Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

HPI/Nova Rossi .12

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

HPI/Nova Rossi .12

Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 PM
unclecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI/Nova Rossi .12

Hi Im thikin on buildin the WildThing for a .12 size engine. I have a brand new HPI not in use. If I can make it work. My Question is can I make this engine work. If so anyone have any part numbers or links to flywheel, stud,collet to make this work. Thanks Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29461.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	526611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51694.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	526612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23038.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	526613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45169.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	526614  
Old 09-18-2006, 11:01 PM
misshydro

Default RE: HPI/Nova Rossi .12

Hi,I think,I saw some part for it on Ebay.Go to nitro parts,you should find part for it there.But you might have a proublem in finding a full treaded crank for it.The rc car crank has a sg style/not treaded all the way.Finding a collector coller to fit this type of crank might be a proublem to find too that what I was told.[8D]
Old 09-19-2006, 03:27 AM
4X4FABGUY

hi unclecrash, i had that same engine in kyosho viper and it flew. mine came with a all-thread insert for the crank so it would fit a rc10gt, but if you don't have that you could get a bolt that size and cut the head off. its a common metric bolt, 5mm dia x .8mm thread pitch. theres lots of them on any metric motorcycle. and octura models makes a flex hex to fit that thread size that takes a 1/8 inch flex shaft. thats what i used on mine, i wish i could give you a part# but i don't remember. i got it at my LHS. now for the hard part, you have to find a flywheel that will fit, i think that they exist but i don't know where to get one,octura makes them but i don't know what they look like. i made mine on a lathe just for that engine from aluminum. if you cant find one anywhere send me a pm and maybe we can work out a deal on this one? i attached a picture but I'm using one of those free Internet cameras, so the picture may not be good.

Name:	If10427.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	526711  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:56 AM
4X4FABGUY

hi crash, i found you one at tower.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCB06 it looks just like the one i made. its for os engines but it should fit yours.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
jdoug

This flywheel should work as well...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMPN5&P=7

If you can find a crankshaft with a threaded end, the engine will work just fine as long as you get some air to the head. You can get 5mm thread on collets at www.offshoreelectrics.com I would at least run a .130 size flex cable.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good jobs people. I typed a big response early this morning and was just about done when my computer line service decided to shut down for maintenance.
The threaded inserts that might fit Traxxas makes for their newest engine that might fit in there. your going to need the long one to get past the spacer plate and flywheel. The Octura flex cable collet is one of the few out there but one from a ProBoat Miss Bud/LLumar/Elam should also work.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:25 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: 4X4FABGUY

hi unclecrash, i had that same engine in kyosho viper and it flew. mine came with a all-thread insert for the crank so it would fit a rc10gt, but if you don't have that you could get a bolt that size and cut the head off. its a common metric bolt, 5mm dia x .8mm thread pitch. theres lots of them on any metric motorcycle. and octura models makes a flex hex to fit that thread size that takes a 1/8 inch flex shaft. thats what i used on mine, i wish i could give you a part# but i don't remember. i got it at my LHS. now for the hard part, you have to find a flywheel that will fit, i think that they exist but i don't know where to get one,octura makes them but i don't know what they look like. i made mine on a lathe just for that engine from aluminum. if you cant find one anywhere send me a pm and maybe we can work out a deal on this one? i attached a picture but I'm using one of those free Internet cameras, so the picture may not be good.
Thanks 4x4fabguy I will check out the link. Ya the motor is definitly a little screamer. I bought it after I melted down the picco in a 10th scale on road. the guy back then said the picco was a hot motor. I think this would leave the picco in the dust.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: jdoug

This flywheel should work as well...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMPN5&P=7

If you can find a crankshaft with a threaded end, the engine will work just fine as long as you get some air to the head. You can get 5mm thread on collets at www.offshoreelectrics.com I would at least run a .130 size flex cable.

Thanks for the links jdoug Ill check them out.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Good jobs people. I typed a big response early this morning and was just about done when my computer line service decided to shut down for maintenance.
The threaded inserts that might fit Traxxas makes for their newest engine that might fit in there. your going to need the long one to get past the spacer plate and flywheel. The Octura flex cable collet is one of the few out there but one from a ProBoat Miss Bud/LLumar/Elam should also work.
Hate when that happens[>:] Sounds kinda like what happens to me sometimes.Takes me an hour to type a few sentences. And oops I do something stupid and erase it or computer crashes Hey this would'nt have happened about 2or3am I clicked on the thread aboutythat time and saw you were viewing it.Thanks for the tips Ron
Old 09-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Ron Olson

It was about 12:24 AM when they pulled the plug. The funny thing is that I still had cable TV which is hooked up to the same line!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 PM
unclecrash

Ya Im on dialup ya never Know with those cable guys. Seems like every couple days somethings going wrong with the TV. wether its fuzzy channels or afew of them down for the money were paying you would think the service would be better. Ive thought about trying Direct TV. Dave
Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: 4X4FABGUY

hi crash, i found you one at tower.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCB06 it looks just like the one i made. its for os engines but it should fit yours.
Just checked out the flywheel the link told me it was invalid but tryed it again and it worked. Now I need to find a treaded stud or bolt. I might check LHS. Dave
Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Ron Olson

It might be a 5mm thread so if you have to, you can try a bolt of that size to see if it will fit in there. Cut the head off the bolt and you're in business.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 PM
unclecrash

Hi Ron I was just over lookin at the links to the flywheels. Im hoping I can find a 5mm bolt like you say. I noticed the OS flywheel says its a press fit Im wondering if it will press fit to the threaded part of the 5mm threads or if the bolt will need a collar on it and threads at each end. I guess my question is do you think the OS flywheel will center itself onto the threads or does it need acollar to get it to press fit. Dave
Old 09-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Ron Olson

This is the one that I'm using, it just slides right on. You're going to need to use your spacer otherwise the flywheel may hit the carb.

Name:	Vt58714.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	527281  
Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
unclecrash

Well a bolt will be no problem I found one in the basement that threads in but its too short I will keep lookin then if I cant find I know LHS will have it. I think I will get the OS flywheel its only 13bucks or so and if it doesnt press fit tom the threaded part of 5mm bolt I will go see one of my machinist friends and have him make one that will work. I noticed the picco.12 I have the crank is a bit bigger threaded the same at 5mm but steps up at the face of the motor. I also have a extra Picco carb if the slide carb gives me problems I will see if it will work it appears to have a bit bigger bore to it than the HPI. I think I can make the slide carb work fine though. I could make a bellcrank like on an airplane. Dave
Old 09-20-2006, 12:14 AM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

This is the one that I'm using, it just slides right on. You're going to need to use your spacer otherwise the flywheel may hit the carb.
Yes I understand I need the spacer Heck I dont know how the spacer even comes off is it a press fit to the crank? Thats the Flywheel IM lookin at getting it self centers it self right Ron.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Ron Olson

Yes, I have a Trinity/Picco in one of my .12 monos and it has the same step, that is why the spacer is needed.

Name:	Ki20646.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	527284  
Old 09-20-2006, 12:47 AM
unclecrash

Gotcha Ron I didnt relize my picco crank is out of the case. Make sense now. Im going to order the flywheel. I was just looking for the header pipe cant find it. I think its on my OS cv in my buggy. Do you know of a part number or link for a header and tuned pippe that will work for me.Also what size hull is your .12 in. Thanks Dave
Old 09-20-2006, 01:53 AM
unclecrash

Well I ordered the flywheel.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 AM
jdoug

unclecrash - Here's what I'm using for my OS .15 in my boat.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ557&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ605&P=7

The macs marine header is needed because it angles up from the engine. This angle is needed to get the pipe to go straight out the back. With a truck type header, it will be pointing at the bottom of the hull when the engine is placed in it's tilted position.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Ron Olson

Here is the header that I used: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJM08&P=RF and hooked it to a Mac Products 2.5 tuned pipe.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:58 AM
jdoug

Ron - What size props are you running on your WT .12?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Ron Olson

I'm still messing with props but I've got an X-637 on it right now. It barely pulls an X-440/3 so I went back to the smaller one.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:23 PM
unclecrash

I sure appreciate all the help guys. It can get very aggrevating scrolling through pages of parts to find some of this stuff. I bookmarked the pipe and header so when I am ready to buy it.Hope I can afford it this weekend. Kind of tough trying to get ready for hunting season too. Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.