Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

How does the flywheel fit onto an engine like the .12CVR

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

How does the flywheel fit onto an engine like the .12CVR

Old 12-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the flywheel fit onto an engine like the .12CVR

My .10 aircraft engine has the drive hub on it still. Then the flywheel just slides over the shaft, and the coupler tightens on and holds the flywheel onto the drive hub. It looks like a lot of .12 engines I see a pic of don't have a drive hub on them any more. So I was wondering how the flywheel was mounted on it, and how many threads are needed for this application (will a short crankshaft work). I also saw a little cone shaped thing, that sounded like it is used with a flywheel, so trying to figure it all out now...

Sean
Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How does the flywheel fit onto an engine like the .12CVR

fly wheels go onto the tapered collet, you need to remove the prop spacer,to do this heat it up and it should pop off.have you got a marine fly wheel? i have an sc 61 plane engine i bought a fly wheel to fit the marine version and to fit it you remove the prop spacer which just slides onto a tapered collet which fits onto the shaft. i used a blow torch to heat up the spacer and it popped right off.dont mistake the spacer for a flywheel as its not.you need a propper flywheel.i trust thats what you have?.the cone thing is the tapered collet that slides onto the engine shaft and the flywheel goes onto that its a pretty snug fit and it holds on once you attach the coupling for the propshaft.heres a pic of the prop spacer and what a flywheel looks like on the same engine.when you heat up the prop spacer it will pop off when it gets hot enough, under this will be a tapered collet your flywheel should fit over this providing its the right size.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30359.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	585115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79958.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	585116  
Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Sean Bowf

I take it by "prop spacer", you are talking about the drive hub? Item 10 in pic below.

I don't think the drive hub that comes stock with a .12 CVR has the tapered collet as part of the stock setup. The attached pic is from the manual for the engine.

Will the flywheel and coupler fit onto a short crankshaft (either an (S) version of the engine, or one someone has cut)?

On a side note, Tower shows the .12 CVR as a discontinued engine....wonder what will replace it...if anything.

Name:	Zx71201.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	585168  
Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 AM
martno1fan

looking at that set up its not familiar to me my sc has the tapered collet.you may not be able to get a flywheel to fit that engine.the fly wheel needs to have the tapered collet wether you can get a different one for your engine i dont know.maybe you can get one made to fit that will work but every one ive seen has the tapered collet, sorry i cant help more.what flywheel have you got? will the collet fit onto the shaft if you remove the spacer(drive hub).
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Sean Bowf

I dont' have a flywheel yet, but was looking at [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCB06&P=7]THIS ONE[/link], it says it has a 5mm hole, so should fit over the threaded shaft, from there, I am guessing it needs a drive hub...so a short shaft would not work. But I am not stuck on this flywheel, and am open for other suggestions.

Sean
Old 12-28-2006, 12:49 PM
gooycheese

That is the flywheel I use and I have the CV-R .12 and it fits perfect see pic.

Paul

Name:	Zx71874.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	585245  
Old 12-28-2006, 01:49 PM
martno1fan

well seems like you got it sorted mate i knew someone would come up with the answer sooner or later.by the looks of it it fastens on using a grub screw? correct me if im wrong cheezy.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Sean Bowf

Paul, is the drive hub on there still (can't tell from the pic)?.

So I take it a short crankshaft will NOT work?

Sean
Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
jdoug

Mart - No on the grub screw.

Sean Bowf - You need a collet and marine flywheel as Mart has suggested. The one you pictured should work fine. ...and no, short shaft won't work.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM
gooycheese

If you do some machining, not home mods unless you have a lathe a short shaft will work. if you turn the flywheel on the coupler side down some you can mount a coupler(if you try this make sure you have a flat surface for the coupler to seat i would recommend a lathe so you can cut the flywheel balanced). And yes I have the drive hub and the tapered coller the drive hub fits on. So on mine it goes front bearing/ tappered coller/ drive hub/ flywheel/ flex coupler. Also I am not sure if turning the flywheel down will make it to light? I would say no, you arent gonna take too much off maybe .125 .

Hope This Helps

Paul
Old 12-28-2006, 05:15 PM
martno1fan

it seems to me hes going to have to do a lot of work to make this work if it were me id forget it and buy a marine motor for it there are plenty out there and some great deals to be had if you look arround .try ebay theres usually lots on there ive had some real bargains.if you can ,get one with a recoil starter heres a buggy engine ,ive seen these used in boats a lot as long as they are run above the hatch of a boat they get enough air ,say in the wildthing ive seen them used in similar boats to that.a small boat will scream with this engine id say.
[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/O-S-2011-12-CV-X-w-Recoil_W0QQitemZ140068931369QQihZ004QQcategoryZ340 62QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 12-28-2006, 05:59 PM
martno1fan

heres another site you might like have a look at these.
[link]http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=38_925&osCsid=796027a42b2b54e595dff3d1819ef298[/link]
Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You won't be able to use the short shaft on a boat, you need the long one. The SG type has been used but I don't advise it as that one when shortened doesn't leave enough threads to really screw the flex cable collet onto.
The flywheel is fine as that's the same one that I use. The little round bar that comes with it is for holding the flywheel in place while you tighten down the collet.
You will need the spacer (part #10 up there) to give you enough room otherwise the flywheel will hit the carb.

Name:	Sq47107.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	585735  
Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 AM
martno1fan

basicaly it looks like you need a new engine for the job and like i said there are lots out there both marine or buggy engines will be ok for that size !!.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM
toyotatruckin

a spacer or it will hit the carb? This is how I run mine, bearing-tapered collet-flywheel it does sit close to the carb but does not hit it and this is with the blue flywheel which is a little bigger than the silver one even works on my dynamite .12 (no spacer)