Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

german offshore cat "agitator"? hmmm

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

german offshore cat "agitator"? hmmm

Old 12-02-2006, 10:41 AM
HannSumm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default german offshore cat "agitator"? hmmm

hi i'm interested in buying this boat http://www.hydromarine.de/hm_20914.htm with hardware from them also i guess. does anyone have anymore info or pics of this boat and what other hulls are good competition against it? i was going to go the electric route with fast brushless and 16+ cells however i'm now considering running her with nitro.. it says this boat is for a .21 size engine but could it take a .45? what speed should i look to get this boat to for her to be properly "fast" (i.e 40-50mph?) What is respectable and possible/ competitive (with a .21 and what about with a .45 is it fits)? Also what are all the benefits to running nitro over electric and vice versa and what would be the more expensive option of the two, not that i'm too concerned i'd just like to know?

also just out of interest what is the smallest size scale class 1 cat that i can run gas in? i'd like to run gas but i really don't want a boat much bigger than 30inches, what are the benifits of gas and of the 3- FE, nitro and gas which is the fastest?

my budget for the hull and hardware and everything minus the radio, engine, starter gear is about USD400 any idea's

any info would help thanks so much
Hann
Old 12-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: german offshore cat "agitator"? hmmm

I can't read that link too well but it appears that the boat is recommended for .12's to .21's so dropping a .45 in it may be overkill. A decent .21 wil put you in the speed range that you want to be in.
Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
Gas boats are easier to start and tune than nitros are plus the fuel is cheaper. You can wrap up more money initially though.
Electrics, if you go brushless and with Li-Poly cells is a higher cost initially also but barely any maintenance is needed. I'm a glutton for punishment so I run nitro right now but have a gas boat in the works.
It's all a matter of personal choice. Which is fastest depends on how the boat is set up. You can buy cheap electric and nitro powerplants or get the more expensive ones.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:39 AM
HannSumm

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I can't read that link too well but it appears that the boat is recommended for .12's to .21's so dropping a .45 in it may be overkill. A decent .21 wil put you in the speed range that you want to be in.
Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
Gas boats are easier to start and tune than nitros are plus the fuel is cheaper. You can wrap up more money initially though.
Electrics, if you go brushless and with Li-Poly cells is a higher cost initially also but barely any maintenance is needed. I'm a glutton for punishment so I run nitro right now but have a gas boat in the works.
It's all a matter of personal choice. Which is fastest depends on how the boat is set up. You can buy cheap electric and nitro powerplants or get the more expensive ones.

thanks for that Ron,,, saying a .45 did fit the boat wouldn't the "overkill" just mean more power and speed? would it be uncontrolable or what is the problem providing a .45 fits? Any idea with a decent .21 what speed range you'd expect or hope to hit? also as for racing her is there a common class for something like this with a .21 or .45 in the UK? Also is nitro "a lot" more work and if so how, how often do u need to rebuild a nitro and what is the regular up-keep for a nitro?

Also sorry one more question (so sorry i've got too many i kno is would the hardware be very different if u ran electric over nitro or the same minus the motormount and engine coupling and things like this?

Thanks again :]
Old 12-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Raylon

The engine probably wouldn't fit ad because it's a cat you would have some flipping issues due to the increased speed that it is not designed to handle. Nitro is not a lot of work you just have to research and know what you're doing before just jumping in and running the thing. Same hardware I believe. Shouldn't change at all except for the things you mentioned.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:11 AM
HannSumm

hmmm thanks for the tips Zel
Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 AM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

dont quote me but that boat you are looking at is made for electric 12 to 18 cells not nitro .12-.18 if im wrong dont shoot me but im almost positive, but these electric hulls are great for the fact of the decreased weight , i have a german 55 drifter XL it is sooo light im putting gas in it and what im doing to reinforce it a little more is im laying carbon fiber in the hull and that will do the trick ,
Old 12-03-2006, 08:55 AM
ec121

The 12-18 is the cell count if it is the electric version. The motor version is 2.5 to 3.5 ccm in the title and 1.8 to 3.5 in the text?. It is 720mm long, about 28in. long.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 AM
crazyotto

so i guess i was half right correct? i love the german boats and sites i just cant read it [:@]
Old 12-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Ron Olson

No problem. You can go to www.finedesignrc.com and see the same boats in English.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM
HannSumm

thanks ron great site,, they don't seem to stock the agitator maybe it's a new model as nobody seems to know any first hand info on it?

thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Ron Olson

Chris doesn't update the site too often so give him a call to see if he has them.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
malibu 81

is there any new info on this boat yet?