Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Paint and Gelcoat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Paint and Gelcoat

Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint and Gelcoat

Do I need to sand the gelcoat on my ProBoat Thundercat before I paint it?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 PM
hughbell

Default RE: Paint and Gelcoat

It would be a good idea to do that, so the primer or paint has a better surface to adhere to. I did it on my TC, followed the paint with a wet sanding, and good polishing/waxing. Added some decals from walmart, and wished i would have done it sooner.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:29 PM
misshydro

If the boat dont have any decals.You just use a red scotch bright pad to ruff up the sufface with and use tar and wax/greese remover and then use paint sealer then paint it..But if has decals you need to sand them off with 220 to 320 wet sand paper then prime it and wet and it with 400,then use the red scotch bright pad to scuff the rest of the boat.when you done with that use tar and wax remover and then use paint sealer to help paint to bite on the gelcoat and also helps locked scratches down too.After that then you paint it. You dont need to prime the hole boat,just the bad spots or where it had decals at. I'd know about this very well.I've been painting real car and boats for 20 years.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:53 PM
skymortar

if the boat has decals that are not cleared over,do not sand them off.heat them and peal them off.if you try to sand them off you will make the hull wavy,because as you sand the decal you are sanding the surface around it also creating an uneven surface.if the decal leaves glue on the hull use some thinner or pretty much any solvent to clean the glue off.now sand it.if youre painting something it absolutely needs to be sanded.paint needs something to grip.if you have a perfect hull you just want to change the color of,scotch brite is fine[red for solid colors and gray for mettalics]if your repairing damage you need to research it.any questions shoot me a message
Old 11-30-2006, 12:00 AM
hughbell

[img][/img] hope i did this right, trying to upload pic of my TC. Didn't paint the bottom of hull, wanted to keep the edges of sponsons the way they were, didn't want to round them anymore than they already are.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13178.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	569152  
Old 11-30-2006, 12:04 AM
misshydro

Those decal are cleared over like My Miss Budwiser is!!! there wasnt any glue on it eather,just a clear sheeting over it.You should be abel to peal it right off!But if your got glue on it use laqure thinner on it and it will wipe off.Plus I use red scotch bright on all finishes and had not proublem with it.just rember to use paint sealer before you paint your boat.[8D]
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 AM
msu68stang

Decals are already pulled off. I guess I'll go get a red scotch brite pad. Thanks guys.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
misshydro

Just dont sand it to hard with it,or it will leave deep scratches,just use it light ,it will sand well.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM
msu68stang

Ok guys I'm missing it where do I obtain this mysterious red scotch brite pad. I can only find the green and blue ones.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 PM
unclecrash

Automotive paint store, Ive seen them at home depot. I used to work with a very good painter and he would never use red only grey.But a good sealer will probably hide the sand scratches from the red pad its alot courser than the grey.With most sealers there not supose to be sanded so you better know how to spray it on proper. Dave
Old 11-30-2006, 10:02 PM
misshydro

Go to your NAPA store!! That were I get my paints and my supplys there!!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
cwaterhunter

HOME DEPOT?!!!! man i cant get away from that place.... i work there lol
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
misshydro

I'd always used red because Some of my bodyshop friend and I'd had proublems using the gray one and had paint peal off because it wasnt corse enought for paint to stick!!I even used it on body panels to blend with too!!Just say if a fender had a small dent in it,and I'd fixed the dent and scotchbright it with red one,the hole fender with it.Then paint and blend the color in that area and then clear the hole fender.I'd never saw any sand scratches from it.But if your painting the hole boat then you need to use paint sealer. Unclecrash! I'd never said to sand paint sealer.Look at what I'd said about painting.[>:]
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM
unclecrash

I think you better go back and read I never said you said to sand paint sealer.I simply stated that paint sealer was not meant to be sanded so he better Know what he is doing when its applied. Because if sprayed wrong and you get orange peal or runs you cant sand it.[>:]
Old 12-06-2006, 10:48 PM
misshydro

Ok.But if he mess up the sealer he better let it dry over night to rewet sand it.Or he will have it paint lift on him if he trys to sand it right away.[>:]
Old 12-06-2006, 10:57 PM
unclecrash

I dont know why you had problems with gray scotch brite we used them for years never had paint lift. Maybe you didnt scuff enough.We never used red too course.The painter I worked with was so good never ever had to take a wheel to his paint. If he had to fix aspot on fender prepsolve then gray scotch brite blend the paint then clear the whole thing.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 PM
misshydro

It was scuffed enough with gray but the paint didnt stick right.Thats way I'd and other body shops guys used red ones.[>:]
Old 12-06-2006, 11:31 PM
unclecrash

Maybe it was not prepsolved good enough. Like I say we used gray for years with no adhesion problems. Maybe its the NAPA paint if its not PPG maybe you should go back to it.[>:]
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: hughbell

[img][/img] hope i did this right, trying to upload pic of my TC. Didn't paint the bottom of hull, wanted to keep the edges of sponsons the way they were, didn't want to round them anymore than they already are.

nice one,,,my favorite color[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-07-2006, 12:24 AM
misshydro

Unclecrash!! I hate to tell you this The napa cross fire system is awsome!! The paint I was using was ppg and dupont paint that pealed off !!! Dupont had the biggest proublems in the early 90s with clears pealing off!! 8 shops that was using there paint had the same proublems too!!!.My peperation is good too!! I use the same peration for 20 years.I learned this at painting school.You use good tar wax greese remover to wash the panel down and use a new dry rag to wipe it dry and use a tack cloth to wipe the panel down with to get any dust/dirt/lint off .
Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 AM
unclecrash

Well I hate to tell you I dont think it was the PPG. Prep maybe PPG doubt it.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:47 AM
misshydro

Yes PPG too!! I'd got reburst from them too!! I'd went to PPG paint school Too!! But I'd rether use PPG then DUPONT!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 AM
unclecrash

Hey I cant say much the theres a Mod that dont like me But Maybe the system you use is good but far as Im concerned I dont believe PPG is the reason your paint lifted PPG is one of the best systems I know. Maybe it lifted because of the old paint or something on it that the prepsolve wasnt removing. You yourself said in another thread something about using PPG but I think you said that its hard to find by you and NAPA was convienent. Or something to that fact. Cant find the thread or I would post it.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
skymortar

i can not bite my tongue any longer.if you're painting metallics you use a gray scotch brite.(yes you can seal it but thats an extra 100 dollars in material)the paint does not peel from a gray pad.a red pad is fine for solid colors because there is no metallic to flip over.bottom line is,i have done alot of show cars and i know what it takes to make that product.we are dealing with rc boats.everything is free for me and i have the means to make a show boat.i spent an hour painting my boat start to finish because the boat go's in and out of the car gets beat up royally and it just isnt worth it.if you came to me for a paint job you could literally spray can your boat 20 times for what i would charge,evetually your going to get good at it.now take that money and put it into electronics or more importantly motor and go have fun.when the sob is screamin just like you have been waiting for it could be pink for all i care.sorry but just primer the thing.id rather be top dog and ugly than prom queen loser
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
misshydro

He was taking about spray painted it in the first place! I told him what spray paints to get!!Dupli-color makes good primes and sealers and decent paints too for 5 dollars a can!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.