Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Seaducer Build

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Seaducer Build

Old 09-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Scorpio145

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seaducer Build

HI Guys,

As you can see in my models I have just purchased the seaducer 20 hull and all the hardware required, other than the engine at this point. I have read through the plans but I was wondering if any of you guys have pictures of installing the flexcable, brass tubing etc. The photos in the plans are just of completed boats so it isn't much help. It says to fiberglass the tube in place, can you secure it using anything else other than fiberglass? also the instructions say PROPELLER DRIVE SHAFT: Drill a 1/4 hole in the back of the transom, 1/8" from the bottom to
allow for up and down movement for the brass tubing elong gate the hole for the shaft log.

In relation to "elongating" the hole. How do you seal this to stop water coming in?

These might seem like stupid questions but this is my first tme putting a boat together so I want to make sure its done right.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM
krazycdn

Default RE: Seaducer Build

A lil bit of automotive silicone will seal the hole and allow the tube to move a lil aswell
Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Jerry Crowther has gone to a lot of work to get the instructions right. Follow them exactly and you'll have a great boat. I've seen Seaducer's that people thought that they knew more than Jerry does and the boats were a handful and a half to control. They are designed to run wet, not loose on the water.
With a 1/4" hole, you shouldn't have any room for adjustment as the outside diameter of the stuffing tube should be that size.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:08 AM
Scorpio145

Thanks guys,

Am planing to get some work done on it this weekend will update with some pics. Feel free to say WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING if you see something that is out of place
Old 09-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Ron Olson

Mr. Crowther just took home almost all of the gold at this years IMPBA Internat's in the mono classes if that gives you any idea that the dude knows what he's doing. I think that he did rather well at the NAMBA Nat's too.
If you plan to race, get used to hearing Subducer, Seadunker and other words like that as with such a low profile they will submarine in really rough water so load that baby up with plenty of floatation.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Scorpio145

Thanks for the advise Ron. You are a big help. I have just fitted the strut and the rudder so now on to the engine and mount. [X(]
Old 10-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Scorpio145

I have put some pics of where I am upto in my models. Hope you like. Putting this boat together is a absolute blast. It will almost me disapointing when I have finished!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Scorpio145

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would put in an update re the seaducer 20 build. I joined a local club that races in a lake down the road and can I just say it has been a HUGE help. The guys there are great and as far as advise they are brilliant. Through one of the members I was able to secure a CMB.21LS engine for on $300aus (approx $210us) with header and a tuned pipe. Also I bought a second Seaducer hull complete to help me learn to race. The second hull is slightly older and abot 3 inches shorter than my new one.

Quick question though. The second boat has the same CMB .21LS installed and it has been run with 40% nitro. Finding that % nitro here in aus is extremely difficult. I want to get the boat in the water this weekend but only have a good quality 25% fuel. Will it be ok to run this in the CMB? Will it cause any issues. Obviously power would be down but thats not a major concern at this stage.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Ron Olson

Oh no, you're in Melbourne!!!!
I know of a few boaters from there from another forum site and have met only one in person, Craig Chenco as when he attended the 2003 IMPBA Internat's I shared my cabin with him when his other plans fell through.
The internet is nice but there's nothing like having someone right there helping you out.
The nitro percentage shouldn't give you any problems but will make the needle easier to set and be more forgiving. Now that you've hooked up with some other boaters, they should be able to tell you where to get parts and high nitro fuel.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Scorpio145

Yes Ron I am a Melbourne boy. The guys at the club are a great help and I have my first inter club race in 2 weeks. I am a tad nervous but the way the Seaducer handles is giving me a great deal of confidence. They really are a great boat. Having said that it is aheck of a steap learning curve going from the CEN Aqua Jet

Quick question. I am currently using a Octura 225 and it seems to be a bit big for the engine with it bogging down unless you give it a good launch. I know they are meant to use the Octura 440/3 but they are currently in back order and wont be available for another 2 weeks. As I have a race meet coming up can anyone sugest another prop that work well with this hull, engine combo. Oh by the way the engine is the CMB .21LS with CMB tuned pipe.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Ron Olson

Yeah, a 225 is a bit much. Jerry advises that prop as a good all-around prop for that hull but depending on what engine that you run can affect which prop you hang on it. My .21 mono uses a P-220 but the CMB should turn a 440, 640, 642 and maybe even up to the M-445. One of my close boating buds has the same engine and pipe that you have but in a Wild Thing hull and has been turning some of his modded props that I've got to try.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Scorpio145

Ok so here is a small clip of me complete Seaducer SD2. Its running the CMB .21LS and a X642 Prop (Thanks to Ron for the suggestion) Firstly no there is no camera man as I was testing the 642 but its better than nothing. This is the lake at the end of my property in Nagambie in Melbourne. Makes a rescue easy with a canoe nearby

Not sure but I think it needs to be leaned out alittle as it still could rev harder I think.

You be the judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yDBciNwvg
Old 11-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Ron Olson

The engine has a lot more potential in it. If you've got any other props laying around, drop down to a smaller one to see if it wakes it up. You could try maybe an X-437, 438 or 440.
If the engine is new, I like to start off with a smaller prop during the break-in period.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Scorpio145

Hi Ron,

I bought an 440 as well that I will balance this weekend. We have a club day on Sunday so will see how it goes. The engine has had about 5 tanks through it now. I still have it set quite rich for the break in so leaning it out plus the 440 will yeild a good result.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone have any stats on the picco .45. There is a guy at the club selling a Aeromarine sprint cat that has never seen the water. He finished the build about 5 years ago and the hull and the engine have never been used. I am thinking due to the age of the engine it wouldn't be great but he has had the engine/carb sealed since he completed the build.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Ron Olson

The Picco .45's are still competitive, I have a blue head in my Microburst. The high-speed needle is very sensitive to adjustments so a little goes a long way.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Scorpio145
I am thinking due to the age of the engine it wouldn't be great but he has had the engine/carb sealed since he completed the build.
It would be worth pulling the engine apart to clean it out and confirm the bearings are ok, but other than that, no reason to not get it. As Ron said, many still run Picco engines.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Scorpio145

I know that there are a million different variables but what sort of speed would you get out of a .45 in a Aeromarine srint cat?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:56 AM
Scorpio145

Another question...I have a second hseaducer hull ( the newer 33" hull). I already have the 21 running but was wondering if it is possible to put a CMB 45 in this hull. I know that there is the seaducer hull built to handle the 45 ( an extra 5") but I dont really want 2 21's and or want to buy yet another seaducer hull.

Thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to soak up every drop of knowledge I can
Old 11-04-2006, 07:35 AM
piper_chuck

I know that there are a million different variables but what sort of speed would you get out of a .45 in a Aeromarine srint cat?
I would guess you should easily be able to get it into the 40s. How much more depends on whether you're talking about a sport type engine, or a stronger engine such as MAC or CMB.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:38 AM
piper_chuck

Another question...I have a second hseaducer hull ( the newer 33" hull). I already have the 21 running but was wondering if it is possible to put a CMB 45 in this hull. I know that there is the seaducer hull built to handle the 45 ( an extra 5") but I dont really want 2 21's and or want to buy yet another seaducer hull.

Thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to soak up every drop of knowledge I can
If you've seen a well setup 21 run you'd know they are already running on the fringes of performance. This is especially true if you're going to run it in chop such as heat racing. If you're planning to race it, you'll need the extra size. If you're just planning to run it for fun, you could give it a try, but remember that the setup instructions are all based on a .21, you're going to be on your own to get it running well.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Scorpio145

Hi Guys,

Solved the problem and sold the other 21 hull today

Thought I would share some video if our club day today. My seaducer was running pretty rough but the tunning continues. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6OSUlSKDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLXOzHl-yJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bOCEmkW0YA
Old 11-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Scorpio145

Hi Guys remind me again. Adjusting the strut up makes the boat losoer right? As in the hull should sit higher out of the water?

Thanks

1st race in a weeks time...will get some footage to show how oz is going with their boats. Am a tad nervous about taking out a buoy and or another persons boat! any advice?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Ron Olson

Yes it does but only go up just a little bit at a time. A degree wil make a difference.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Scorpio145

Thanks Ron, Any advise on the racing?

I had to pull the engine etc out a couple of days ago and I reset the strut, but down not up. The boat was low in the water and when I got it out there was some slight smoke around the header. I hope I didn't strain the engine too much and cooked it!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Ron Olson

The smoke could be a lot of things but kind of hard to tell from here. It could be a simple exhaust leak around the header and the exhaust flange or jusy about anytihng else as the engine, header and pipe do get on the warm side.
Seaducer's seem to run best on the wet side, not loose on the water. Find the happy medium as that's what you'll want in racing conditions as the other boats will kick up the waves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.