Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

shockwave 36, or thundercat 31

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

shockwave 36, or thundercat 31

Old 11-07-2006, 07:10 PM
hyper701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shockwave 36, or thundercat 31

they are both about the same price, in your opinion which is the better boat. cheers
Old 11-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Raylon

Default RE: shockwave 36, or thundercat 31

Depends on what you are doing with it. I own the TC31 and love it. What size lake and water conditions are two things to consider first.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:51 PM
saleens7

well, here is what conditions you would want to use each boat in....

the TC31 is a catameran, so naturally, it would perform best in calm water....because its shorter than the SW36, it wont take waves as good....but its wider, so it is more stable than the SW36

I have the SW36...its a good boat for the price...it can handle rough ansd calm conditions relativly well.....it does go faster in calm, but it a LOT more fun to use in rough.
now, because it's not as wide, it will tend to bob side to side at fast speeds when hitting wake....but i have never flipped mine (yet)....i guess i need to be more hard on it[>:]

overall, both boats are good...but like Zelatio said...the size and conditions of your lake factor wich boat to get.....

just to give you more info on how the boats handle....there is a vid somewhere where both boats race....they are neck and neck most of the time....however..the TC31 flipped 3 times, while the SW36 did not flip at all....but im not saying the SW36 is better.....or am i
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
gooycheese

well from my experience with the tc31 when it does flip it just floats upside down, it has never even looked like it was going to start to go under. my buddy has th sw36 and his has done complete barrel rolls and kept going but he has been upside down one time and the back end went under and boat did go nose up. granted neither of our boats have any flotation in them, i like living on the edge.........lol. i have seen alot of people talk badly about proboat, I myself have no problem with proboat i really like them. Today i found my one way bearing was cracked thats why my tiger drive wasn't engaging, i called proboat and they are sending me a free bearing. for a first ever nitro anything i really like the tc31. well good luck and good boating.

Paul
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
gofast53

gooycheese...how did you go about getting ProBoat to come to the parTy with the warranty. Did they need to see copies of a receipt at all, as surely they require proof of purchase from your LHS.
Reason I am asking is because I have a 2 week old ProBoat with a faulty flex shaft which I purchased through my local LHS.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Raylon

I originally had a bad Tx, but they replaced both the Tx and the Rx for me free of charge.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 AM
hyper701

the dam i will b running in is a good size, and most of the time its flat, but it does get a bit rough when the wind picks...... as they do
at this point im leaning towards the sw36
Old 11-08-2006, 07:44 AM
gooycheese

i bought my boat from a lhs but i had a problem with the flywheel breaking loose and wasn't sure how to tighten it back down so i sent in my engine and a copy of the receipt. they have all my info on my boat on file. so far what i have gotten for free= exhaust manifold, flywheel service, rudder and as of yesterday a one way bearing. oh yeah this boat now is 6 month old and they are still giving me parts for free. i would just call them 1-877-504-0233 just explain your problem and offer to email pictures or receipt, last resort send parts back that usually takes longer. from my experience they never want nothing sent in and are always happy to help me. well good luck and good boating.

Paul

p.s. I always start my conversations with how i love there product, ya catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 AM
gooycheese

about the flex shaft make sure it lines up correctly, take care tightening down the motor mountings(flex shaft needs to slide straight into collet on motor). so far i have 3 gallons of fuel ran thru my boat and still have original flex shaft(knock on wood), yes my shaft is getting worn now and the top is starting to unravel but i did resolder it before it got too bad. well good luck and good boating.

Paul

p.s. after every day on the lake take shaft out clean up and re-grease. gently twist shaft to the right as you install, and make sure you prop is balanced.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
gofast53

Thanks gooycheese will try emailing first due to the huge difference in our time zones. Great tip on turning flexi to the right when inserting as I am always worried I will damage mine!
Old 11-11-2006, 03:17 AM
hyper701

which of the 2 boats is faster?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:24 AM
gooycheese

Thats a tough question. honestly I would say right outa the box maybe the shockwave. but in my opinion that speed is pretty squirly, the boat is bouncing and chining alot. On the other hand the thunder cat at top speed was really smooth. the shockwave does have trim tabs to adjust the bouncing and chining out but then you loose speed. Now I have done a bunch of diffrent mods to my tc31 and im not sure how it will perform, I am hoping for 45mph (I did have 42mph before I did some sleeve mods and diffrent tuned pipe). So all in all I will say outa the box shockwave but thundercat has more potential. This is just my opinion. Good luck and good boating

Paul
Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 AM
saleens7

the SW36 does get a little squirly when at top speed, but i still think it ok......what surprises me is that the thundercat doesent go faster.......they have the same motors, but the TC is smaller and lighter and has less resistance in the water.....so thats something thats confusing me......

so far, my SW36 is giving me no problems, but i hardly use it right now.....no time bacause of school.....but when summer comes
Old 11-11-2006, 04:05 PM
gooycheese

Saleens i would love to have your weather right now, weather channel says its 78f and feels like 80f. Right now here it is 42f feels like 36f. But yes you are correct school is most important.

Paul
Old 11-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Saleens i would love to have your weather right now, weather channel says its 78f and feels like 80f. Right now here it is 42f feels like 36f. But yes you are correct school is most important.

Paul
its a trade off though... he gets the warm weather and all the rain & hurricanes, you get the cold weather and all the snow. I grew up in south florida not far from where Saleen is (Ft.Lauderdale) and dont miss getting hit dead on by hurricanes AT ALL!.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
gooycheese

Ohhhhhh yeah you are correct, sorry have fun in the sun while ya got it.

Paul
Old 11-11-2006, 08:29 PM
saleens7

well, beisdethat trees that (accoring to the homeowners accossiation and all their "bright ideas") need to be replaced after they get knoked down by the hurricanes and YOU pay for em and the missibg roof tiles, broken windows, flying couches(yes, flying couches....apparently, anything can fy in a hurricane), broken power lines, the very ssslllllooooowwww response of the cleanup crew, the giant trees and light posts that seem to aim at your new fence when they fall, the one stupid guy who thinks its fun to fly a kite in 120mph winds, trying to sleep at night with lightning blasting two inches from your bedroom window, and the dogs that happen to love to poop on your lawn (and especially next to your front door.....i think florida is a great place to live

oh yeah, and the old people who drive -6mph on the highway, and 134mph in the school zones...florida is great

ok, enough venting....

well, hyper 701, the SW36 is good for rough water conditions, so it would be a good choice, but is has its share of problems.......before you buyit, make shure that ts the one with the tiger drive system.....that one seems to have less flex shaft problems, but the tubing to the exhause, fuel tank, and carb need to be zip tied very tight, as they seem to leak....the fual tank cap needs some kind of rubber lining on it, it leaks air too....also, the foam provided in the front is not enough to keep the back end afloat, what i would do is stuff some pool noodle foam under and next to the radio box, next to the fuel tank, and up front...also, stick a few tampons in the radio box, i hvent tried it yet, but people say it keeps any water from getting to the electrinics....also, stuff some tissues, paper towels, or tampns under the fual tank....i founf that it leaks too and that keeps it from getting to the hull......also, to check for leaks in the tank, unplu tha lines from it, take it out, close all exits, and hold it underwater and squeese it.....if you see bubbles, find the leak and epoxy over it.......this will provid temporary leak protection, but eventually, youi will need to buy a new tank....

to find out more info, i would find the unnoficial SW36 thread on here and read the whole thing....be try not to read it too much, youll go blind
Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM
pedaladdictions

i like to try the thundercat, if it's anything like the sw i'd be sold, i like to follow the real boats around the dock area n play in thier wake,lots of wake, barrel rolling n a bit of retreavel, i filled the front of the boat with spray foam n glued foam from a toy box along sides of boat to the back, most of the time the boat now will right itself n i can keep running , than theres when it just stays upside down , but the boat now stays above water,,,, i found that a testers paint bottle cap works better than a plastic lid, wont flex when tighten down
Old 11-12-2006, 02:26 PM
wave waker

i'll buy both and race them,,,coz it's boring to run boat alone.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:30 PM
pedaladdictions

thats why i go wake chasing ...... havent figured out how to multitask 2 boats at same time ..... my evil twin just wont coperate.....................