Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Need boat advice

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Need boat advice

Old 12-07-2006, 04:56 PM
JPBIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need boat advice

I am considering building a Dumas 3.5 or buying the Aquacraft topspeed2. I would equip them with the same motor,OS21.
Which one would drive,handle better? Which would be faster?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Need boat advice

If you enjoy the process of building, you might enjoy the dumas kit a little more (I'm making the assumtion you are reffering o the sprint 3.5 or 4.0). if you are looking for the a tunnell that out of the box has all the guess work taken out of it, is built on current technology and materials, then the best way to go is the Topspeed.

Enjoy!!!
Mark!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
JPBIII

Thanks, I enjoy building. But I like the fact that the Topspeed is a little bigger boat.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I don't think the topspeed is that much bigger than a sprint 3.5. I'm sure the topspeed would be a better perfomring boat.
Not to throw a wrench in your thought process but if you can find anything made by "Grimracer" you would feed your need to build a kit at the same time get one of the highest quality best performing tunnels ever made. One of the kits is called a "nemisis". Another is a little smaller and for the life of me can't think of the name right now. if you have time, it might be worth the search for one. Every now and then someone who knows where a kit is will read the forum and give you a heads up on location.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:53 PM
JPBIII

I will look into the nemisis. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven the Dumas with a stock K&B. It seemed to be a great sport boat. But when the owner of the boat was driving and I launched my boat, even the smallest wakes made the little Dumas very unstable. It travelled low 30's according to GPS.

Considering the TS2 is 6 inches larger, I would imagine it would handle much better than the Dumas as it is only 26" in length.

Ryan

Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 PM
TomMoorehouse

dumas is a very old design, the ts2 would be great. if you want to build from plans jerry dunlap sells them. he designed the dumas boat. i will be posting a free tunnel plan on intlwaters as soon as i have the time. grimracer villain and grimracer nemesis. great kits..... no longer made as mike works for aquacraft now.... i'm jealous!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:03 AM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: JPBIII

I am considering building a Dumas 3.5 or buying the Aquacraft topspeed2. I would equip them with the same motor,OS21.
Which one would drive,handle better? Which would be faster?
it so happened i own both and just my opinion i like and more fun running dumas, what dumas can do,ts2 can't..check the dumas 3.5 building thread here u may get more info.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:11 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

The TS2 will handle today's hot motors while the Dumas won't. I've been able to get my Hot Shot Sprint radar'd at 46.3 mph - K&B SS (STOCK - no changes) with a x1440 b/c from Props-4-U. There is another Dumas in our club that runs a mild mod'd K&B that was radar'd at 47.5 (+/-) mph...

I've owned a TS2, sold it to WW. Still have my Hot Shot Sprint. When I do get another boat to run B Sport Tunnel, this will become my play boat.

As already noted, the Dumas is over 20 years old while the TS2 is only a few years.

Length: Dumas is 24" while the TS2 is 30"..

I'm with Tom, jealous of Mike.....
Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 AM
JPBIII

I guess I will just have to get both of them!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:47 AM
10x8

I have to agree with Wave Waker. Dumas is alot of fun. I converted mine to elec and run nitro on the TS2.
Plus, building the dumas is good experience if you like that. Gives you a sense of satisfaction seeing the boat YOU built hooning around. Dumas is shorter than the TS2, more kind of a stunt/mono boat, but will plane very well when setup correctly. I found the Dumas does prefer smooth glass like water.
Get them both mate?

Peter