Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Newbie Q's. Thundercat 31, Aeromarine Mean Machine, Miss Vegas?s

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Newbie Q's. Thundercat 31, Aeromarine Mean Machine, Miss Vegas?s

Old 11-13-2006, 02:11 AM
spinwax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Q's. Thundercat 31, Aeromarine Mean Machine, Miss Vegas?s

Hello, Im new. Hopefully Im not asking too many of the same questions that have probaly been asked 50+ times.

I would like to get an RC boat. I would like to have the opportunity to trick it out a bit. I will run it at two local ponds and possibly the lake when my wife and I are out on our boat. I have seen plenty of threads on the Miss Vegas, and the TC31. They are both extremely popular and seem like they can be built up to go faster.

My question is about the Aeromarine Mean Machine. I have done numerous searches and really didnt come up with much about Aeromarine in general. This boat seems to be of high quality, one of the best looking boats I have seen (looks like my favorite real boat MTI) and also seems to fall in about the same price range as the TC31 and Vegas. Why doesnt the Aeromaine seem have the following of the TC or Miss Vegas? I couldnt find much mention about this boat on RCU whatsoever. (please link a thread if you know of one)

Everything I have read about the Aeromarine written by the manufacture and various hobby shops says it is RTR at around the mid 300 mark although the shops that offer it never seem to have any mention of it coming with a radio or much about the engine or hardware it comes with.

Last but not least (Im sure it has been asked a ton of times) but out of the 3 which is the best way to go? Which one has the most after market or potential to go fast and handle well (Im guessing the Vegas).

Old 11-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Thundercat 31, Aeromarine Mean Machine, Miss Vegas?s

I had the first, second and pre-production boats in my hands and had thought at the time that it was going to be the RTR boat to have as the hull and hardware were fantastic. Unfortunately the finished product really didn't live up to what I expected from them. It is way underpowered with the .18 in it as the hull is the same size as their .21/.45 Cat's. Trying to put a decent .21 in there is a chore as the motor mount is a lump of 'glas instead of them using engine rails in there. It has been done but Remy and the boys should have placed at least a pull-start .21 in there. With the ProBoat and Aquacraft's coming out with cheaper and faster boats they've kind of gotten left behind.
There were a lot of people who laid out cash ahead of time for a boat that they waited too long to get and that didn't help matters either. Not knowing what engine or radio system they were getting was another problem.
The first version had a CEN Racing .15 in it, the reason why the yellow one has the .15 on it and had a Miss Bud header and pipe. It was custom painted by Dean Werges so the paint job alone probably cost more than what the boat sells for, you had to see it in person to see the tiny details that Dean put into it.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:48 AM
spinwax

Default RE: Thundercat 31, Aeromarine Mean Machine, Miss Vegas?s

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I had the first, second and pre-production boats in my hands and had thought at the time that it was going to be the RTR boat to have as the hull and hardware were fantastic. Unfortunately the finished product really didn't live up to what I expected from them. It is way underpowered with the .18 in it as the hull is the same size as their .21/.45 Cat's. Trying to put a decent .21 in there is a chore as the motor mount is a lump of 'glas instead of them using engine rails in there. It has been done but Remy and the boys should have placed at least a pull-start .21 in there. With the ProBoat and Aquacraft's coming out with cheaper and faster boats they've kind of gotten left behind.
There were a lot of people who laid out cash ahead of time for a boat that they waited too long to get and that didn't help matters either. Not knowing what engine or radio system they were getting was another problem.
The first version had a CEN Racing .15 in it, the reason why the yellow one has the .15 on it and had a Miss Bud header and pipe. It was custom painted by Dean Werges so the paint job alone probably cost more than what the boat sells for, you had to see it in person to see the tiny details that Dean put into it.
Thanks. I guess that narrows it down. I was already leaning towards the Vegas or TC31 due to the aftermarket and following. I just have to decide about which one to get. I think the Vegas may be the way to go. Im not real keen on the graphics on the TC although I feel it may handle the rougher water better.

I think it will come down to which one ultimately will be the fastest?????
Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 AM
unclecrash

Default RE: Newbie Q's. Thundercat 31, Aeromarine Mean Machine, Miss Vegas?s

The vegas willnot take the chop like a v or cat will. The hydro is made to go in an oval. But will be quick on a calm pond or lake. Dave
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 PM
2manyhobbys

The TC31 has decals that are easily removed the boat is a pearl white so color is'nt a problem For what is is worth I opped for the Thunder cat and have not been disapointed.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
dougaldy

SpinWax,

Stay away from the MM18, you will not be happy with the purchase. I have a friend who bought one and he wished he would have never bought it. Everything about the boat is low quality, I just put a new OS .18 in it for him and had to move the stuffing box over about an 1/8th of an inch due to it being way off from the factory. I also have a friend who has the TC 31 and is completely satisfied with it. It has been said time and time again, that even though these are RTR boats, they still need a good looking over before you run them.

Scott
Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 AM
toyotatruckin

Out of the box the tc31 is a faster more stable boat with fewer problems to fix and a good boat if your just getting into the hobby its very easy to set-up also
Old 11-16-2006, 09:59 AM
quickwedge

I hve the 2 tc 31's a areo mm,a vegas,bud and llumar.Ron is right about the areo mm,it's fast with the .21 but not a easy set up for a first boat,engine mount and no room for the belt. my tg 31's both have twisted mods and are fast and lots of fun. best all around runners,light chop smouth water ,turns right and left ect.next is my vegas,also has twisted mods,turn fin,rudder,prop,coupler shaft and I am installing a o.s 18.tz-tx,with a mac's pipe..it should be lots of fun.I don't think you would be unhappy with a tc 31 as a first boat.but read all the post's then decide.

quick
Old 11-16-2006, 10:49 AM
misshydro

quickwedge,Why are you sticking a .18 in the vegas!! I would go with a hot.21 and man it will fly!! Guys!!! Go check out my post!!!!!! I have a Miss Budwiser witha.21 in it!!!!! and man she's flys!!! That .21 up grade was the easyest mod I'd ever done!!! But My boat is the old strait shaft drive system.Check it out and let me know what you guys think?!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
spinwax

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

I think I will get the TC31. I read above that the decals are removable? Is that correct? They look pretty cheap.

I have been on the Twisted site numerous times. Anyone else making good after market for the TC31?

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There's not a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for these boats. We do have the huge T-Cat thread in here though with tons of tips.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:51 AM
schdp

Yes, they are removeable... I have removed mine then just used a little wax to get off any of the sticker residue.