Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

need help for first RC boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

need help for first RC boat

Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
thelocksmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help for first RC boat

Well i decided I want a RC boat I want a nitro or gas manly becouse they are faster and sound much cooler. But I do not know which one to get I orginally was going to go with the Dolphin RTR it said it could reach 60+MPH but due to some reviews on here about how bad it really is then I better not but I do want alot of speed for little cost "who doesnt I know" I have 3 very nice places in my area to use it with little to no wake. Their is a boat club in my area but I havently really talked to them cuase seeing their boats on the water was insane so they would probably just laugh. So what is a good starter boat I by no means want to compete manly take it with when we go boating and to party cove.

my concern is that I have never owned anything Nitro had many electric cars modified most of them but I want to go nitro for the boat. I have looked at the miss bud also but they seem to make alot of different versions of it.
So all in all I want a RTR fastest I can get for under $400 give or take.
any ideas
Thanks in Advance
TLS

Side question: If I get a nitro since winter is comming soon I planned on buying it in the winter time can I do the break in out of water? or will it over heat the engine? Also could I race it in very cold water? no ice but just super cold?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:51 PM
2916jr

Default RE: need help for first RC boat

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMUN8**&P=0
here is a good one
Old 09-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That one would be a good choice or the Proboat Thunder-Cat. The winter months will give you plenty of time to get either one tweaked for when the ice melts.
I know the feeling living here in the Great White North of having a new boat ready to go and waiting for the ponds and lakes to thaw.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:04 PM
misshydro

If you want a fast boat?Get a Miss Vegas hydro boat!!! Or any boat that has a .21 motor in it/their fast and strong motors. Oh I'd forgot there some guys here are putting .21s in the vegas hydro boats!!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
thelocksmith

sounds like that is the one to go with, their is also a huge section on modding it so I cant w8 I will order it soon, but is their a place to order it with a .21 motor? also might sound dumb but can u put an airplane motor in it? I can get my hands on some nice OS airplane motors if I want them "my Uncle used to fly and quit"
Thanks for all the help
Locksmith
Old 09-04-2006, 07:30 PM
iowapiper_rcp

you can put a 21 in it, but they dont come with them. It does take abit of modification also which might not be for a beginner. There are people on this forum getting lower to mid 40's out of there boats with the 18 motor that comes in it, you just need to spend time getting a good setup on the boat. Its all about practice practice practice. Get to the pond and run as much as you can. Learn the boat, adn you will be very happy. The miss vegas is a great boat form what I have read, and I myself just ordered one on friday. We will see how it goes when it arrives
Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM
thelocksmith

K i will stick with the .18 for now I would just like to due any mods im going to do with it during the winter give me something to due ya know. I will keep reading the major section for this boat and see if i can get better pipes or heads for it what not cause I wanna go nuts in the water when I get it done w00t can't waint.
TLS
Old 09-04-2006, 07:57 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: thelocksmith

sounds like that is the one to go with, their is also a huge section on modding it so I cant w8 I will order it soon, but is their a place to order it with a .21 motor? also might sound dumb but can u put an airplane motor in it? I can get my hands on some nice OS airplane motors if I want them "my Uncle used to fly and quit"
Thanks for all the help
Locksmith
There are few airplane engines that would be a good match for a hydro. Most of the plane engines your uncle probably has are most likely designed to run in the 12-15k RPM range. To get speed, the boat engines typically are happy in the 20k+ range. Trying to run the typical sport airplane engine at those RPMs is going to destroy them very quickly. To help put it in perspective, one of my early OS engines was a .25 FSR. I bought it in the early 80s. At the time, this was a pretty good engine. In fact, even when I flew it 2 years ago, it still ran great. According to the factory specs, it put out .5 HP. Compare this to a reasonably priced .18 such as the CVR-M which is spec'd at 1.35 HP.

Oh, one more thing. Have your uncle check his engines against this list: http://www.osengines.com/history/engines-wanted.html
If he's got one or more on the list, see if he can trade for any boat engines for you. I asked them if they'd take the .25 FSR, a .25F ABC, and a .28F-H in trade for a .21 outboard. Imagine my surprise when they said YES! That's a brand new $300 engine for 3 used ones that I probably couldn't have got $100 for if I sold them on eBay. The strategy is to see what you've got, figure out the value, and then see what kind of deal they'll work.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
thelocksmith

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Thanks for all the help
Locksmith
There are few airplane engines that would be a good match for a hydro. Most of the plane engines your uncle probably has are most likely designed to run in the 12-15k RPM range. To get speed, the boat engines typically are happy in the 20k+ range. Trying to run the typical sport airplane engine at those RPMs is going to destroy them very quickly. To help put it in perspective, one of my early OS engines was a .25 FSR. I bought it in the early 80s. At the time, this was a pretty good engine. In fact, even when I flew it 2 years ago, it still ran great. According to the factory specs, it put out .5 HP. Compare this to a reasonably priced .18 such as the CVR-M which is spec'd at 1.35 HP.

Oh, one more thing. Have your uncle check his engines against this list: http://www.osengines.com/history/engines-wanted.html
If he's got one or more on the list, see if he can trade for any boat engines for you. I asked them if they'd take the .25 FSR, a .25F ABC, and a .28F-H in trade for a .21 outboard. Imagine my surprise when they said YES! That's a brand new $300 engine for 3 used ones that I probably couldn't have got $100 for if I sold them on eBay. The strategy is to see what you've got, figure out the value, and then see what kind of deal they'll work.
That is a sweet idea he has around 10 of them i think, he told me i could take them all they where just taking up space "that was when i wanted to fly RC planes now I just fly the real ones :P I will definatly go get them this week see what I can come up with thanks for the link
TLS
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 PM
misshydro

Hay!!! go on ebay now!!! There a brand new Miss Vegas hydro for 225 dollars plus 14 dollars or less. The boat end in 14hrs!!It's buy it now!!! The Ebay idam#270023677602!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:21 PM
thelocksmith

Thanks for letting me know but i prefer to buy items through actuall stores and will more than likely have my local hobby store order it for me. I have delt with them in the past manly with are annual model rocket thing we do so I will give them my business to me I would rather pay an extra $50 and have someone i can actually talk to and help me with any questions i have with the boat.
thanks any way
TLS
Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 AM
thelocksmith

An other question for the pros, can anyone tell me who owns this boat if on the remote can u adjust the throttle so it can not reach a certain speed? Reason is I have a nephew who is only 3 but loves to play with my rc stuff he is not very good but likes to see them wreck just hought it would be neet to let him play with it but it better be able to go real slow if he does.
TLS
Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Jerry Dunlap

An other question for the pros, can anyone tell me who owns this boat if on the remote can u adjust the throttle so it can not reach a certain speed? Reason is I have a nephew who is only 3 but loves to play with my rc stuff he is not very good but likes to see them wreck just hought it would be neet to let him play with it but it better be able to go real slow if he does.
TLS
A hydroplane is not designed to go real slow. A better boat for a 3 year old would be a vee type hull.

JD
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't put too many boats in the hands of a 3 year-old as these are not toys but something that can be very dangerous when placed in the wrong hands, even those of adults. We have already had 2 deaths this year alone because of adults not watching or knowing what they were doing.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 PM
thelocksmith

well I didnt plan on just handing the remote to him he usually just likes to mve it side to side at least that is what he does with all my RC cars
Thanks for info
TLS