Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Advise to a new nitro boat racer?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Advise to a new nitro boat racer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 AM
007clint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise to a new nitro boat racer?

I am new to boat racing but have bought Miss Vegas and Miss LLumar Nitro RTR hydroplanes and enjoy running them on local ponds for fun BUT I want to get into racing.

I have read a lot about NAMBA and IMPBA and a lot of discussion threads but what about some specific tips for a NEWBIE wanting to get into actual racing?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:36 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Advise to a new nitro boat racer?

First thing is to find the clubs in your area. The IMPBA and NAMBA sites are a good place to look. If they're not running classes for the boats you have, ask if you can run in some other classes. Also, see if they're willing to post fliers in local hobby shops to attract more boats that are similar to the ones you've got.

Go to the open water days and club races to get a feel for how racing is done. Introduce yourself to the club president and ask which members would be good to help you. Don't be shy, ask questions, but preferably not when a person is about to race, and observe. You'll find that most people will bend over backwards to help a newcomer or even experienced boater. You'll regularly see people loaning parts, lending a hand to fix something, offering tuning and driving tips, etc.

And finally, a few things I think are most important for a beginner to learn is good preparation, how to start your boat quickly and that you get very few points if you don't finish.

Good preparation means ensuring that you've done all the necessary things to have the boat run right. A few things in this category include making sure the batteries are charged, grease the shaft, bolts and screws tight, needle set in the right place, check that the glow plug still works, range check the radio, etc. Good prep minimizes the number of not finished heats due to mechanical problems.

Starting a boat quickly is important because it lets you get the boat on the water and get your brain warmed up for the race. If you're constantly fighting with the engine until the last second, you'll be more stressed when the heat finally begins. Develop a routine that you can repeat.

It's also good to learn what to do, and be prepared, in case something goes wrong. For example, a couple of my engines are prone to flooding. To fix this, the glow plug will have to come off or at least be loosened. At the beginning of a race day I put a glow plug wrench in my back left pocket (yup, it's always that one). If an engine floods I don't have to hunt for the wrench, I know exactly where it is.

Once you have the boat on the water, it's important to make sure you finish the race. While this may sound obvious, it's easy to get wrapped up in the race and forget. I've seen plenty of fast boats end up out of a heat because they set the engine too lean, drove too close (over) a bouy, flipped, spun out, etc.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We've just started a new thread trying to cover some of the questions that you're asking.
One thing that hasn't been brought up (yet) is to go to a race first to see how things are done. One thing that I would try to do is find another boater or more and try to run on the water with them to get used to driving in traffic. It doesn't matter if they're faster or slower, bigger or smaller.
I think that you're in mostly NAMBA country so it would be best to see if they have a novice class or if you're young, a Kid's Are Boaters Too class.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 PM
HPI_tek

ok guys I am almost completely new to R/C boats and I have no ecperience on the water other than real boats. My grandfather and I are starting to get interested in R/C boats and want to build a twin hull (hydro I think) but make it with a gas engine is there a class for this?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes there is, but what you described would be a cat, not a hydro. I would ask at the local hobby shops and see if you can find a club in the Vancouver area. Your other option would be to head south of the border, which can be a pain.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:40 PM
HPI_tek

hey thanks do you know where I could get specifications to build one?