Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

new agitator 28" offshore cat/// which engine, drives> hmmm

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

new agitator 28" offshore cat/// which engine, drives> hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:11 AM
HannSumm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new agitator 28" offshore cat/// which engine, drives> hmmm

hey everyone, thanks to everyone for their help i’ve learnt a lot here in the last week or so. I've decided i will order the new hydro marine 720mm agitator offshore class 1 cat http://www.hydromarine.de/hm_20914.htm (i may get the carbon/ Kevlar version i'm just waiting to here back abt the price, the boat isn't available till end January anyway).. Ok now that i've chosen my hull i need some recommendations regarding power and set-up...

I want to run her with a 3.5cc nitro and since i'm getting a very good high end hull i don't want to go cheap on the engine. i really like the look of the 2.9HP Rossi .21 Piranha Marine Engine http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...HYPROSSI133R21 does anyone have any experience with this engine and any advice or recommendations? I want a very high powered motor so what are the best options? also i want an engine i can still get spares for in the future and one that is proven and not over priced. Hydro marine recommended the OPS 21 RE Marine 3.5cc can anyone shed some light on what the best engine is and why in their view? and prices? Also are engines a lot more $ in europe for the same thing?

As for the running gear i wanted to ask about running twin drive shafts BPM drives? i guess i'd need a gearbox splitting power from the engine to both drive shaft is this set-up possible for this size boat and is it recommended? i like the realistic look of running 2 drives however is it possible? will the performance be changed and how would it compare against a more normal set-up? it'll be something like this http://www.hydromarine.de/hm_20743.htm however remember i will only be using 1x 3.5cc engine. if not i'll go with the more proven set-up as i think it may not be possible tho?

If anyone can give me any idea's and recommendations it would be a real help
Thanks! [8D]
Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: new agitator 28" offshore cat/// which engine, drives> hmmm

On the engine, I've got the Niagara version which is almost identical. They take a long time to break in, a good gallon or more of fuel to really see it wake up but you'll start to see it running better on every tankful of fuel.
I used a Nova Rossi header as the Rossi header stuck out too far on the side and am using an Irwin (now Cooper) quiet tuned pipe. I tried the Rossi and the OPS 3280 but the Irwin worked best for me.
Another good choice right now would be a CMB as there are plenty of dealers and parts around if you really want to haul the mail. The TT pipe that they have for that engine is cheap as really quiet. You can actually hear the water splashing off the hull!
I've heard that the OPS 3.5 is supposed to be a good engine but haven't seen one in action.
Don't try to mess with a dual prop setup, a single prop without a gearbox will do the job.
Keep things simple, you'll be glad that you did.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:16 AM
HannSumm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks ron,,, so ur saying the piranha would be a good chioce though (i've found it for USD323)? where can i find the niagara? i'll look into the CMB (i'm a nutter for realism so i like the whole italian connection with the rossi and CMB).. thanks for the advice regarding the dual props i think i may just take ur advice there also...
Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hyperformance Products, www.hyperprod.com is one of the dealers here in the US for them. The only real difference that I've seen between the two are the colors.
A quick shot of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76185.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	573642