Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

How do you seal your radio box lid?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

How do you seal your radio box lid?

Old 11-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you seal your radio box lid?

Having problems with a radio box leak. I am pretty sure (now) that it is the top seal. My radio lid is a piece of plexi, that rests on a foam rubber seal, and is held down by 10 or 12 screws.

The guy at the LHS said that folks are sealing their boxes with a double sided tape now (no screws, no fasteners of any kind). Then every time they go in their box they have to redo the tape. This true? If so, do you guys have some sort of external charge jack for the receiver batteries, or do you just charge them and redo the tape every time you go to the pond?

Sean
Old 11-22-2006, 08:47 PM
misshydro

Default RE: How do you seal your radio box lid?

Some are useing a magnet system to seal it.I use electrical tape on my hydro with no proublems. also some are using hosptial tape/the tape that you use on goss or big bandaids.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:13 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Most do use tape for radio box lids. No external charge jack is needed, or even desired. You should ALWAYS open up your radio box at the end of the day to let it dry out. If it got any water in it, pull out the receiver and battery to be sure they can air out.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:15 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

I use radio box tape from Precision Boats Racing (no longer in business). Just make sure the radio box is clean and put the tape down sealing the lexan cover. I also use a hole big enough to get my charge cord out when needed. This also acts as a breather hole to allow any condensation to air out. Tape is used to cover this hole.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Flabum

I use what is similar to radio box tape. I also have closed cell foam tape under the lid to keep it from chaffing (I'm picky). As long as your switch, rudder link and throttle thru-box seals hold, there should be no or microscopic amounts of water getting in with tape.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The old trick with the screw down radio boxes is not using the foam but a silicone sealant. Lay a bead around the box then cover the radio box lid with a Saran Wrap type of plastic and try to make it wrinkle free. Screw the lid on and let it set. Once it's dry, pull the lid off and remove the Saran Wrap.
Make sure that the sealant doesn't have an ammonia odor as the fumes can mess with the electronics.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Sean Bowf

Thanks Ron, I was thinking of going that route. I had thought of waxing the plexi and then setting it in the sealant, then tightening it down after it all drys.

I really don't remember if the radio box used to leak on it when I first built it or not...but it is leaking pretty good now...

I changed out the foam rubber seal on it earlier tonight. I think I will bring a roll of electrical tape with me during my next trip "just in case", so I can finish the day at the pond if it does leak still. If it leaks again, I will try the silicone/saran wrap idea.

Thanks again,
Sean
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 PM
wave waker

since i don't have much luck with radio box tape, i found 3M scotch vinyl electrical tape doing a good job.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Sean Bowf

You guys are saying to use the electrical tape to tape the lid on right?? Or are you using it between the box and the lid as a gasket?

Thanks again,
Sean
Old 11-23-2006, 03:10 AM
unclecrash

I think they are using the ele.tape to tape the lid down. Me myself like the stuff you can get at office max or office depot its good and sticky it has the fiberglass in it running both directions. This stuff is tough as nails and good and sticky. You will have to cut it to width.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:54 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Yup, it's used on top of the box lid to tape it down.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Believe It
Banned

ive never had any issues using radiobox tape (TARATAPE). I always put it on, then use the flat side of a small pair of sissors i have to run down the 'seem' where the lid meets the box sides. Have had my nitro cat upside down for 10+ minutes at a time and had not a drop of water in the box when i got it back.

Only drawback is if you leave it on for a few days it leaves alot of gook on the box & lid... which comes off with alcohol. But i pull the lid after every day of running to inspect that nothing is damp anyways.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Sean Bowf

Well, the new foam rubber seal helped some, but still too much moisture getting in the box. The roll of electrical tape I took with me was too old to know if it was helping (it was not as sticky as it should have been).

Time to try the silicone sealer...and maybe a different type of tape. I will find some sort of tape locally to try until I make another order on line, then I will get the stuff made for it and see how it works.

Thanks for your inputs,
Sean
Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 PM
unclecrash

I bought a roll of radio box tape but like you said it s not very sticky. Thats why I like the packing tape not the stuff with fiberglass running one direction the stuff with the crisscross pattern of glass I use it to strenghten wings and fuselages on foam planes and all sorts of stuff it holds real well.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Sean Bowf

I will see if I can find some Unclecrash, thanks.

Sean