Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

What is the purpose of a skeg??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

What is the purpose of a skeg??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the purpose of a skeg??

In case I am using the wrong term, I am talking about the fin sticking out the bottom of a strut. Is it like a turn fin for something like a deep V boat?

The strut I ordered for my rigger has one. I don't think it should, but if I cut it off...there is no putting it back...so was curious.

This all goes along with the boat prop losing a little bite in a turn. The boat does not lose its plane, but I can hear it cavitate a little during a turn. I am thinking that part (most?) of the problem is my rudder location. I am thinking that part of it also might be the combination of a rudder, skeg, and a turn fin...

Sean
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Believe It
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the purpose of a skeg??

skeg is pretty much just that, a built in turn fin. They are mostly used on cats from what ive seen.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:32 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is the purpose of a skeg??

A skeg past the prop on a strut helps with preventing prop walk as the prop goes past half its diameter out of the water.

If the skeg isn't there, as the prop rises out of the water past it's hub it will want to kick out the rear of the boat.

Granted, it is not much surface area, and doubt if it helps a whole bunch, but its there to help. It does'nt hurt anything by being there, in fact it more of a help to have it as it helps protect the propeller against frontal damage. It stays pretty much "transparent" other than that.

It could also be used as a trim tab to take out any prop walk that exists, and leaving the rudder straight as it is.