminating up down movement?

Again, thanks for your patience.....
Old 08-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fingers are better now so in response to your question about clear coat, no, lacquer is not a good choice. The nitro fuel will turn it soft and sticky. The same is true of the enamel. Most of us use an automotive clear coat. It will withstand the rigors of nitro based fuel. Unless you have the right equipment including a good respirator, it's best done by your friendly auto body shop. Imron Clear is supposed to be bullet proof. My scale hydro is cleared with Sikkins as is my small mono hull. Clear Epoxy paint will also work but the problem is, over time it yellows. You don't need that on your white and red trim.

As for the turn fin. Typically there is one "pivot bolt" and one "sheer bolt". The two hold the fin in place but if you hit something the sheer bolt fails allowing the fin to pivot up around the pivot bolt thereby preventing the removal of the right sponson transom.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The fin AND RUDDER should pivot so that it won't rip off if you hit a stick or ??????
Have you thought about cabinet latches? What many racers do is put some locator pins at one end of the cowl and the two roller cabinet latches at the other.
A good color coat/clear coat is usually best. Most of the guys I know use PPG or Imron automotive paints with clear over the top. Be sure to seal the hull before you paint it, if it doesn't have paint on it already

Gee John, I guess we were answering at the exact same time You just hit "post" before I did