Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Fuel

Old 12-22-2006, 12:08 PM
gooycheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel

Hi All,

I was wondering what the difference is between car fuel and boat fuel? I have a OS CV-R .12(car engine) and I am gonna try running Blue Thunder 30% will this fuel be good to use? If not what fuel would be the correct fuel to use? Manufacture recommends 30%, If running higher nitro was suggested where would I get it? My LHS's don't supply more than 30%.

Thank You

Paul

This will be going in a .12 rigger
Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Fuel

The main difference that I know of is many car fuels have less oil than boat or plane fuels. There are some in the boating circles who feel we are too conservative with respect to oil. One person I know runs his high nitro fuel with way less oil than recommended. He says he has no premature engine or bearing wear, but since my budget isn't as high as his, and I don't have his connections for getting reduced prices on parts, I'm sticking with the traditional oil content recommendations.

I order fuel directly from the manufacturer, but I buy at least 12 gallons at one time. That might be a bit much for you at this point.

OS says this about fuel for this engine series:
FUEL
Use only top quality methanol-based model engine fuel.For consistent performance and long engine life, it is advisable to use fuel containing AT LEAST 18% lubricant. This engine is designed to run on both low and high nitromethane content fuels,i.e. from mild mixtures containing a few percent of nitromethane, up to highspeed racing fuels containing 40% nitromethane. Generally, power output is increased-up to a certain point-as the nitromethane content of the fuel is increased.

As a starting point, we recommend a fuel containing 10-20% nitromethane, changing to a fuel containing more nitro only if necessary. When the nitro content of the fuel is increased or the brand of fuel is changed, it is advisable to initially run the engine with a richer needle-valve setting, so that the optimum setting for the new fuel may be rechecked as described in the RUNNING-IN paragraphs. When engines are run at very high speeds and on high-nitro fuels, glowplug elements do not last so long.
So, unless you're planning to race, or if you feel that you need more power, I'd say go with any 30% fuel that's got the right oil content. Heli fuel is often sold at 30%.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Believe It
Banned

from what i was told by a rep for Odonnell, ALL of their fuels (CAR, RTR, BOAT) have 18% oil content in them. Ive had no issues running 10% RTR, 35% RTR and 40% BOAT from them.

Slightly expensive around here though... around $40 a gallon. Man i love paying less then 2 dollars for a gallon of fuel for my gasser [:-]
Old 12-22-2006, 01:03 PM
gooycheese

That would be nice to pay less than $2 we pay around $2.30 for gas.

Paul

Otherwise I think I am having a retard spell going on here
Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Now you're comparing O'Donnell vs. Blue Thunder. I've seen an owners manual from one company who will void their engine warranty if you run Blue Thunder in their engines. This is from a company that makes both 4-wheelers and boats.
I've run O'Donnell and one thing that I did find out while burning up 2 gallons of it is that I found a lot of a creosote-like build-up in my pipes and headers, something that I hadn't seen with other brands.
The OS .12 will take up to the recommended 40% but I've run slightly higher, 55%. The quality of the fuel and lubricant has a lot to do with it.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:30 PM
gooycheese

So Ron what fuel do you recommend?

Paul
Old 12-22-2006, 05:18 PM
oldlugs

Hey there, gooy... I've had good luck with Powermaster fuels, but running their 50 and 60 %. I'm sure their 30% will work OK too. If it's easy to get, give Powermaster a try.

Duane
Old 12-22-2006, 05:32 PM
gooycheese

Cool I will check the LHS see if they have that. Is there such a thing as fuel getting old?

Paul
Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had good luck with several fuels. Ritch's Brew, Byron's, Red Max and Wildcat.
Nitro can last for years if you take care of it. Keep it cool, out of sunlight and off the floor, especially cement. I've seen what happens to fuel if it's left in the heat and sunlight, it's not pretty. A buddy left his on a sun porch and his turned to for lack of a better word, glop.