Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

HP...

Old 12-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP...

I see over and over again that the HP rating on these engines is worthless unless you are comparing engines from the same manufacturer. On the opposite side, I also see folks try to use HP rating between two different brands to say that one engine is more powerful than another...

With all this said, has NO ONE ever done a comparison of the different engines to see how the HP ratings compare. I am talking about a third party kind of thing...a magazine or something. If nothing else, just taking a boat and a group of the same size engines...break them in and GPS the boat with each engine in it. Has anyone (magazine, etc) ever done anything like this??

Sean
Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts
Default RE: HP...

Not that I know of. Unfortunately, the HP and RPM ratings given by the manufacturers are often inflated or give no details on how that rating was achieved. My guess is they are run on a bench without any load, high nitro fuel and a tuned pipe to get some of these ratings. Your best way of knowing which engine is best is to actually go to a race and watch to see which boats are consistently fastest and winning their heats. to get even more info, talk to the owners/drivers and see what they did in the set up of their boat. It's amazing as to what you can learn through an innocent conversation