Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

EP/GP Modification to 41" jet speed boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

EP/GP Modification to 41" jet speed boat

Old 11-09-2006, 03:06 AM
kyle5166

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP/GP Modification to 41" jet speed boat

I bought a boat on ebay, found out it is a EP/GP toy jet speed boat with some slight damages to tip area. it is EP supplied at the moment but I would rather it be nitro powered so I will have to modify. adding clutch and sizing fuel tank.... I dont want to have to refill after 10 minutes of op....know what i mean. First of all though I am going to get a USB hub cable for my futaba 7chan radio and get some practice with the radio, if there are simulation programs available. Then just use it to operate the boat......even though the boat only requires 2chan I think I will be more comfortable with it. hoping this is possible or not I have no clue.

I spoke with my local hobbie shop, but as the owner said they dont really get into the boat area much, so he wuldnt be of much help to me other then parts orders. I know I will have to figure CG and trim measurement and adjustment and I am thinking in upgrading engine to the O.S. .18 w/pull start and burning nitro fuel. I will of course need idea's and opinions on the pathways. ultimate goal being design and build my own pro speed

Old 11-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Believe It
Banned

Default RE: EP/GP Modification to 41" jet speed boat

seems to me that a 41" boat with an .18 would be waaay underpowered, and probably slower then 98% of the RTR boats on the market today. Id look to at least putting a .45 in it.... but thats just me. For 10+ minutes of runtime... two 16oz tanks would probably do well for the small motor.

As far as running a clutch setup, cant say ive ever seen a nitro setup utilizing a clutch in a boat...but id imagin if you are handy at fabricating stuff, you could make it work.

Theres also no marine simulator to my knowledge.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:50 PM
kyle5166

The hull of the 41" is ABS plastic....so I sure don't want to over-power it, I am unsure of the GVW and any pertinent info as of yet...so when I first thought about fuel tank size and shape....I thought the bigger that fits the longer run time pending its not under powered, I want to be sure to balance power and run time where tank size is concerned right??

About using a clutch, with nitrous engines in a boat.....won't the boat want to take off the second I set it in the water if there's no way to disengage the drive?????

when I originally spoke to the hobby shop they said the boat is normally of the .15 size in the nitrous engines.....thats what made me think increase to .18 to increase both power and balance the increase in run time. and most definitely pull start....lol
and I have been told that the 6exa radio I have cant be used for marine use... what I cant figure out is why.... seems to me that radio & receiver are matched no matter what you wanna run. The 2PH radio is set up for marine but I am more comfortable running a dual stick radio.
This particular boat has a 550 Electric engine in it now but has no servo's with it. It is scheduled by ups to be delivered today so I am on-line researching ABS plastic repair solutions..... if the manufacturer is known would it be simpler to ask manufacture for a new hull or just try to repair this one, from my understanding the damages aren't major and can be repaired but what should i use is my first priority then electronics then engine/fuel system then prop.

Right now it has a D44xP1.5 prop on it

guys I appreciate the replies thank you so much for discussing this with me as I begin my journey into the r/c world again after it has been 20yrs since I even touched a radio
Old 11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
narn

Blimey a 41" boat with a 550 would be dead slow! And how can the hobby shop say that tthat that size boat normally has a .15! Madness.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:01 PM
saleens7

Beleive it....the nitro vee from traxxas has a clutch....

a .41 should be fine...a lot of rc boats dont use a clutch....the problem with clutches is you stop for too long and the engine will overheat....youl probably need to replace all the hardware on it.....if it uses plastic harware, its not going to handle a nitro.....make shure you have the balance point around 30% from the back of the hull....
Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 PM
cad_monkey_1

and I have been told that the 6exa radio I have cant be used for marine use... what I cant figure out is why
The 6EXA is on an aircraft frequency unless it's been modified - surface operations aren't supposed to use the aircraft freqs.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:16 AM
kyle5166

but those modifications can be done cant they? and isnt it possible to change frequency too?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:43 PM
kyle5166

I spoke with the seller since i didnt recieve it yet and found out it was shipped today....talked about pissed off.....I was not in a very happy mood.

I made another visit to the hobby shop today for info. since a .41 nitro was suggested in here, I asked them how about a .46 aircraft engine, 1 big concern is, will the plastic hull handle it? another big concern is the fact that aircraft engines rely on air cooling, so, how would I use it for marine w/o taking on water into the boat. I also looked at a few nitro RTR boats to try and get some idea of what hardware is currently used and what I may need to do the mod. I somehow think I would be better off trying to find someone to make the mod's for me. Any suggestions at this point guys/gals?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 PM
wave waker

kyle, just my 2cents..the mods ur planning to do look like pain in the rear, and costly and might disappoint u in the end, like plastic hull doesn't get along with nitro, with bigger engine it needs a stronger stringer mount, clutch in nitro boat is negligible coz once u started the boat all u need is speed...there are RTR boats with reasonable prices such as shockwave 36, nitro hammer, thundercat31, hydros.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:30 PM
misshydro

Put a hot .21 in it! It will move that boat pretty good.Plus it wont suck up that much fuel for ten min run.Oh if your concerned about motor mounting to abs plastic.get Permatex perma poxy 5min plastic weld.It's the sh[:'(]t awsome stuff!!I'd used it in my plastic speed storm hydro for the motor mounts and works perfict.Plus I'd used it in my fuel tank that I'd mod alittle bit and it's still holding great.That was done two months ago!![>:]
Old 11-11-2006, 03:35 AM
kyle5166

First order of biz........ABS plastic repairs.....what kind of material can be used to fill in holes, make patches, etc.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:52 AM
misshydro

Use that plastic epoxy that I'd told you about!!You can get it at Advance autoparts stores!![>:]After you use this if your doing the out side of the boat then you use a skim coat of autobody filler to get the out side real smooth.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:24 AM
kyle5166

So your sayin that fiberglass filler will bond to the abs plastic?? or are you saying to use a layer of perma-poxy under the filler to help abhasion??

About the motor... being this boat is 41 inches long, would a .21 be enough power for high speed?? As I said in here before, I already have a .46 airplane engine but am concerned if it wont tear the hull to pieces. I wish someone could explain "bph" to me is that like "mph" or what??? or is it a measurement to be used when sizing the motor??? I looked at some marine engines online @ tower hobbies but am kinda leary cuz I want one with a pull start. when I said I wanted more then 10 minutes I meant, that I want to run more like a half-hour or so at a time.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:33 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

That's the problem with boat and car people, they don't know or care that they might shoot us plane people down by using the wrong frequency.

Bob
Old 11-12-2006, 11:56 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kyle you can use an airplane motor in your boat i did in my 36 inch plywood deep v.i used acooling coil home made!!.it works well but if i were you id buy a marine motor for it.mines a 61 size sc engine and for the same price as the aero one you can get the marine one with the water cooled head.i only used this one as i allready had it.heres a pic of mine and the coil ,ignore the zip ties they were temporary while i soldered the coil.to make the coil fill the tube with sand or water tape up the ends but make sure the tube is filled to 1 inch from the top then tape that end also and wrap the tube round the head it works pretty well.by the way if you use a plane engine you need a starter belt set up you cant get a pull start for most engines over 20 size anyway.you will also need a fly wheel that fits to use the v belt to spin it to get it started.if i were you id get a 40 size marine engine.a 20 size normally goes in a boat arround 18 to 24 inches not 41".[img][/img].if your boat was fibre glass id suggest getting a weed whacker engine and stick that in ,its a lot easier to get the things started and way cheaper to run(fuel cheaper) lol.but it been plastic i wouldnt advise it ,also the nitro will eat your plastic boat unless you protect it somehow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62738.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	558745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87792.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	558746  
Old 11-12-2006, 01:44 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: kyle5166

but those modifications can be done cant they? and isnt it possible to change frequency too?
Yes, it can be done. Futaba has a program to change the band to s surface frequency.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:33 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Time for a level set here, the suggestions appear to be wandering all over the place. While the boat is larger than the typical .21 size, since it's an ABS electric right now, it may not be strong enough for a .45. You are definitely going to have to put in some reinforcement to hold the engine, and probably on the transom. Trying to put in too much power is going to lead to durability problems, and most likely handling problems too. While a .21 won't turn it into a rocket, it may be a better choice than something larger. Given a choice between a .21 marine, or a .45 aero converted to marine, I'd go marine. The .21 also give you the option of the pull start, which you said you want. Take a look at the OS .21 RG-MX.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 AM
kyle5166

with it being 41" long and with a 9" beam and 9" height.....to do the convert to a nitro jet speed boat... I would more then likely want to re-inforce the whole hull including the transom which adds alot of weight but...also allows the added strength necessary dont you think? and at that point I wonder if a change to an outboard would maybe be a thought.

I feel so overwhelmed with all the different suggestion but it is good to be getting the opinions like this. like I said....I'm a beginner
Old 11-13-2006, 04:32 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why an outboard? just stick a 40 size marine motor in it and go surface drive ,as said you will need to add strength. plywood engine rails and a transome strengthener in 1/4 ply is a good idea for attaching your hardware.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
kyle5166

ok so engine is settled, i will see if i can get my hands on a 40 size marine engine and start working to strengthen the hull. is there any other possible suggestions which would help me to make this just like a "rocket"....lol.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 PM
misshydro

Use the perma poxy for adhesion/glue in your mounts or patch holes or fixs cracks in the plastic hull.[>:]
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 AM
kyle5166

Recieved the boat friday and was immediately disappointed and discouraged from ever buying from ebay ever again!!!! the very tip of the boat is missing a nice size chunk but no other damage to the hull is visible, rudder or tail system is gone, there's no servo's or ESC. , prop and part of drive shaft missing. No trim fins... geeeez what did i buy. it does have a 550 electric motor in it that does work but sounds pretty well burnt. battery pack wont hold a charge long enuff to completely test motor...there is a knucle for a short shaft w/prop to attach to...probably better off buyin a brand new boat instead of workin this one huh????? being this was made in china and i cannot seem to find out who the exact manufacturer is and be able to get parts for it. pls guys/gals give me some advice here.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:21 AM
gooycheese

I would have got a new boat or built a boat from a kit. Like you said you are new, I am new too. I bought a rtr tc31 for a first boat, yes I am happy with it but I am trying to build a boat from plans now. I was told a Hot .45 motor would really test my hull, I wouldn't even consider putting it in a plastic hull. Hopefully you didn't spend alot of money on this boat, research the type of boat you want. If you want to go fast then I would say you probably don't want rtr, you wanna build your own. Ohh whats your idea of fast, my tc31 does 40mph+ with very little mods to it I would guess the sw36 is about the same. After I read this whole subject it sounded like you where going to try and hop up this boat that wasn't the quality boat to be hoping up, plastic is sorta sucky for boats. If you want convenience buy rtr about $400, If you want something fast build it (the boat you got sounds like a plastic hull that needs a total build anyways, so you where planing to basically build). Building a boat is gonna cost $400 +++++ it depend alot on what you want, but it is almost winter time and now is the time to build. Wish I could help more.

Paul
Old 11-19-2006, 09:05 PM
kyle5166

Paul,

You said that, you got a tc31 as your first? I apologize for not really understanding what the tc31 is. When I said fast I meant FAST! 40+ is good....lets talk 60+ just to get an idea of what fast is to me. I'de Love to build but I am not expierienced enough to be able to do it from scratch. I did however many years ago build a plane from kit...Flew it once, thrown by arm strait up and dive bomb'd strait back down doing a high loop......stupid enough though I was, I thought it could actually be launched that way....LOL It gave me some unforgotten information...LOL. In concern about my radio being on a flight channel, I knew it had to be changed to a surface program...I am just unsure of who to contact or where to send it regarding having it changed and how much it would cost me. I am curious to find out if being it is 6 channels and 6 model memory.....could 3 boats be driven at a time if the boats were ALL 2 channel boats? I simply would love to keep this 6exa...nice radio( even if there are better). I was looking at the miss vegas nitro to start out using and giving the 41" to a friend that has never even used a radio. just to get him radio trained. with trims and such. He likes the pistol grip so....I couldn't go wrong as a x-mas gift right??? the 41 can be worked on throughout the winter.... teaching him basic basics..... I know I need to find an instructor locally and get trained properly but it helps to have some real basic knowlege before doing so. Eventually, I will join a club and find a good race team to join. i'm very enthusiastic and very anxious about being back into the r/c hobby. Of course this means more tools & toys for me.....LOL

I spent the whole night last night putting the decals on the 41 some old junky decals that came with it originally, I am going to try and take pics of it to upload soon so you all can see what I am dealing with.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 AM
kyle5166

Mannnnn do I have some news...... as you all remember, I got this boat on ebay. I left the seller negative feedback for, his little trick of removing the drive(rudder)system and electronics. Today I recieved an email from him saying if I removed the feedback I could have the parts....soooo I so kindly sent him back a nice note sayin "no way jose!!" parts first then feedback removal, which in my eyes is only right of customer satisfaction. We'll just see if he was being honest about giving me the parts.

Since I have been tryin to work a deal with murphy for his thundercat 31. I'de kinda got an itch ta have a running boat, I been concentrating on getting my flight stuff together to give him some pics. Just got the wing left and I can go back to the boat work. I wanna get the parts from the seller and install....then I can go about changing hardware and drive over to nitro.