Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Need prop suggestions...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Need prop suggestions...

Old 11-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need prop suggestions...

This has probably been beat to death some place on the web...but I need some suggestions for props. I have an old Dumas Lil Rascal (wood outrigger hydro). It has an OS FSR .10 engine in it and has a 1/8th inch drive shaft. This boat was stored for...ummmm....about 20 years. I pulled it out and got it going again. I have always had a problem with prop selection on this boat.

Dumas sells a couple props, but they don't seem to do too well. I tried their .09 prop today (part number 3002) and it could not even get the boat up on plane.

I have another prop (brown), that I have no idea what it is, and it did better, but still not quite up on plane. Let me describe what it did, and hopefully someone can tell me if it is the wrong type, or if I should go bigger/smaller, more/less pitch, etc... The boat seems to go faster at mid throttle then it did at full throttle, but I don't think it was throwing a rooster tail. At full throttle it is throwing a rooster tail, but seems to be going slower. Some times in a turn it would suck air into the water around the prop (cavitate) and would fall off its plane. I am guessing it is the wrong type of prop, but I have no idea what to look for. Are there certain traits or part numbers I should look for when I am looking for a surface drive prop, as compared to a regular prop??

Background...long ago I had a prop on this boat that worked well. It was made for a 3/16ths drive shaft. I had put a short piece of copper tube in so it would fit that 1/8th inch shaft on the boat. The locknut got worn, and I threw the prop. I have no idea who made it, what part number it was, etc, etc...but wish I did.

I don't have the knowledge/equipment for polishing and balancing a prop, so would like to find another plastic one to use. The brown one I mentioned above is also shimmed to fit the 1/8th inch shaft, and I have no problem doing that to another prop (if one is suggested that has a 3/16th inch bore.

TIA for your input,
Sean
Old 11-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Sean Bowf

Default RE: Need prop suggestions...

OK, I can see the brown prop is an octura, and I can see the numbers 435, but can't see the preceeding digit but looking at the ones that are available now, it must be a 1435.

So with how the boat acted (described above), what would you guys suggest as some plastic props to try?? If I can figure out a good prop to use when testing with plastic ones, I will probably drop the money on the equivalent metal one...

Sean
Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Jerry Dunlap

AquaCraft sells a plastic version of the Y535 that works well with 15/18 size engines.

Octura has a plastic version of the X432 that would be another choice.

JD
Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Sean Bowf

Jerry, been reading a little about props...and it seems some folks say the X and Y series are not made for hydros, but I thought a lot of folks run the Miss Vegas with these props...any input to this?? What I am referring to is comments about lift, and the X and Y props not supplying it.

Sean
Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Jerry Dunlap

X and Y series props would not be considered lifting props, but they do work on applications like the Miss Vegas. I go with what works.

JD
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Sean Bowf

OK, I ordered the Miss Vegas prop from tower, and will see if my engine can turn it.

I also ordered a few (4 or 5) props that are all coming from the same place. Pretty sure about half of them will not work, but I will play with them all and see what I can learn. I will need to do some more looking to find the x432. I want to see if I can find it from some place that isnt going to charge me $9 to ship it to me.

If nothing else, I might try to hand tune the Miss Vegas prop to bring it down in diameter.

Two of the props I ordered are listed as y531 and y534. What is the difference between an X prop and a Y prop?

Sean
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
mrfixitwhite

hi sean
im in the sme situation as you -need some info on props!
but heres a link for an X431 in plastic
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-NEW-X431-O...em150062338772
its an ebay shop and theyre in hongkong but even then shipping is still small!
i've bought all my flex drive and shaft and coupler from there. cheap enough!
hope that helps
Graham
Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Sean Bowf

Thanks, but I think I have my prop problem fixed (see pic below). After I put the MCM on, it ran like a screaming banchee. It is turning the 1435 fine now. It still loses its bite in the corners, so there is probably a better prop to use that I need to find. I wish I could find a better header. The LHS tried to talk me into a flex one...I don't think that is a good idea. My tub it so deap, it would be hard to get one that would get the pipe on top of the radio box. I have a smaller can I want to try later. If nothing else, it would look better than that big one sticking out on the side of the boat.

I ordered five props from the folks in hong kong. For some reason I did not see the 431 when I made my order. I ordered pretty much every plastic prop they had that I thought might work, and some that I am pretty sure won't work. I will have to look through the UK ebay site and see if they are listed different, if I missed it, or if they listed more. I take it you must be in the UK....how long does it take you to get stuff you order from them??

I have a water intrusion problem with my radio box I need to work on. I can't figure it out. The only thing left that I have not checked is the lid. I think it is the foam seal on the lid. I will have to make a post to see what folks are using to seal their radio boxes. The LHS does not carry much in the manner of boats, but he was talking about some sealing tape that folks use to just stick their lids on (no screws or anything). He said you have to reapply it every time you take the lid off. Sounds like a pain to me, and I would be afraid that the lid would blow off (since mine is on top of the tub). There has to be something better...

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80651.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	564984  
Old 11-23-2006, 05:28 AM
mrfixitwhite

i think that prop is a new one they just added -im subscribed to their NEW STUFF OUT LIST !! lol
it takes from about 8-12 days to get the stuff(yes UK here)- my LHS takes 4 weeks to order anything in!

is your radio box lid screwed down onto the foam? if so and water is coming in that way- i put a good wedge of vaseline round the foam and press the lid onto mine.
if your pushrod exits are a real good fit then you'll find it almost suctions on to the box top!
if their not try and fill the seals with some vaseline as well- real cheap and clear aswell so if you get it on your clothes it doesnt show!

good luck!
Graham

Forgot to say Nice boat!
i bet it flies-got any vids of it running?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Sean Bowf

No videos yet...though I thought of trying to get one today when I run it to see if my radio box fix worked...

Sean
Old 11-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Sean Bowf

The water was choppy today, and I was having a hard time keeping the boat running...but [link=http://media.putfile.com/Dumas-Little-Rascal-RC-boat]here is a short video of my run this morning[/link].

Sean
Old 11-24-2006, 02:48 AM
mrfixitwhite

Nice!
is that flat out or was it difficult with the water so choppy?
other riggers i've seen seem to like full flat out runs to get right up on plane and flat water
they seem to struggle and then its like someones give 'em a poke with a sharp stick lol! WOOM theyre off
yours copes with that choppy water REALLY well!
and you have a lot more water to run in than the pond i run at

any water in radio box after your run or did you sort it?
Old 11-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Sean Bowf

Had a lot of cavitation with the water so choppy, so tried different throttle settings to keep it on plane. I don't think that was full throttle, but don't remember.

I had lowered the stuffing box a LONG time ago after I built it, so it does a little better in rough water than it probably should. Though, I am also probably losing some top end speed because of the way it is set up now. Working on trying to figure out the strut systems, then I will probable switch the boat over to an adjustable strut. I fear the added weight, because the boat sits REAL low in the water when it is not running. So not sure how the added weight on the back of the boat will affect that.

Still having problems with water in the radio box. It is a lot better, but still unacceptable. It would not bother me to have just a bit of water in there after a day of running (I could put some absorbant material in there to keep it collected). But it is bad enough that I am taking it apart after every run to get the water out, and trying different things to keep it out.

Sean