Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

4-stroke outboard speed boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

4-stroke outboard speed boat

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Patxipt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-stroke outboard speed boat

Ok everyone, accepting Saleens7 invitation, i present you my first powered boat project (aside from 3 airboats).
No name yet, nor will it have one. I'm having enough of bad luck these days....[&o]

The boat is an ABC Hobby LaserLine F1 boat kit.
Why am i putting a 4-stroker in it? 'Cos i got enough bad luck putting it on an airboat , and because i believe it's a novelty.

This kit comprises belt drive for the engine (which, apart from radio, is the only item one needs). Suitable sizes are .10~.15.

Since this engine has less rpm range than a 2-stroke, but a lot more torque, i've fitted a 16 teeth pinion on the engine and an 18 teeth pinion on the lower drive.
I'll be running the engine on the rich side and at a lower throttle opening to compensate the lack of a propeller (this baby is an airplane engine) for cooling. I might add a small PC cooling fan if need be.

So, with no further adue, here are some photos:

Old 12-22-2006, 02:47 PM
saleens7

Default RE: 4-stroke outboard speed boat

(sencind time saying this) nice project, this is interesting, hope it works out for ya, good luck..
Old 12-22-2006, 04:04 PM
wave waker

good lookin' hull...kinda interesting..keep us updated.

btw, thus the lower unit comes with the kit?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Patxipt

Yes, that's one of the main reasons i bought this kit, all one needs is engine, fuel tank and radio gear!
Of course, i had to buy 1/10th car engine mounts and adapt it, but it's a very complete kit if one has already a suitable engine... but this kit seems to be 8 years old. Oh! and i got a good price for it too :P it pays up going to the same LHS over and again and make friends with the owner
Old 12-22-2006, 05:57 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

It is an interesting concept to work on. Not to discourage you on this, but buy lots of lower belts, they will come off and sink. Replace all the bushing with bearings.

Look for any Dolphin thread within RCU. The Laserline became the Dolphin. Reason you got it for such a low prices is that the boat is a better suited as a anchor, hate to say it, but that is the truth of that boat. When RCBM did a review of that boat years back, even they could not come up with much good to say about it.

Good luck...
Old 12-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Patxipt

Any input is appreciated.
I want it to be more of a runnable test-bench to see how such an adaptation goes. I had the choice for a bigger boat similar to this for €75 more(can't remember the make or model), stiffer plastic and all, but with no engine/rudder support like this one, it's the type of boat that suits one of those integrated engines (for the lack of better words).
I just want to have some fun, and see if this is a good concept.
The pinions i bought have a kind of protection so the belt won't slip that easily, but one never knows.
Thanks for the input once more

EDIT: BTW, the owner of the LHS moded one for his son with a 540 electric motor and it rides well. So, it's what i say, a test-bench that runs lol
Old 12-22-2006, 06:49 PM
TIA

Lets see some video!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:07 PM
cwaterhunter

hi i have the same out drive with a .12,, where do you get extra belts?..i have looked everywhere,,, thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Patxipt

Latest news:
Couldn't find shorter belts for the engine side, so i'm now using a 27 pinion on the engine shaft This thing will enter Warp speed at idle [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Will try tomorrow to finish it a bit more, maybe it will see water this next week.
I know i know, VIDS! We at RCAA are the same lol
I have a trusty old OS 12 CZ-R that might do the job on it also, but i can find better spots (all the spots, really) if i run electric
Old 12-23-2006, 06:24 PM
saleens7

you may have stalling problems whenlaunching due to the extra force on the engine when at low rpm
Old 12-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Patxipt

For the moment i'm having dificulties relating to the accelerator positioning.
I will put my 12CZ-R on this boat for the time being while i think of a possible solution for the thumper and practice a bit driving it.
Like the man said once, i'll be back