Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Paint and Gelcoat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Paint and Gelcoat

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:10 PM
skymortar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint and Gelcoat

thank you.to be honest with you,i dont know what spray cans cost.(miss hydro,if your in the busieness you know that clearcoat is 450 dollars a sprayable gallon.)that is my point,its a hobbie,keep it simple,its not the world of wheels.(chrome dont get you home)see ya on the water.kiss,keep it simple stupid
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM
misshydro

The Cross fire system good clear gallon is 76 dollars the hardner is 43 dollars a quart and reducer that use in color and clear is 26 dollars.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:19 AM
Recon8541

How about magic markers? Whoa I was only kidding!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In answer to the Initial thread question, Yes - sand it first........ Make Sure the Paint you use is compliant with the paint on the boat, I explain this further below.

I use LustreKote by top flight for all of my boat and plane applications. Most hobby stores or online @ towerhobbies etc...

Paint steps, • Not commenting on sticker procedures • But definatley take them off before sanding!!

First things first, Check the manufactures specs on the hull. Might not be Gelcoat but fiberglass and some paints will soften materials. Somebody hear mentioned research.... I cannot agree more and don't ask how I know[&o]

1 - Lightly sand it, don't gouge it with heavy sandpaper or scotchbrite pad (red...) - otherwise it will take quite a few light coats to fill the scratches. use grey or HOMEDEPOT....sells a sandpaper pad that is awesome - get different grits. It is a foam block with two different grits impregnated around it and conforms to odd shapes really well.

2 - Properly prime it, not too heavy of a coat. 2 light coats shoud be sufficient.

3 - Mask to your desired pattern or paint solid, whatever.

4 - Paint multiple light coats, Let sit in between each coat, I do a 1/2 hour to become tacky then paint another coat. If you paint multiple coats too fast, They will start to run due to the weight of the paint on curved areas.

5 - Clearcoat it with same brand paint.

Fuelproof Lustrekote paint spray cans - $7.00 ea

Most people here on this site will save for a year to get 100 dollars, .......and not for paint. It is a hobby, some are more serious than others - 75 bucks per quart. That's what I spent when I myself painted my 1970 Firebird.

Prime it first with same brand of Paint you are using otherwise it will orange peel on you, Nothing makes you more mad than that.
DO-NOT use Hangar 9 brand paints and Lustrkote clearkote even though they say they are compatible!!! Orange peels.
Do not use any Krylon with a ppg style clearcoat, Orange peels!!

This was a little more complex due to masking but same principles apply, This is what works for me and I get complimentitive results.

Take your time and as was stated before, You will get good with practice. Don't rush.

Utilize test areas!!!

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67647.gif
Views:	17
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	611493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86830.gif
Views:	12
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	611494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94295.gif
Views:	17
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	611495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49764.gif
Views:	21
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	611496  
Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM
BUDMAN27

Any pics of the Blue Angle boat yet Misshydro?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
misshydro

I can get my quarts of paint for 30 dollars!! I use martenserior paints they are tec base and crossfire systems at NAPA stores.I've been using them since 1992 and nevered had a proublem with there paints eather. Now they came out with a new spot clear that cost only 16 dollars for a quart and a quart of hardner cost 20 dollars.This stuff is supper great for small boats projects!! I most of the time charge 50 dollars to paint a boat!! prices vary on paint sceems!!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 AM
toyotatruckin

ORIGINAL: Recon8541

How about magic markers? Whoa I was only kidding!!!!!!

LOL! yes,markers!!!, you could even hit the hull with spray glue and sprinkle glitter on it, HAY you could even get frisky and take some tin foil spray it with gold paint cut your lettering out glue it on and call it gold leaf!!! Dont forget to hit walmart for your spray clear!!! LOL