Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Winter Build - Rigger -

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Winter Build - Rigger -

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
gooycheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Winter Build - Rigger -

What type of epoxy should I use for a plywood/balsa/carbon fiber build?

Thanks Paul
Old 11-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Kelly Miller

All right I can't stand it anymore I can tell I am going to have to get the drawing board out and see what I can get going. cheese I have attatched a picture from cmdi showing how they are attatching the front booms. my road runners are adjustable in front and back. the angle of attack we use there is 3\8 of an inch six inches foward of the rear of the sponson. here is a link to instructions we use for a roadrunner http://rcboat.com/setup.htm .

Kelly

Now what to build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74322.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	560892  
Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 PM
gooycheese

Sweet, Kelly thank you i have been wanting something like this Ok after looking at the link you supplied its coming together better, but the pic you show what keeps the water from coming into the tub from the over sized holes for the rods?

Thanks again Paul
Old 11-15-2006, 05:42 PM
rcu-eur

test
Old 11-15-2006, 05:44 PM
gooycheese

Please please dont get upset with me, I am so looking forward to this build and I dont want people to get mad at me. I just am not sure and I like to be without doubt on how to do things .

Thanks Paul
Old 11-15-2006, 05:46 PM
gooycheese

No this is worse than any test for me
Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM
toyotatruckin

hay ask all you want no one has any problems with questions and trust me I am picky and like to know all there is to know before i start something.
As for the water getting in no problem you need to put a drain hole in the tub the hull of these boats when going isnt even in the water..
Hay kelly, long time no see, hope everythings been going good for you and thanks for your input!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 PM
unclecrash

Any progress on your build Dave
Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Kelly Miller

perhaps my comment earlier was misunderstood, all you guys talking about little riggers has inspired me to start to build one. cheese there is a lot of information available here from evryone and yes the more info you gather the better your build will be.

perhaps a good place to look would be this page http://www.cmdracing.com/updated/eagle.htm and look at the photos of the 90% kit. I think you can see some close up photos that may answer some questions also but I know everyone here will enjoy answering all your questions.

put a spacer around the boom tubes, mine just slide over next to the tub and I may use a dab of something to hold it there

I would propbably put holes in the bottom of the tank compartment and the engine compartment.

Hey Mike been busy putting big boats away for the winter. am trying to get enough time to build a seaducer gas hydro and perhaps a sport 20 but this .09-.18 rigger project sounds like a lot of fun and it may have to come first.

Kelly
Old 11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
gooycheese

Ok so now with a big smile on my face I am gonna put holes in the bottom of the boat.........lol this sounds kinda funny to me. Now this type of boat doesnt go slow in the water with the tub dragging along does it its meant to go fast and nothing else really correct? I got alot of ideas now kelly thank you. I will make front and back rods adjustable and I will use all the links given to try and make the best boat I can, like I said before this is a first build and I will learn from my mistake and make even better the next build. Well today I finished building the rear sponson, they seem pretty good to me. Now once they are done what do I do to seal them and the rest of the boat? I plan on painting the sponsons and leaving the tub natural. I also made the turn fin spar, unfortunaly I broke my camera at work yesterday so I cant take picture right now. I will get camera fixed and have pics asap.

Thanks again Paul
Old 11-15-2006, 10:44 PM
unclecrash

Yup go fast turn right. Deffinetly not a tug boat. I will use a bit of silicone around the holes if I need to change the setup cut the silicone. reset reseal. Dave
Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 PM
toyotatruckin

Hay kelly you need to build a small rigger as you will have me to run with next year! Also the guy that bought my microburst is suposed to build a bantom .12 rigger to so that would make 3 in the club, Plus I have my 7.5 hawk rigger in the works right now and will post some pictures when it gets back from being painted...
Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Kelly Miller

Mike I am going to look at one of Tom's kits but I also keep running through my mind a front sponson like the eagle but I think the boat would need rear sponsons like toms boat. I think the little boats will catch on and would be a lot of fun to race. I will keep you posted.

Daryl Robe can put together a nice boat and it will be neat to see his bantam when he gets done.

I think what the hawk needs is a picco black head .45 ( there has been talk about making them again)[X(] or a cmb green head.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
toyotatruckin

found a scroll saw and I love it!!! flying through my parts and now I need to pick up more wood, some CA and finishing epoxy oh and hit home depot for the foam!

Kelly, If you have the time and want to build a scratch kit I can give you a set of plans to go by they are toms,just not his latest set I have them on file or could go to copymax and have you a set made next time Im over that way(tomarow)..let me know if you want them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68280.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	561380  
Old 11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
gooycheese

Ummmm lol but I have been using only a utility/box cutter knife. So far it seems to be working great. And I now think I have the front end all figured out just looking for the correct size aluminum and carbon fiber.

thanks again everyone Paul
Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Kelly Miller

Thanks for the offer Mike but I went ahead and bought a kit online last night. will be putting that together soon I hope. are you going with a .12, .15 or a .18?

Kelly
Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM
unclecrash

First post looks like he's going with the .18 os cvr if he uses the same motor as he did in his wild thing. dave
Old 11-16-2006, 06:33 PM
toyotatruckin

nope Im cheap, Aquacraft .18 already have it, at least thats the plan for now..
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
andrewhendler

What plans did you use toyota, I also have the engine in my vegas and am looking for a .18 size rigger kit. I dont want to under power the .21 size and dont want to try to stuff it in a .12 size rigger, unless someone thinks it will fit.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:54 PM
gooycheese

Mike,

Are you gonna use carbon fiber and aluminum tubing for the sponson booms? I am having a tough time finding what I wanna use. Is fiberglass tubing just as strong as carbon fiber, lhs dont have a big selection of carbon fiber or fiberglass. Carbon fiber biggest diameter is .210 and i think thats a little small? Fiberglass I can get .250 but the wall is really thin, I dont know what to do []
I know I want 3/8 aluminum tubing though

Paul
Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
toyotatruckin

lol It will fit!! And I bet I could drop a .21 in it but I would have to add more support to the hull...
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Mike,

Are you gonna use carbon fiber and aluminum tubing for the sponson booms? I am having a tough time finding what I wanna use. Is fiberglass tubing just as strong as carbon fiber, lhs dont have a big selection of carbon fiber or fiberglass. Carbon fiber biggest diameter is .210 and i think thats a little small? Fiberglass I can get .250 but the wall is really thin, I dont know what to do []

Paul
Check out post 44 or 45 by Tom the site claims the fiberglass tube to be stronger than carbon. And like Tom said you can run a screw through it without it crackin.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM
toyotatruckin

I buy my CF rod at the kite shop they have a large slection of it, so if you caN finda kite shop try there! Im still thinkin on how Im gonna build the sponsons my last thought was just use 1/16 hull side 1/32 the rest and just foam in the middle no balsa or any extra it would be plenty strong. If I go that way Im am going to use brass tube epoxied in the sponsons and slip the CF rod into it and clamp it down
ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Mike,

Paul
Old 11-16-2006, 07:14 PM
gooycheese

Ok then thats the answer I am gonna go fiberglass and Im gonna go 1/16 ply, balsa, foam, balsa foam and the 1/32 all other sides

Thanks Paul
Old 11-16-2006, 07:14 PM
toyotatruckin

One thing about fiberglass tube is it has more flex to it than the CF and if you predrill the CF you shouldnt have any problems FG is cheaper than CF look at walmart you could use aarow shafts..
ORIGINAL: unclecrash

Paul
Check out post 44 or 45 by Tom the site claims the fiberglass tube to be stronger than carbon. And like Tom said you can run a screw through it without it crackin.
[/quote]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.